Ruger MKIV Recall

I bought a Mk iv shortly after they came out, from Carl at 4 Seasons in Woburn. It's been flawless with CCI Mini-mag, Am Eagle, Velocitors, among others, although I generally use these, and I have about 600 rounds through it. I don't know if I'll send mine back, as I never rely on the safety anyways. My 2 daughters enjoy shooting this gun also. And the cleaning/reassembly? What a joy!

I bought a Mk iv shortly after they came out, from Carl at 4 Seasons in Woburn. It's been flawless with CCI Mini-mag, Am Eagle, Velocitors, among others, although I generally use these, and I have about 600 rounds through it. I don't know if I'll send mine back, as I never rely on the safety anyways. My 2 daughters enjoy shooting this gun also. And the cleaning/reassembly? What a joy!

I have the 22-45 and also have never even flicked the safety on. It's a range toy. Load....finger off trigger until on target shoot.

Thanks for posting this. My Hunter model is a recall. At least Ruger is throwing you a new mag as a "I'm sorry" about this.

+1 Appreciate the heads up! Mine qualifies as well but the free mag definitely ease the pain a bit. I never use the safety so I'll continue to shoot it until I get my shipping materials.

Well this kind of rots!! I have had my MK IV for a couple months now, with no issues at all. I do use the safety, but I always fully engage or disengage it. I will have to think about sending it back, but not until I get more feedback from you guys, and maybe the other Ruger forums. Thanks for the info anyway.

No the whole gun is not defective just the safety in some instances if left halfway between safe and fire can cause a problem.
Understood...but clearly the Mark IV's and their fancy new design are defective ;-)

My MKIV 22/45 Lite has been great. No issues.

According to the recall, only a small number of MKIV's are actually affected. So I tested mine out... cocked the gun... put the safety lever in the half position between on and off... pulled the trigger... released the trigger... then flicked the safety off. Nothing. The firing pin did not release.

I repeated that test about 30 times last night. No issues.

I don't see a reason to bother sending mine in.

Thanks for posting this. My Hunter model is a recall. At least Ruger is throwing you a new mag as a "I'm sorry" about this.

Yes, that is a nice incentive. But I note it says "customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine." Anyone know if MA fits into that category? I ask because S&W told me last year they could not ship a magazine to me (FS ended up accepting it on my behalf). But I've purchased magazines mail order since then, so I'm not sure what the story is.

I'm still confused about this. So if you put the safety on pull the trigger and then put the safety off it might fire? Hell I don't even use the safety on 90% of my guns anyway. I think I'll just keep mine as is and only load around when I'm ready to fire

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IMHO it's straight silly to even consider withholding a firearm from the manufacturer after they've issued a recall notice. new models frequently have recalls and any honest gun owner should be sufficiently flexible to allow the manufacturer to fix it. Further, if one ever decides to sell the gun then it's going to be important that the issue has been addressed. In terms of resale, it's worth keeping the documentation that the particular serial # has been fixed.

IMHO it's straight silly to even consider withholding a firearm from the manufacturer after they've issued a recall notice. new models frequently have recalls and any honest gun owner should be sufficiently flexible to allow the manufacturer to fix it. Further, if one ever decides to sell the gun then it's going to be important that the issue has been addressed. In terms of resale, it's worth keeping the documentation that the particular serial # has been fixed.

All of this is total BS in my humble opinion.

Wanna know why you may not send it back for a recall.....ask all the xd owners about the recall on those......when they came back the triggers were like dragging an aluminum ladder down a dry river bed.

All of this is total BS in my humble opinion.

Wanna know why you may not send it back for a recall.....ask all the xd owners about the recall on those......when they came back the triggers were like dragging an aluminum ladder down a dry river bed.

wouldn't that fall on Springfield Armory for craptastic work?

also, if the gun doesn't go back for repair, then how does one sell it to a dealer or personal buyer? tell them it's fine or just play like nothing was ever wrong with it?

This is the explanation from Ruger of what the problem is:

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.
I'm still confused about this. So if you put the safety on pull the trigger and then put the safety off it might fire? Hell I don't even use the safety on 90% of my guns anyway. I think I'll just keep mine as is and only load around when I'm ready to fire

I'm not happy about this I just recently had the Volquartzen trigger kit installed. They say to remove aftermarket accessories.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's best to just not rely on the safety and only pull the trigger when you want to fire (and if it dosnt because the safety was half on, keep it down range until it's unloaded and empty)

I've bought magazines from the Ruger store and they've shipped to Ma. They are only 10 rounds which makes them okay in Ma. and therefore shouldn't be a problem but you never know for sure.

Yes, that is a nice incentive. But I note it says "customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine." Anyone know if MA fits into that category? I ask because S&W told me last year they could not ship a magazine to me (FS ended up accepting it on my behalf). But I've purchased magazines mail order since then, so I'm not sure what the story is.

Back
Top Bottom