• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger MKIV Recall

I've already changed the internals on mine. So it's not going back

and there lies the rub. Many MK II/III/IV owners drop in aftermarket action parts first thing to get the trigger respectable (and/or remove the mag disconnect.)If you send the gun in with these parts, Ruger will remove and discard them. So your option is to gut the gun, send in the frame w original parts, wait till it comes back and then strip and rebuild it again with your parts.
I feel bad for those who paid a smith to do the trigger work as sending it in would take two runs through the smith AGAIN. Crazy when you think about it as the installation of the aftermarket (sear,trigger,hammer, spring,plunger,disconnector) parts likely cure any potential problem anyway.

FWIW: I emailed Ruger to see if they would just send the new safety parts and they ( not surprisingly ) refused. Clearly, this whole illogical process is being driven by the lawyers. They can keep their free mags.

Last edited:
I always wait for something like this to come and go before I buy anything...but I admit I'm holding out for the standard model...it's much sharper looking...

They "have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly."

So does every other gun in the world. Who are all these people out there who don't understand a safety needs to be fully engaged?

Non issue. For 99.9 percent of people this will be a range gun not a carry gun. I dont have one but if i did i would never send it back

I may just go to the range sometime this week and test fire my gun under conditions listed. If it does fail, then I may send it back. I never modified it. But no one else ever fires it besides me anyway. So , its really a toss up to send it back or not. I will wait a bit for the time being to see what happens.

The problem is that it may not fire when you pull the trigger but will fire when you move the safety I don't think other guns have the same problem or they would be recalled too.

They "have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly."

So does every other gun in the world. Who are all these people out there who don't understand a safety needs to be fully engaged?

Hi everyone, I just got my grip assembly back today. So far Ruger kept their word on the turnaround time and the free mag. While they took their sweet time sending me the box, it went from my post office to Arizona in about 2 days, they kept it about 5 business days, and then it came back to me after the weekend. Just letting you know if your thinking of doing it.

Last edited:
So, just make sure safety is full on or full off = No problem?
Maybe I don't comprehend this recall but somebody didn't use the safety properly and the gun went bang?

Thank You Sigfanboy13. I figure to go to the Ruger site, and list mine in a day or two. Since I have only shot it twice now, with no problems, it can be gone for a few days without hurting my shooting time.

So, just make sure safety is full on or full off = No problem?
Maybe I don't comprehend this recall but somebody didn't use the safety properly and the gun went bang?

So what happened was the safety was only halfway engaged but dropping the safety to the fire position discharged the gun. Now your safety should be used properly but it shouldn't have the option to be a trigger. This only happened on a small amount of guns but for a free mag and not hurting the resale value, why take a chance?

At least you only need to send the grip/frame in, and they're saying a week.

Just to update, sent mine in last Monday, they received it Thursday of last week and I got it back in yesterday's mail. 1 week total time. I think that's pretty awesome.

The safety definitely feels more positive now as you move the selector back and forth. Big thumb's up to Ruger on this one. Shit happens, they handled it as well as can be expected.

oh yeah, a free mag too :D

Well, I entered my MK IV serial no. on the Ruger site Saturday. It does have to be recalled, as I had thought. Now its just a matter of waiting for the shipping stuff to arrive. Like most of you guys have said, the free mag should be worth the trouble.

Yeah about a month for the shipping box.

My box came in today. I think it was only two weeks ago that I contacted Ruger about my MK IV. I plan on sending it back Tuesday. I think it will be a week to two weeks to get it back.
Hope 1903Collector got his shipping box by now.

I shipped mine out today via the post office. I thought there may be some trouble, but everything went ok. I got a receipt. Anyway, I will post when I get my lower back. Hopefully I will get a free mag too, even in this commie state.

Did anyone also send in the form that Ruger sent out by Email? I did not see it until after I had sent my lower in. I do not know if I should call them or not. I plan on waiting until the end of the week. If it does not show up this week, I will give them a call.

Understood...but clearly the Mark IV's and their fancy new design are defective ;-)

Unfortunately the completion is so fierce in the gun industry that sometime speed has to replace safety. I don't agree with that but that's just the way it is. The Sig P-320 is another example that. Forget about fixing the problem, allowing these unsafe weapons to be sold in the first place is just unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom