• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger MKIII help needed

Next stop is the gunsmith if I cannot figure this out. I have a Ruger MKIII Target SS with Volquartsen trigger kit (still has mag disconnect) and Herrett grips. The problem I am having is I have to pull the trigger twice to get the pistol to fire the first round in the magazine. All the other rounds fire fine and the slide doesn't hold open after the last round. I have tried a few obvious things but they have not fixed the problem. I cleaned and oiled the gun along with backing off on the trigger adjustment screw. The pistol has several thousand rounds on the Volquartsen bits if that helps. Anyone have any ideas?

Does it take two trigger pulls only on a full mag, or does it also take two pulls if you remove and RE-insert a half empty mag?

Same behavior with different magazines ? is the mag disconnect still functioning correctly...have you tried firing with mag removed ?

Does it take two trigger pulls only on a full mag, or does it also take two pulls if you remove and RE-insert a half empty mag?
It takes two trigger pulls no matter how many rounds are in the magazine. The pistol is used for bullseye shooting so it typically has only 5 rounds in the mag. It is also not a magazine specific issue since it happens across all 4 of my mags.

It takes two trigger pulls no matter how many rounds are in the magazine. The pistol is used for bullseye shooting so it typically has only 5 rounds in the mag. It is also not a magazine specific issue since it happens across all 4 of my mags.

Is it correct to say that the problem is related to / associated with *inserting* a magazine?

Is it correct to say that the problem is related to / associated with *inserting* a magazine?
The magazines are seated in the firearm just fine. This leads me to believe that the magazine disconnector is causing the issue. I am going to strip the firearm this evening again and see if I see any issues with the magazine disconnector. I think its about time I got rid of it anyway so I will be ordering a Tandem Kross magazine disconnect bushing tonight as well.

2 links below might help:

Thanks 22lr. Those links were very helpful. I am going to remove the magazine disconnector on my MkIII.

The magazines are seated in the firearm just fine. This leads me to believe that the magazine disconnector is causing the issue. I am going to strip the firearm this evening again and see if I see any issues with the magazine disconnector. I think its about time I got rid of it anyway so I will be ordering a Tandem Kross magazine disconnect bushing tonight as well.

I didn't say anything about *seated*, I said *inserting*. Like there's something about actually putting the magazine in that isn't working right. If so, that would support the "magazine disconnector" hypothesis.

No trouble inserting the mag. I just finished cleaning and inspecting the gun once again and it all looks to be in spec to me. The mag disconnecting bushing is 10 bucks from Tandem Kross so I think I will start throwing parts at the problem.

Update. Tandem Kross had the new mag disconnect bushing to me in two days and the install was a snap. The double trigger press issue is gone and having the mags drop free after firing is a added bonus.
I think I "tolerated" the stock Ruger bushing for about 2 weeks. Then in the trash it went , and I too added the TK bushing mod. Mags fly out as they should ! Ruger just strikes out as far as some of their engineering designs..... another is the flip out "LCI"

Back
Top Bottom