Ruger MK IV?

Looked T a few of them and have them narrowed down to the 22/45 Lite or the hunter. Will the 22/45 be close in accuracy to the hunter? Does the hunter smoke the 22/45 in accuracy?

They all need a trigger job in my experience. Why can't Ruger make a decent stock trigger?

accuracy and precision are based on the firearm, ammo, conditions, etc., not the human
a heavier gun is not more accurate
it's easier for a human to shoot so the groups look better
for a 22 definitely the weight helps

I have a Mark IV Hunter which is a decent target pistol. I did put a Volquartsen trigger in it as the factory trigger is wicked heavy for target shooting. I have to say that I have never compared it to the 22/45. Nice 22 to add to any collection in my opinion.

I use the terms mechanical accuracy and practical accuracy. Mechanical accuracy is the accuracy that a pistol can produce from solid fixture like a Ransom rest. It represents the best possible results that could be produced by shooting the pistol. Mechanical accuracy is not affected by trigger pull, grip feel, balance, or sights. It is a mechanical property of the firearm.

Practical accuracy describes how the pistol behaves for a shooter. It is subjective, but tends to include, trigger pull, sights, and feel in the hand.

Regarding, the Ruger MK IV pistols, I do not expect the Lite models, with their aluminum shrouded steel liners, to have the same mechanical accuracy as the steel barrelled models like the Hunter.

Every steel barrelled Ruger pistol that I have tested has been good enough for bullseye shooting. That means they can consistently hold a 1.5" bullseye at 25 yards, and even put many of those shots into the .5" X ring. I have heard mixed results about the Lite pistols, and I have not had the chance to test one extensively, but most people have reported that they are not good enough for serious bullseye shooting. However, even if they are not good enough for target shooting, the Lite pistols can still probably outshoot most shooters.

I can compare the MK III 22/45 and MK III Competition (Target?). The 22/45 has some aftermarket VQ parts that give it a weightless trigger and I still find the more stock MKIII to be easier to shoot accurately. Like others said: longer sight radius, heavier, etc. The 22/45 is plenty accurate for my needs and I find it to be more fun to shoot. I shoot at stuff though, not much for bullseyes.

Just to be clear, the 22/45 is a MK III not a MK IV Lite.

Those mk series of handguns are the chevy small blocks of rimfires.
There isn't anything on there thats not available through an aftermarket vendor.
The 4" barrel will do you just fine, from bullseye to speed shooting.
Tandemkross, stiplin, Volquartsen, you name it, theres parts for an application.

They all need a trigger job in my experience. Why can't Ruger make a decent stock trigger?

This and the crazy prices have held me back from getting one. I think those Lite's are cool looking. But I've got a MK2 with the quick-change bolt and trigger upgrade that is just fine. And a MK3 22/45 with the bolt (I think) and NOT a trigger (because it's a more complicated process with a 22/45 so I just held off). Truth be told - I don't shoot either one of them. But knowing that I'll need to do ANOTHER trigger job has me holding off. I was tempted when Shooting Supply had them for practically free last Summer.

Hunter is a great range gun, nice beginner for 'Bullseye' competition and so much fun to shoot.
Being tapped for dot or scope means you may bag a nice tree rat with it too...
I like Tandemkross for upgrades. They're in New Hampshire like a lot of our members. [smile]
maxresdefault.jpg

I just ordered a Mark IV tactical so I am watching this thread with interest. I'm planning on installing a VQ competition kit and a holosun reflex sight. I was on the fence about the Tandemkross trigger but now that I know they are a NH company I'll probably go for that too. Once my Dead Air Mask gets out of suppressor jail, I hope to have a really nice backyard plinker even if it's extravagantly expensive.

I have a target Mk IV and it's been flawless, fun, and accurate. I especially love it because you don't have to put aside a week and a half to put it back together after cleaning.

I had a Mark I and I don't understand what all the fuss about reassembly is about. Sure, if it were 1990 and I was sitting at a bench all alone trying to assemble it for the first time it might have taken a week and a half, but there are dozens of videos immediately accessible on YouTube that show how it is done. I think I had a little difficulty the first time and after that it was never a problem again.

If you do it monthly, it's NBD. Doing it yearly, it's a PITA to get the video up and do it again. Plus I've seen more videos of guys who have no clue than ones that are helpful. LOL

And who doesn't like a new gun??? ;)

I still have the scar on my hand from the first time I took apart my Mk2. Original owner NEVER cleaned it. Y2K or so. No YT. Just some instructions online. The barrel assembly was STUCK to the grip frame. I got the doo-hickey out fine but couldn't get it apart it was so gunked up. Finally pushing with my left and holding the grip frame with my right, it gave way, and my palm got sliced up on the wings of the grip.

So I guess I have some negative memories associated with it. LOL. I put the quick-takedown in the Mk2. TBH, it's fine just like that. It doesn't re-assemble as easy (you need something to push down a doo-hickey to get the bolt back in) but it's not hard. And I'm not turning it upside down and right side up and chanting Hare Krishna while pulling the trigger or anything like I used to. ;)

I have 2 Mark IV models, the Hunter and the Standard. The Hunter is a fabulously cool looking pistol and I fell in love with it on first sight. I bought the Standard a year or so later when I had the itch for more of a plinker. I was quite surprised to find I shot the Standard about as well as the Hunter. When compared to some other .22 semi auto target pistols, I think my Buckmark and S&W Model 41 out shoot them both, but I seem to have the most carefree fun shooting the Standard.

Last edited:
Get one of each ;) With upgrades I find them both very accurate!
Of course the Longer barrel one, which is heavier is slightly more accurate.
But they are both so much fun!

;)Ruger-MKIV-22.45-LITE-Customized.jpegIMG_1183.JPG

Get one of each ;) With upgrades I find them both very accurate!
Of course the Longer barrel one, which is heavier is slightly more accurate.
But they are both so much fun!

Ruger-MKIV-22.45-LITE-Customized.jpegIMG_1183.JPG

I had a Mark I and I don't understand what all the fuss about reassembly is about. Sure, if it were 1990 and I was sitting at a bench all alone trying to assemble it for the first time it might have taken a week and a half, but there are dozens of videos immediately accessible on YouTube that show how it is done. I think I had a little difficulty the first time and after that it was never a problem again.
I chatted with a clerk about the re assembly of the markiii when I was buying a used one I found for short money a couple.years ago. Older guy. He told me the same thing. Many moons ago before YouTube a markiii could be a nightmare to re assemble. He told me years ago he'd get a guy in the shop 3 or 4 times a year with a freshly cleaned markiii in pieces with the owner asking for help to get it back together. Now with YouTube anybody should be able to figure it out. I clean mine about 2 times a year.....always have YouTube on my phone when I put it back together but I get it first shot every time now.

I have the 22/45 Lite. Fun to shoot. Now that I have about 1000 rounds throughout it, I’m going to dump some $$ with Tandomkross. As mentioned, the MA version is not threaded,

Attachments

• DB228853-9D36-4957-9BEC-059628812563.jpeg
    DB228853-9D36-4957-9BEC-059628812563.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 17
I have the 4" Standard. It's really an iconic gun. Length between cleanings seems to be just long enough for me to forget exactly how to do it, but I might try winging it next time. I know I can find a video if I get stuck.

The new models certainly look nice, especially some of the pictures above! If I find myself with some extra change in my pocket I could definitely see myself with a new one. But I won't be trading the old one in either.

Back
Top Bottom