• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger MK IV Standard Model in MA ever?

I just picked up a Ruger Standard (Mk 1) and took it to the range for the first time last night. It was awesome and I am now totally hooked. My original idea was to get it in order to shoot for short money and practice my fundamentals but I wasn't expecting to enjoy myself as much as I did. The new MK IV standard looks awesome and I would love to add one to my collection eventually, however to my dismay (but not surprise) it isn't on the ridiculous approved firearms roster. The MK IV target and hunter are on it but not the standard.

Does anybody know if Ruger as any intention of trying to get it added?

I just picked up a Ruger Standard (Mk 1) and took it to the range for the first time last night. It was awesome and I am now totally hooked. My original idea was to get it in order to shoot for short money and practice my fundamentals but I wasn't expecting to enjoy myself as much as I did. The new MK IV standard looks awesome and I would love to add one to my collection eventually, however to my dismay (but not surprise) it isn't on the ridiculous approved firearms roster. The MK IV target and hunter are on it but not the standard.

Have you spoken to any local dealers? I’m sure my local dealer would transfer it since it’s a MKIV and 2 of the SKU’s are on the “list”.

I have not shot it in a while because I disassembled it for cleaning and for the life of me I can’t reassemble this bitch.
you and a half million others, lol. any decent shop could get it together for you, it's too good of a gun to lay in pieces. there are instructions on youtube, pretty detailed. have a look.

I also have a Mark I I inherited from my father. I have not shot it in a while because I disassembled it for cleaning and for the life of me I can’t reassemble this bitch.

View attachment 253850

It looks like you are almost there. Just watch some youtube videos and you'll figure it out. The hammer has to be down or up at at each step of putting that mainspring back together. It basically involves pulling the trigger and orienting the gun up or down a few times and it'll all go back together nicely.

Old thread I know but the MK 1 and/or the Standard went out of production in 1988 when the MK II took up/. ie. They are all "pre-ban" so most shops should have no issue bringing them in for you off GB or such. Ruger did keep a model with the short tapered barrel style of the Standard throughout Mk II/III/IV production. Those may/may not be available depending on model and production year. I personally own several (including the Standard, MK I, MKII, MKIII and MK IV). hth someone going forward.
p.s. Assembly of the pre MK IV series is all about understanding where the hammer and hammer strut need to be during different phases of the process. Not hard once you understand. there are some good You tube video's to demonstrate.
Meanwhile, I tell my customers to leave it assembled and douse it with gun scrubber every 1000 rounds or so.That's all they really need to keep them running well for the most part.

Bet that would work.
I used to clean my reloading brass that way. Here is a hard earned lesson. Don't do it while your wife is home! :)

I own a MK IV Hunter. The gun is very accurate, fun to shoot and easy to clean! I have no doubt that I could take rabbits and squirrels with it at 100 feet. Oh, I almost forgot cheap to shoot as well.

It's handier for carrying around in the woods for plinking, etc and it's cheaper.

It's handier for carrying around in the woods for plinking, etc and it's cheaper.

I wish I lived in a place where carrying around in the woods for plinking was even an option. The last time I was able to do that was as a kid with a BB gun. I'm sure if a kid tried that now in Eastern Mass, he'd get crucified.

I'd love a MK4. But I don't shoot my MK3 22/45 or MK2 bull'bbl nearly enough to worry THAT much about cleaning them. So infrequent I've got to go on Youtube to remember when to turn it upside down and when to turn it rightside up.

I did buy the aftermarket better-trigger kit and I THINK the easier takedown kit. Now I've forgotten which kits I put in. ROFL!!!

I'd love a MK4. But I don't shoot my MK3 22/45 or MK2 bull'bbl nearly enough to worry THAT much about cleaning them. So infrequent I've got to go on Youtube to remember when to turn it upside down and when to turn it rightside up.

(As I stated elsewhere), I totally agree with the need to use gravity
to keep tidbits where they're supposed to be,
but I don't believe in using inertia (or gravity) to move tidbits -
I use thin probes to move tidbits from where they are to where they should be.

I did buy the aftermarket better-trigger kit and I THINK the easier takedown kit. Now I've forgotten which kits I put in. ROFL!!!

Here's how you'll know which you installed:
If you're at the range and need to field strip the gun,
but forgot your allen wrenches at home,
and can't unscrew the gun -
then you have the "quick takedown" installed.
Otherwise, not.

(I've bought a dual-adjustable trigger, but haven't installed it yet. (Mk III 22/45).
But I'd never buy a quick takedown kit:

I've timed myself,
and when my fingernails are long enough,
I can get the receiver off the frame with my bear hands
in less than the "10 seconds" that even the Mk IV literature
claims it takes to use the new takedown button.

I'm inspired by those Russian high-schoolers that can
field-strip an AK blindfolded in 4.7 seconds or whatever).

I wish I lived in a place where carrying around in the woods for plinking was even an option. The last time I was able to do that was as a kid with a BB gun. I'm sure if a kid tried that now in Eastern Mass, he'd get crucified.

I live in metro Boston, and I go out on rt 93 in the wee hours of the night and do some plinking. I can now hit 55 speed limit signs with my Ruger mk iv .22 at 85 mph!

Seriously, I go out to central MA, sometimes along the power lines miles from anybody, and haven't had a problem. Once I bumped into a power company official, out in the middle of nowhere, but he didn't have a problem with me shooting. I was on the edge of the cut facing a hill, as I always endeavor to make safety and common sense job #1!!

... with my Ruger mk iv .22 ... I go out to central MA, sometimes along the power lines miles from anybody, and haven't had a problem. Once I bumped into a power company official, out in the middle of nowhere, but he didn't have a problem with me shooting. I was on the edge of the cut facing a hill, as I always endeavor to make safety and common sense job #1!!
Ah, he didn't hassle you solely because you got the drop on him.

Linemen are normally scared stiff of guys with guns,
because of how many goobers shoot at insulators.

(And how many guys get electrocuted when the wire whangs down onto them).

For anyone looking for a Ruger MK IV SS Hunter in Mass, I bought a new one last week from Collectors Gallery in Stoneham Mass and he has one more in Inventory. Call quick and he will hold it for a day til you arrive.

Back
Top Bottom