• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mk II Stubby

So, I've been hot to build up a very specific MkII pistol, and the pieces finally came together.

First, I spotted this gem on Armslist for the ridiculous price of just $175:

11190520_01_ruger_mark_ii_640.jpg

$175 FTF, came with two mags, did the deed same day in the Home Depot parking lot in under 5 minutes. How do I not take that deal? I don't like skinny barrels, or those big, rubber "finger grips." Well, neither was going to be a problem. After searching around for a bit, I landed on a pair of Pachmayr Renegade Laminate wood grips. Nice and slender. Now for that barrel. I sent it Dave Wilson for a little nip here and a little tuck there, and today I got this back:

IMG_E1499.JPG

Oh, that looks nice. With a full-size thread protector, it almost looks factory.

IMG_E1498.JPG

Well, OK. Maybe not. I haven't decided on the front sight yet. I'm thinking either changing the rear sight to an adjustable, and having the front drilled/tapped for the matching front, or just having a dovetail cut and adding a lower front sight to match the fixed rear. I'm also leaning heavily to removing the rear sight altogether and adding a Burris Fastfire 3. Decisions...

But, I know some are already asking "WTF did you do that?" Well, 'cuz I always wanted this:

IMG_1503.JPG

That's my Form 1 can on the front. Looks pretty cool. Here's my AAC Element II:

IMG_1512.JPG

The Sig can looks kind of funky here:

IMG_1514.JPG

But the Oculus in the short mode looks pretty cool:

IMG_1511.JPG

Haven't been able to shoot it unsuppressed yet. Not sure the neighbors would appreciate that, but suppressed, it runs like a champ with AE Suppressor and Federal Bulk Pak.

Fun project, and I'll be interested in seeing how it runs without the can. It's certainly a hoot with the can.

No. Everything dry so far. I do have wire-pulling gel I've run from time to time, but it turns into a chocolate mess. I may have to try it again, just to see.
I remember many moons ago I read an article in the then, now long defunct, "Machine Gun News" where a guy, on a dare, ran his can on a 9mm pistol can wet by pissing in it. He had to leave the range and go take a shower. Jack.

One of the things the "cool kids" are doing now to minimize FRP is blow canned air into the can. It displaces the oxygen with a non-combustible gas.

I've run water and (clear) wire pulling gel. I heard sonogram lube is also a big choice nowdays.

So, I've been hot to build up a very specific MkII pistol, and the pieces finally came together.

View attachment 352901

$175 FTF, came with two mags, did the deed same day in the Home Depot parking lot in under 5 minutes. How do I not take that deal? I don't like skinny barrels, or those big, rubber "finger grips." Well, neither was going to be a problem. After searching around for a bit, I landed on a pair of Pachmayr Renegade Laminate wood grips. Nice and slender. Now for that barrel. I sent it Dave Wilson for a little nip here and a little tuck there, and today I got this back:

View attachment 352902

Oh, that looks nice. With a full-size thread protector, it almost looks factory.

View attachment 352903

Well, OK. Maybe not. I haven't decided on the front sight yet. I'm thinking either changing the rear sight to an adjustable, and having the front drilled/tapped for the matching front, or just having a dovetail cut and adding a lower front sight to match the fixed rear. I'm also leaning heavily to removing the rear sight altogether and adding a Burris Fastfire 3. Decisions...

But, I know some are already asking "WTF did you do that?" Well, 'cuz I always wanted this:

View attachment 352897

View attachment 352898

View attachment 352899

View attachment 352900

Haven't been able to shoot it unsuppressed yet. Not sure the neighbors would appreciate that, but suppressed, it runs like a champ with AE Suppressor and Federal Bulk Pak.

Fun project, and I'll be interested in seeing how it runs without the can. It's certainly a hoot with the can.
Ahh.....how's the group look at 50 feet?

Beats me. There isn't even a front sight on it yet. Little hard to shoot for group at 50 without something to sight with.

One step at a time...
Let's just say im very curious what the accuraccy will be.

I think it will bring forth all the accuracy a 2" barreled .22LR has to offer...I'm probably not going to use it for Bullseye league.

But once I get a sighting system on it, I'll report back. I'll be interested to see how well the bullets are stabilized. I won't be shooting any of the heavy 60gr stuff, that's for sure.

Neg rep for teasing us with your cans! Wait, that came out wrong...

Awesome job. I think I have just been convinced to retire in the land of the free, assuming I need to stay in the NE region.

View attachment 352901

View attachment 352902

View attachment 352903

View attachment 352897

View attachment 352898

View attachment 352899

View attachment 352900

tenor.gif

The is the best use of $175 I have seen in a while. What did the chop and thread job cost? I have a threaded 22/45, but that shorty got me feeling some kind of way.

Made an Amphibian basically
View attachment 353155

I would love to find one of those holsters.

tenor.gif

The is the best use of $175 I have seen in a while. What did the chop and thread job cost? I have a threaded 22/45, but that shorty got me feeling some kind of way.

I paid $90, but I just checked his website, and it's $95 now, but he also offers to move the front sight for $15, which I didn't see on this website before. I''m dropping it off tomorrow locally to drill and tap for the front sight at $25. I'll post pics when I get the front sight mounted. Should complete the look.

Got my receiver back, drilled and tapped for the front sight.

6mc2FNI.jpg

Yeah, yeah. It's too tall for the rear sight. One thing at a time.

If I can get some range time tomorrow, I'll see if I can shoot for groups.

One of the things the "cool kids" are doing now to minimize FRP is blow canned air into the can. It displaces the oxygen with a non-combustible gas.
See US patent 10,145,636 , brought to you by a Hopkinton Sportsmens board member and genius behind Mark VII reloading.

Ruger and AWC made an integrated suppressor mark 1 for the seals and such called the Amphibian.
Ah so. Mine is the Ruger MK2 KMK 10 int. suppressed by Ceiner. St St. Brought it into Mass in 1990. One of the first, if not the first suppressor in Mass. The laws changed in 1989 to allow 07s to have them here. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom