• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger MK I, II, III or 22/45

Looking for my first .22lr pistol. I have a great pistol range range at my club and want to shoot something a little cheaper than centerfire. I also would be using it for local club contests. I was wondering what is the best Ruger .22lr? I also would love to have a pistol with easy and readily available add ons/ accessories.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Any variation of the RUGER MK IV

Just picked up a MK IV 22/45 Lite. Very disappointed to find my MK III 22/45 magazine will not fit.

How do they shoot? And I gotta say I'm a little jealous, those are a pain to find.

It has arrived:

[video=youtube_share;vK-Vd8YCo98]http://youtu.be/vK-Vd8YCo98[/video]

That looks sweet. I wanna ask where you guys found one in MA. But I know better.

Last edited:
How do they shoot? And I gotta say I'm a little jealous, those are a pain to find.

That looks sweet. I wanna ask where you guys found one in MA. But I know better.
Just put 300 rounds through it of Norma Tac ammo. A couple FTE early on. But last 200 rounds were flawless. Gun is very light compared to my MKIII 22/45.

forgive me if i posted this earlier, but i found the safety location on the mark iv to be odd. my thumb pushes against the safety. if they had just put the safety a smidge lower it would have been more like a 1911. they got so many things right on the mark iv but it's this one issue that keeps me hanging on to my Mk 3 lite.

Mark IV if you plan on cleaning it at some point without tools and help from a gunsmith.....

Never understood this. Not one bit. I bought a mark III couple months ago......taken it down twice to clean. Is it easy.....no....many steps. But YouTube lead the way! It really was not that hard.

- - - Updated - - -

For every man who complains about how hard it is to take apart a Ruger Mark...

This! It aint that hard

Op.....with the mark 4 out now take advantage of it and pick up a used mark III. I got mine for $225 and it was barely used at all. Put well over 2000 rounds through it already.......had one stove pipe. It's accurate for plate shoots and general range fun. And reliable

Last edited by a moderator:
Never understood this. Not one bit. I bought a mark III couple months ago......taken it down twice to clean. Is it easy.....no....many steps. But YouTube lead the way! It really was not that hard.

This! It aint that hard

Op.....with the mark 4 out now take advantage of it and pick up a used mark III. I got mine for $225 and it was barely used at all. Put well over 2000 rounds through it already.......had one stove pipe. It's accurate for plate shoots and general range fun. And reliable

You're right it's not that hard. The problem is we don't do it enough. We have to almost relearn it every time we do a teardown.

Just picked up a MK IV 22/45 Lite. Very disappointed to find my MK III 22/45 magazine will not fit.

That's really surprising, and different from the 'net says. But maybe the 'net is only talking about the regular Mk-III and Mk-IV and not the 22/45 version.

How do the older and new 22/45 mags differ?

That's really surprising, and different from the 'net says. But maybe the 'net is only talking about the regular Mk-III and Mk-IV and not the 22/45 version.

How do the older and new 22/45 mags differ?
Baseplates are a little longer on the older ones. Since the MK IV's fit into the MK IIIs I could possibly Dremel the older ones down to fit the MK IVs. Unless Ruger starts to offer the Baseplates.

Baseplates are a little longer on the older ones. Since the MK IV's fit into the MK IIIs I could possibly Dremel the older ones down to fit the MK IVs. Unless Ruger starts to offer the Baseplates.

I think I saw on .22 plinkster's channel that they will be selling replacement base-plates. Not official news but if anyone has a Ruger rep on speed-dial it's that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK-Vd8YCo98

Around the 5:20 mark

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom