Ruger Mini-14 going in for service

DJBrad

NES Member
Called Ruger customer service today. What a great experience! They took down my info and within a minute mailed me a prepaid RMA to drop off at a FedEx shipping center.

I’ve been less than thrilled with preban USA mags which caused multiple failure to feed issues. Got myself some Ruger ones and now it was narrowed down to 1:40 failure to eject. 1 out of 100 rounds jammed up in the breech. 1 out of 100 had a huge ding in the side of the cartridge neck. The ejection pattern is quite erratic with brass flinging at 1:00, 3:00, and 5-6:00. Crazy. My guess is gas issues.

Rep said it would be about 5-10 business days. We’ll see how this turns out. So far we’re off to a good start.

These rifles are finicky for sure but I love the ranch rifle feel and shooting steel.

Anything but genuine Ruger mags are crap. But yeah, sounds like a gassing issue. How do you own a Mini-14 and have not yet replaced the gas block with an adjustable?

Anything but genuine Ruger mags are crap. But yeah, sounds like a gassing issue. How do you own a Mini-14 and have not yet replaced the gas block with an adjustable?
It is strange why I haven’t addressed this earlier. I’ve had this 580 series for about a year now. Lots has happened in life since then so these kinds of things got put on the back burner, actually the grill in the backyard.

Good Afternoon,

I am emailing you in regards to the Mini 14 serial number 584-xxxxx that was sent in for services. The technician has evaluated the firearm and would like to offer to replace the Mini with the same model at no charge. Please note if you accept this offer the original firearm will be scrapped here at the factory and the replacement will have to be shipped to a dealer of your choice. Please contact myself at your earliest opportunity with the acceptance or decline of this offer.

Thank you

Good Afternoon,

I am emailing you in regards to the Mini 14 serial number 584-xxxxx that was sent in for services. The technician has evaluated the firearm and would like to offer to replace the Mini with the same model at no charge. Please note if you accept this offer the original firearm will be scrapped here at the factory and the replacement will have to be shipped to a dealer of your choice. Please contact myself at your earliest opportunity with the acceptance or decline of this offer.

Thank you
I’m really curious to find out what the issue was that made it functionally obsolete. Headspace? Gas system not able to be tuned by factory? Idk.....

Sounds like the receiver was milled out of spec. Barrel or other parts couldn't fit together properly for normal function because of it.

Actually this was a pretty good situation since not only is this Mini new, it also came with 2x 5 round mags and scope rings. My used one was missing everything but 1x5 round mag.

I had a great experience the only time I sent a gun in to Ruger. I'd bought a 25yo Mark II from a NES member and ended up finding a cracked weld in the frame after I got it home. Called Ruger, they immediately emailed me a label, and about a week later I got it back with a whole new lower frame and many of the fire control parts. Good company.

I’m really curious to find out what the issue was that made it functionally obsolete. Headspace? Gas system not able to be tuned by factory? Idk.....
i would be shocked if they disclosed the problem?
i wonder what the monetary threshold is for repair or replace ? How much does it cost ruger to build a 14 vs repair it.

i would be shocked if they disclosed the problem?
i wonder what the monetary threshold is for repair or replace ? How much does it cost ruger to build a 14 vs repair it.
Inquiring minds beg to know!

Actually this was a pretty good situation since not only is this Mini new, it also came with 2x 5 round mags and scope rings. My used one was missing everything but 1x5 round mag.

Same thing happened to me, they "built" one specifically for my replacement but it came with my original mag I sent in plus 2x20 round mags, rings, all paperwork/packaging/box.

Long hiatus with the new Mini just sitting in thr safe. Before, during, and after hunting season as well as the holidays saw dry spell at the range. I got out there today to put a hundred or so out of my 9mm and 45 acp carry pistols and brought the Mini.

Results were great. From the factory I didnt touch the sights and it was just a tad high but I was hitting consisently at 60 yards on an 8” plate. For mags they ran flawlessly without an issue:
7x Ruger 20 rd
2 x USA 30 rd
1 x Promag 10 rd
1 x Ruger 5 rd

Back
Top Bottom