Ruger Mark IV

I have a MK IV blued target model. Its a great gun to shoot. The only advice I have is to change your firing pin. I have reports of it breaking around 1K rounds, if it has two holes in the pin. I changed mine last month. A MK III pin will work just fine. Good luck, and have fun with your new gun!

I have the same model.

Suggest that you put a drop of Blue Loctite on the front sight screw.....they tend to work loose.

Otherwise, the gun is super accurate and eats any .22 ammo.

Looking for some opinions (I know that is dangerous on NES). Anyways, my father brought me to FS today and informed me that as a present he will be buying me a Ruger Mark IV. He thinks that everyone should have a .22 target gun and I can't say I disagree with him. He even told me that he is going to send it away and have it engraved with a special message. I am very excited as I know it will be a staple for a long time.

That being said, He told me today that I get to choose. Do I want the target or the hunting model. He also told me that after some rounds are put through it, he will gladly add the Volquartsen Trigger Enhancement kit. I fondled both models as well as the stock and installed trigger today. the trigger enhancement is hard to argue with. I know there is a difference in price, I was told to not consider that as a deciding factor.

Differences (from my understanding) Hunting has, Longer Barrel, groves,upgraded sights, Steel vs Aluminum frame.

So my questions are as follows :

1) If you own one, which model and what do you like and don't like about it?
2) Do you have the trigger Job? Likes, Dislikes?
3) Am i missing any other differences?
4) Any other info I should know?

This will 100% be a range toy to enjoy with my father and beyond. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON ANY OTHER GUNS. I appreciate the sediment, but the decision has already been made that it will be this gun. I will most likely head somewhere to try both, but want opinions first.

Thanks in advance!

I own 1 Mk I, 2, MK II's and 4 MK IV's. ( Used to have "a few more" but sold them off.)
I currently own a Blued Target, a Stainless Target, a Hunter and a 22/45 Lite.

Personalty, for a "do all" pistol, I would go with the MK IV in Blue or a 22/45 model with 5.5" barrel. These are going to be more versatile than the Hunter or Competition. More reliable and easier to shoot accurately than the Lite model. (The 5.5" bull barrel is the barrel that you'll see most in Bullseye /Gallery matches as well.) These two models are within an ounce of each other and are about 7 oz lighter than the stainless models. ( Read : makes one handed and or extended shooting by the elderly, women and kids allot more friendly.) The weight difference goes all the way to 10 oz when you get into the Hunter/Competition models.
The triggers on the MK IV's are better than the MK III.s. They generally come in at about 4.5# on the Blued models and slight higher on the 22/45's. Both are pretty crisp.
I have done trigger jobs on all but one of mine ( and many for friends.). The major drawback to the MK IV is that it takes $80-$160 worth of parts to get down in the 2-3# range. ( It took a $25 sear and $10 bushing on the MK II/III versions.)

So all that said, it's also worth looking at the SW Victory. I own two and feel that for an informal 'target gun", they are a great value. Both mine ran like clocks right out of the box. Triggers are certainly better out of the box than the Ruger and take down is one screw.
hth

Had a few MKII Target models in my life. Never liked the looks of them but they all shot amazing. I think the MKIV is gorgeous! Best looking MK to date. I would go stainless target model.

Back
Top Bottom