Ruger Mark IV

Looking for some opinions (I know that is dangerous on NES). Anyways, my father brought me to FS today and informed me that as a present he will be buying me a Ruger Mark IV. He thinks that everyone should have a .22 target gun and I can't say I disagree with him. He even told me that he is going to send it away and have it engraved with a special message. I am very excited as I know it will be a staple for a long time.

That being said, He told me today that I get to choose. Do I want the target or the hunting model. He also told me that after some rounds are put through it, he will gladly add the Volquartsen Trigger Enhancement kit. I fondled both models as well as the stock and installed trigger today. the trigger enhancement is hard to argue with. I know there is a difference in price, I was told to not consider that as a deciding factor.

Differences (from my understanding) Hunting has, Longer Barrel, groves,upgraded sights, Steel vs Aluminum frame.

So my questions are as follows :

1) If you own one, which model and what do you like and don't like about it?
2) Do you have the trigger Job? Likes, Dislikes?
3) Am i missing any other differences?
4) Any other info I should know?

This will 100% be a range toy to enjoy with my father and beyond. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON ANY OTHER GUNS. I appreciate the sediment, but the decision has already been made that it will be this gun. I will most likely head somewhere to try both, but want opinions first.

Thanks in advance!

I have the target with the carved grips and I love it. The hunter I think, is a little front heavy, just my opinion. The trigger is the only thing I'd consider improving. Haven't yet as I'm not doing any formal target shooting, just range time. maybe 1000 rounds through it, no issues.

Looking for some opinions (I know that is dangerous on NES). Anyways, my father brought me to FS today and informed me that as a present he will be buying me a Ruger Mark IV. He thinks that everyone should have a .22 target gun and I can't say I disagree with him. He even told me that he is going to send it away and have it engraved with a special message. I am very excited as I know it will be a staple for a long time.

That being said, He told me today that I get to choose. Do I want the target or the hunting model. He also told me that after some rounds are put through it, he will gladly add the Volquartsen Trigger Enhancement kit. I fondled both models as well as the stock and installed trigger today. the trigger enhancement is hard to argue with. I know there is a difference in price, I was told to not consider that as a deciding factor.

Differences (from my understanding) Hunting has, Longer Barrel, groves,upgraded sights, Steel vs Aluminum frame.

So my questions are as follows :

1) If you own one, which model and what do you like and don't like about it?
2) Do you have the trigger Job? Likes, Dislikes?
3) Am i missing any other differences?
4) Any other info I should know?

This will 100% be a range toy to enjoy with my father and beyond. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON ANY OTHER GUNS. I appreciate the sediment, but the decision has already been made that it will be this gun. I will most likely head somewhere to try both, but want opinions first.

Thanks in advance!

I own a Mark 4 22/45 Lite with the Volquartsen kit with about 6000+ rounds through it, you will not regret a Mark 4, they are really fun, accurate, cheap to shoot, and easy to clean.

Like you said there really isn't an argument against the trigger upgrade, unless you want a different style of trigger like the Tandemkross one.

Since you are looking at the Target v Hunter, I'd say go based off of the grip angle and weight you like.
The Hunter has the Luger style grips while the 22/45 Target feels like a 1911. I have shot the Hunter model and I really did enjoy it, its nice and hefty so there is just about 0 recoil. Plus they all come drilled and tapped if you want to throw an optic on it.

You might want to consider 3 accessories off the bat 1) a lot of mags which isn't bad at $25 a pop 2) A McFadden loader [https://www.tandemkross.com/McFadden-Ultimate-Cliploader--Ruger-MK-Series_p_31.html] 3) A bore-snake, there's something about my Mark 4 that really really DOES NOT like the ramrod cleaners.

Lastly if you want you can go crazy and buy all the other Volquartsen aftermarket part and turn either model into something unique with grips, bolts, etc.

Have fun with your new range toy! [smile]

I have the mark 3 22/45 with the VQ kit installed and I absolutely love the gun. I am sure the hunter is nice also, but a good deal heavier? Not sure. Plus I would prefer the target sights vs the sights on the hunter.

I am sure you will be happy either way!!

I own a Mark 4 22/45 Lite with the Volquartsen kit with about 6000+ rounds through it, you will not regret a Mark 4, they are really fun, accurate, cheap to shoot, and easy to clean.

Like you said there really isn't an argument against the trigger upgrade, unless you want a different style of trigger like the Tandemkross one.

Since you are looking at the Target v Hunter, I'd say go based off of the grip angle and weight you like.
The Hunter has the Luger style grips while the 22/45 Target feels like a 1911. I have shot the Hunter model and I really did enjoy it, its nice and hefty so there is just about 0 recoil. Plus they all come drilled and tapped if you want to throw an optic on it.

You might want to consider 3 accessories off the bat 1) a lot of mags which isn't bad at $25 a pop 2) A McFadden loader [https://www.tandemkross.com/McFadden-Ultimate-Cliploader--Ruger-MK-Series_p_31.html] 3) A bore-snake, there's something about my Mark 4 that really really DOES NOT like the ramrod cleaners.

Lastly if you want you can go crazy and buy all the other Volquartsen aftermarket part and turn either model into something unique with grips, bolts, etc.

Have fun with your new range toy! [smile]

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the ideas on the accessories. I had not seen the loader. I am a big fan of the boresnake, I already use one on my G17.

Mark 3 Hunter with the Volquartsen trigger kit here. I like it a whole lot. it really is awesome and robust enough to take a day of beating pretty hard, the fluted barrel seems to cool quicker with the additional surface area. The front is heavy, but there is no recoil on the thing and it keeps consistent groups. Still trying out different ammo to see what it has a taste for.

One thing I do not like about it and will possibly change is the sights. the 'V' notch in the back with the larger neon round-dot-front sight makes me feel that the target needs to be covered/obscured by the dot.... I don't know since others that try it say that it is fine....

8 minutes of your life you will never get back;
https://youtu.be/pQn2ZAB46nQ

more funner;
https://youtu.be/yl7oiHQs-6U

uj

I have the MKIV Hunter in which I installed the VQ enhanced trigger. I also swapped out the rear V-notch sight blade for a square notch. I really didn’t like the V notch which comes standard on the Hunter. The longer barrel of the hunter gives you a longer sight radius than the target models. That’s a plus if you intend to use the iron sights. I love the gun and I don’t think it’s too heavy. I previously owned a MK III target in stainless. Great gun as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I'd probably get the Hunter model with VQ trigger then pop a nice, low profile red dot, like a Bushnell TRS25 on there. It's not something that's ever going to be carried, so extra weight and length would not necessarily be a negative.

I have a Hunter, with the slim laminate grips, a Volquartsen action kit and stainless trigger, extended mag release, and square notch target rear sights (the stock v-notch sucks and is super crappy quality).
This is one of my favorite guns to plink with. It's like laser-space gun!
If you get a clip loader you can empty bricks of 22 in no time!

Definitely the Hunter.

This is going to be a special gift from Father to Son, an engraved family heirloom that you'll cherish for the rest of your life, so since you like them equally, get the one that makes for a better engraved family heirloom, which is the Hunter. You can get a target model at any point down the road later if you want.

The minute you get it back and read the engraved inscription on the stainless steel of the Hunter, you'll know I'm right.

One has to hope the special message is "You'll shoot your eye out" on the back of the bolt. ;)

Congrats.

I have a MK IV blued target model. Its a great gun to shoot. The only advice I have is to change your firing pin. I have reports of it breaking around 1K rounds, if it has two holes in the pin. I changed mine last month. A MK III pin will work just fine. Good luck, and have fun with your new gun!

MK III Target and MK III 22/45 here. For some reason I put better parts in the 22/45 but not the Target, and it is almost boringly accurate. I know I took the mag safety out, installed the MK II bushings on the MK III and the 22/45 has a VQ target trigger and maybe some other parts. Since the MK IV is easier to take down, I don't know if people are removing the mag safety (or if it even has one).

So I'm sure that mess is helpful [wink]. Get yourself a buttload of ammo and get to work. These things are wicked popular for a reason.

I actually own both the Hunter and Target Mark IVs. Both are great but I tend to shoot the Hunter model more than the Target. I agree that the sights on the Hunter are bad. I just installed the Tandemcross pic rail and put a Halosun Red dot on the Hunter. It shoots lights out accurate. I also installed the VQ extended bolt release and the Tandemcross Halo. Both are great upgrades. I will be upgrading the trigger on both models to the VQ trigger.

I have a MK IV blued target model. Its a great gun to shoot. The only advice I have is to change your firing pin. I have reports of it breaking around 1K rounds, if it has two holes in the pin. I changed mine last month. A MK III pin will work just fine. Good luck, and have fun with your new gun!

To add to this, since you were looking at the kit from 4S, it has a titanium VQ firing pin.

I have "a few" MK I,II,II, 22/45 and IV pistols. Of the Mark 4 line, I have the 5.5" Target model in blue, another Target in stainless and then the Stainless 6.825" Hunter model.
My thoughts on the MK Iv's as compared with the earlier models.
-Triggers are worse out of the box than any of their predecessors. Not horrible/unusable but not target worthy.
- Triggers are harder to correct than any of their predecessors. In a MK II?II, I can get a 2# crisp trigger with nothing but a $25 sear. With both my MK IV's, it took the full $100 accurizing kit, (sear,hammer,bushing,trigger,disconnector....) to get 3.5#.
- Weight: The MK IV Blued target is the lightest of the metal framed guns and only an ounce heavier than the 22/45. (If I could only have one, this one would be it.) The stainless Target is a full 7 oz heavier than the blued. The Hunter, then the Competition models both add a few oz from there.
MK IV's have greatly improved features like extended /improved controls, mag ejector, lack of LCI, . The take down feature is handy too. Downside to a MK IV is that they no longer come with a optic mount and that grips choices are still very limited.

Also fwiw, my least favorite is the hunter. I will likely be letting that one go.

Have this Target and now you guys are making me want 2-3 others! Been great for range use, bought it on here used 10 years ago. Have no complaints.

i-H3S7wjV-L.jpg

Man, I completely didn't read your whole first post and made up a question and answered that in my last post.

I can't speak for the Hunter model but I really like the look of the Target's slab sides. I don't know about barrel lengths but they're both plenty long. My target has the molded wooden grips that look really nice and are super comfortable. The mag release is a bit tough to get to because of the shape of the grip on the left side, but whatever. There's about as close to zero recoil because it's heavy for a .22 and it's just super nice and smooth to shoot. I think I have some Volquartsen parts in it, but it might be only in my 22/45. VQ parts are great, I'd use them in another one if I got one. Lastly, the target sights are good. I don't have fiberoptic sights on anything so I can't speak to that, but the plain black target sights do a nice job. No complaints.

Summary: I like the target a little better but I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with either one. They're both excellent options so don't stress too hard over it. Props to your dad for the generous gift; it's something you'll shoot forever.

Thank you everyone for the posts. I have posted a few times on here and responses have gotten off topic and out of control. Not the case here, good solid information from real life owners and that's what I want. General responses tell me a few things 1) both are great firearms and I will be happy with either 2) sights are to be considered 3) definitely do the trigger job (part of the present if I want) 4) my father is a great person with a generous heart (it's true). I welcome continued opinions as I have not made a decision yet and it is not one I take lightly so keep them coming (maybe a few people will make a new purchase as well)

All this has brought me to an additional idea.... anyone know of a glass front, lockable, display case? I am thinking I may like the idea of putting this up in mantown on the wall on display, and then be able to take out when I go to the range. It must be lockable because I have a 4 mo th old that is going to get older and more curious and That is a requirement.

All this being said I promise when I make a decision I will let everyone know and once I receive it I will post with pictures as well.

Thanks again and look look forward to additional info that comes.

Mark III Target Stainless steel . has the VQ accurizing kit, Vortex Venom, and Williams fire sights (which rock)
I can shoot this thing all day, it's so accurate it's almost comical. I've heard the Hunter is not as accurate as the Target but that may be internet BS. Handle both of them and see which feels better in your hand. Enjoy
venom%20on%20mark%20III_zpsk7v6hrot.jpg

I have a MK III Hunter and a Target, both have the Volquartson kits. I like the Hunter just a bit more, little easier to stay on the target. I shoot them both a lot, you really can't make a bad decision here.

Got some range time yesterday.... man this thing is dead on right out of the box. Will still consider the VS trigger but I was highly impressed.

Have this Target and now you guys are making me want 2-3 others! Been great for range use, bought it on here used 10 years ago. Have no complaints.

i-H3S7wjV-L.jpg

You mean like this?

IMG_1183.jpg
Equipped with:
*Dawson Precision Fiber Optic Front Sight,
*Tandemkross Victory Trigger, Shadow Rail, Blast Shield and Halo Charging Ring
*Volquartsen Sear, Spring, Extended Bolt Release, Trigger Bar, Firing Pin and Extractor,
* Hogue Grips
* Holosun 2MOA "Green" Dot Sight

I have the MKIV tactical and it's easily the best 22 handgun I own. Super reliable, and easy to clean (compared to my MKI).

Its also a great suppressor host.

Back
Top Bottom