• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark IV’s, do I want one? Which one?

I’m in the market for a new .22 semi auto. I have not fired anything newer than 40 years old since I started shooting Dad’s High Standard whilst standing on a chair so I could shoot a gallery match with him.

What has been your experience with the new Mark IV’s, and which model?

I’m also interested in a good reflex sight for it. I have not fired a pistol with anything but iron sights on it my entire life. I could use a recommendation that won’t break the bank.

I owned a number of MKIII pistols over the years, upgrading each one over time with better triggers, etc. Eventually broke down and just bought a Volquartsen Scorpion.

It's based on the Ruger MKIII design. I was already familiar with the takedown process of the MKIII. Volquartsen also has pistols based on the MKIV; the Black Mamba and Mamba-TF.

I would definitely buy a VQ again. Take a look at their stuff. Volquartsen Firearms Official Site

I owned a number of MKIII pistols over the years, upgrading each one over time with better triggers, etc. Eventually broke down and just bought a Volquartsen Scorpion.

It's based on the Ruger MKIII design. I was already familiar with the takedown process of the MKIII. Volquartsen also has pistols based on the MKIV; the Black Mamba and Mamba-TF.

I would definitely buy a VQ again. Take a look at their stuff. Volquartsen Firearms Official Site
I love my mark iii.

Best part is I bought it when the mark iv came out.......used ones were aplenty in gun shops then as folks sold off the older models. I got a 22/45 version with the original box fiber optic and target sights and the rail to mount an optic for $225. It was a bargain and the gun runs great. Put about 200 rounds through it yesterday afternoon plinking at steel spinners and not a single malfunction with federal bulk ammo. Love that little pistol.

Mark 3 and Mark 4 are night and day different. Both are fun to shoot but cleaning the mark 4 is like eating ice cream while cleaning the mark 3 is like wrestling an angry honey badger.

You will absolutely love your new mark 4. One tip. The Hunter model with the long fluted barrel is super bad ass looking... but get the regular model. It’s much lighter and the Hunter becomes heavy after a few mags whereas the other (lighter) models do not. YMMV.

ETA: yes, I own the hunter model and I'm considering trading for a different model Mark 4.

Last edited:
Whatever you do I'd budget in a Voltquartsen trigger kit since the stock is trash. I went with the 22/45 Lite since I liked the grip angle and preinstalled rail. Not sure if the weight savings really mattered but I'm happy with the gun. You might want to clarify what "breaks the bank" means and what your goal is with the gun otherwise these recommendations are going to go off the rails quickly.

Whatever you do I'd budget in a Voltquartsen trigger kit since the stock is trash. I went with the 22/45 Lite since I liked the grip angle and preinstalled rail. Not sure if the weight savings really mattered but I'm happy with the gun. You might want to clarify what "breaks the bank" means and what your goal is with the gun otherwise these recommendations are going to go off the rails quickly.

My goal is actually to put together four identical pistols to give as gifts. I think it’s going to be more difficult than it sounds in the current market tho.

I like the look of the dark target model with wrap around laminate grip. Now I need to choose an optic.

Reflex/red dot sights seem to be the hard part to nail down. These will be range guns for teaching and punching paper. I’m not interested in buying garbage, but I don’t think I need a Trijicon that costs more than the pistol. Lol.

What do I want to look for in a reflex sight? Where does the money go between $175 and $600?

I appreciate any insight you guys can add.

I have a 22/45 MK III with a bull barrel. The thing is stupid fun to shoot. Def need another one at some point as well...

Reflex/red dot sights seem to be the hard part to nail down. These will be range guns for teaching and punching paper. I’m not interested in buying garbage, but I don’t think I need a Trijicon that costs more than the pistol. Lol.

What do I want to look for in a reflex sight? Where does the money go between $175 and $600?
For a .22 range gun I think you’d be fine with the lower end of the brand name stuff. Vortex venom has solid reviews.

For a .22 range gun I think you’d be fine with the lower end of the brand name stuff. Vortex venom has solid reviews.
i went even way cheaper than venom - with this, but, it was an amazon prime 'like new' used one, for $85.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7S58CS
works perfectly fine. there is almost no recoil there from .22lr, so, it just works. and buttons are good.

If I was in the market knowing that I need to put a bunch of stuff on the Ruger to bring it up into what you want I'd be looking for a S&W Mod 41 or a few of HS guns with the goal of a Victor but the Citation wasn't bad at the price point and the only sight I'd be buying is an AimPoint.
All of the above can be bought used in nice shape minus our current rape prices stage in life. I have a hard time in general looking at the new guns being offered but I also spent a lot of time in Gallery Match. I'd love another Victor but my 41 has punched its fair share of holes and killed a lot of yard rats.

I've got a target MK2 and a 22/45 MK3. I'd love a MK4 just because, but given that I don't shoot these nearly enough, it seems sort of silly.

As everyone has said, get the Volquartzen trigger kit. It was a little intimidating taking apart the fire control mechanism to install it, but
there's great videos, and it makes a world of difference. The factory trigger is inexcusably bad for a target pistol. But after the VQ it's sweet,
and the MK IV is so much easier to take down than the older Rugers, it's a pleasure actually.

FWIW whilst gunsmithing, I could always get the best results out of the Mk II triggers. Where going back many years, one I built was #2 in indoor bullseye shooting for upteem years against many very pricier pistols. But the shooter liked what he liked.

But get the Mk4 just for the cleaning ease! I had reassembled more Ruger Mk models for people than I care to count 🤪 ...

As everyone has said, get the Volquartzen trigger kit. It was a little intimidating taking apart the fire control mechanism to install it, but
there's great videos, and it makes a world of difference. The factory trigger is inexcusably bad for a target pistol. But after the VQ it's sweet,
and the MK IV is so much easier to take down than the older Rugers, it's a pleasure actually.
Do you have a link to the correct VQ kit? I‘m not sure which it was on their website

I've got the MK IV Hunter and it's really nice. I think you'd be pleased with anyone of them.

FWIW whilst gunsmithing, I could always get the best results out of the Mk II triggers. Where going back many years, one I built was #2 in indoor bullseye shooting for upteem years against many very pricier pistols. But the shooter liked what he liked.

But get the Mk4 just for the cleaning ease! I had reassembled more Ruger Mk models for people than I care to count 🤪 ...
This. [thumbsup]Bold is mine. Love my MK II 10" bull barrel. I also have anMK III

Next Ruger MK will be a IV.

Good luck. Matt

What ever you end up with make sure you slingshot the bolt to close it. Using the hold open lever to close the bolt will damage the pistol and after 1000 rounds the bolt will not stay open on the last round. People that tell you otherwise are misinformed.

Yeah I bought a used MK II 6.8" which someone did just an amazing trigger job on.

I love my little 22/45 lite. @CoastieRon is right, it’s like a ray gun, or a Star Wars blaster. Makes me feel like Han Solo[laugh]. If you do get one, invest in some Williams fire sights, they make a world of difference.

Attachments

• BE13B40E-00E6-4A2F-956E-54B62E069108.jpeg
    BE13B40E-00E6-4A2F-956E-54B62E069108.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom