• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark III with new red dot - shooting too high

Hi all - I just installed a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Ruger Mark III. While I can get the windage adjusted well, there appears to be insufficient adjustment for elevation. At 5 yards, and the elevation adjusted to max, it shoots about 2" high.

I found that with the elevation screwed all the way down, it shot about 6" high, and it with it about halfway out, it got to about 2" high, and it never seemed to shoot any lower from the midpoint adjustment to the screw falling out.

Has anyone had success using this sight on a Mark series pistol? Perhaps I should consider another sight...

Attachments

• IMG_20180227_195951599.jpg
    IMG_20180227_195951599.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 30
How much experience do you have with 22LR fire arms? Its not meant as a busting balls question its to gather what you know about it. 22lr travels one hell of an arc. It is not level out of the barrel then downward.......it travels upward then downward. Its all part of the "charm" of getting good with a 22lr at different distances. Your point of impact will intersect the line of sight two times. One is called near zero......when the bullet intersects the line of sight on the upward travel.....the other is the far zero when the bullet intersects the line of sigh on the downward travel. You need to test it at different distances to see what those two zeros are. For one of my 22 rifles I set it so that the near zero is about 75 (50 yards) feet and the far zero is about 250 feet (85 yards or so). When I engage targets at 75 feet I get point of aim is point of impact. When I engage targets set just before the 100 yard berm (set at about 85 yards) I get point of aim is point of impact. On the actual 100 yard berm I have to aim a smidge high to get a bullseye impact because the bullet has dropped a little since the far zero point of 85 yards.

On my single 10 revolver at close range 7-8 yards the bullet impacts quite high......the bullet comes out of the muzzle at a very high angle and is still traveling up.

With a 22 handgun sometimes you just can't get your sights aligned to have that "near zero" point that you want at close ranges. You just need to find a point of aim that works (aim low). Once you have an idea of where the near and far zero are........you know roughly where to hold to get your impact where you want it at different distances. To get really good with a 22lr at varying distances takes a lot of range time!

Last edited:
With my almost elderly eyes, I prefer shooting this pistol at distances from 15 to 50 feet. With iron sights, I do just fine. I think that the red dot sight is too high for distances this close. I'm going to send this one back, and have a Burris Fastfire II with a Ruger dovetail mount on order. The Burris will be mounted farther back, and closer to the bore axis of the pistol. This *should* help using this at closer distances.

I use the exact same setup for Bullseye except my gun is the stainless version. If you cannot adjust that Bushnell to hit POA at 25 yards something is very wrong. Could just be a defective optic. It happens.

I use the exact same setup for Bullseye except my gun is the stainless version. If you cannot adjust that Bushnell to hit POA at 25 yards something is very wrong. Could just be a defective optic. It happens.
Op is trying to zero at 5 yards......which in itself a problem with a 22 handgun in my experience.

5yrds is way to close to get an exact 0. If you try and get it exact at that range you can damage the adjustment. Ask me how I know. Doh!

FredD, just zero at 50 feet. I used to shoot a MkIII with a TRS-25 in bullseye competition and it worked perfectly for the 50ft bullseye targets. You'll just have to hold low on your 5yd targets.

Now I use a Fastfire 3 on a Volquartsen top end on my MkIII. You may have the same issue. Zero at 50 feet and you'll be fine. A typical red dot zero for pistols is going to be 15 yards for action shooting and 50 feet for bullseye anyway.

Back
Top Bottom