Ruger Mark III Hunter...

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Just picked up a like-new Ruger Mark III 6 7/8" HUNTER in SS with fluted barrel.
Thing looks like it's gonna be fun.
I have a Mark II in SS with a 5.5" bull barrel, so I'm guessing the same disassembly/assembly.

Who here has the Mark III Hunter here and how do you like it?

Mine was made in Dec/2015 and was shipped with a cardboard box, but I'd really like to find a Ruger green, hard box for it...

~Matt

iu

I’ve had one since 2012 or so and love it. Though I will admit I haven’t shot it in probably 2-3 years.

Got a cheap red dot on mine. Also threw in a Volquartsen target sear and tandemkross mag disconnect. Trigger is pretty nice.

Try eBay for the box. I’ve had some luck getting factory boxes when I’ve purchased a pre-owned gun.

Try eBay for the box. I’ve had some luck getting factory boxes when I’ve purchased a pre-owned gun.

I looked there first. [smile] but could not find a green box (or gray) for a 6 7/8" Mark III Hunter. I will check back periodically. Thanks!

I’ve had one since 2012 or so and love it. Though I will admit I haven’t shot it in probably 2-3 years.

I will probably tweak it a little too. I only paid $299 for it, so it leaves room. 4 Seasons has 2 used ones for sale (with box and extras) for $499 and $599 respectively.
Only problem so far is it came with out box, papers, rail/screws, and more importantly, the internal safety lock key. I watched a Ruger video on tear-down and it said you need the key to disassemble. Is this true?

Read some posts out there that said that the internal lock safety can back out and cause a firing/disassembly problem!?

Any advice?

~Matt

I had Greg Derr install a Majestic Arms takedown kit. It is awesome. Greg and company is awesome too, he smoothed that trigger and it is sooooo fine :). Good luck and happy shooting!

Mine is a Mark III Target, fun to shoot and cheap to shoot! I always liked the looks of the Hunter, beautiful! Either way those 10-rounders empty fast so you might want to find a speedloader ;)

I bought mine when the hunter was introduced, I don’t even know if mine had a lock or not? I have not had any issues to really mention.
Mine shoots as well as the ammo I toss through it. My skills are lacking with pistol shooting.
My hunter had a cheap sight on it for good old “tin can” plink’n

Mark 3 target w/ volquartsen mark 2 accurizing kit and fire sights is probably my favorite gun to shoot. Tack driver

Oh, and halo charging handle unless you like wearing bandaids!

I went on ShopRuger.com and got a key/tool and a couple of the nickle-plated mags for the Mark III. I guess they fit the Mark IV too, but not the Mark II (that I own one of...)

So, This?
iu

Or, this?

iu

The second one reminds me of a pinball machine ball-launch knob... [rofl2]

I'll stick with band-aids for now!

iu

Just got the McFadden Machine UCL-22 loader and the TANDEMKROSS MKIIIMD magazine disconnect bushing from Brownell's. Out the door for $31.08 (inc shipping)

Nearly $10 less than Amazon, and covered by Brownell's
forever-guaranteed-84x30.jpg
policy...
iu
iu

Gotta say it's a sharp looking pistol.
My son is getting the mark IV and we were looking at a few last weekend at the Big E gun show hoping to find a deal. [rofl]
He had gotten a price from our local GS so he knows what a new one will run him.
There was two used ones we saw and the dealers had them priced close to new. He asked the guy about his price and we got the story about how he sold it a few weeks ago and the buyer shot half a box of ammo through it and brought it back because he wanted the target model instead.
Every dealer says the gun he's selling only shot half a box of ammo! Like every used car salesman has a lot full of cars owned by little old ladies that went to bingo on Wednesday and church on Sunday.
Anyways I am eagerly awaiting my grandgun.

Nice little Youtube vid on Disassemble/Reassemble of the Mark III...
Best I've seen yet!

Just found a nice, effective, inexpensive leather holster for my Mark III Hunter on ebay. Even has a spare mag pouch...
Holster_Ruger_MarkII

Fits MkI, MkII, MkIII, MkIV
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

$34.19 Delivered. Well made and thick.
Fits both my MkIII Hunter's 6 7/8" barrel and my MkII Target's 5.5" Bull barrel.
It is available in a couple of finishes and you can get it without the "U.S.", and they also have a waving-flag embossed one too.

The stitchin is bitchin...
~Matt

Last edited:
TANDEMKROSS has a "Free Shipping" coupon code (any size order) good until 2020, one-time use: SHIPFREE

Has anyone dropped a Volquartsen accurizing kit in a MkIII Hunter? Do you like it?

48-1494600354-mkii-mkiii-accurizing-kit.jpg

I just installed the LCI filler and have the mag disco coming. I also ordered the Volquartsen kit...
How do you like the trigger? Sweet?

I’ve had mine for 10yrs. I love it. Controls
are the same as the center fire pistols.
The more I shoot the Hunter the better
I get at the larger pistols. Way cheaper to
shoot also.

Back
Top Bottom