• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark II owners--check your guns

Machines

NES Member
Just thought I'd send up a PSA in case anyone has an older Ruger they haven't inspected closely. I bought a beautiful 1993 Ruger Mark II Target the other day. Stripped it down and discovered the square retaining block for the bolt stop had broken its welds in the lower frame and was starting to deform as it rattled around. Called Ruger and they said it was a rare manufacturing defect, and they still have Mark II frames to repair it. So I'm getting a free rebuild--should be back in two weeks.

Most of the Mark guns I've seen have much larger, longer welds. I guess they had a few that were never properly finished.

Kudos to Ruger CS. Repairing a 25 year old gun at no charge is great, and while I had them on the phone I also asked a question about my 35-year-old Redhawk. They said they'd send me new sights for free.

NPiw9if.jpg

ZcQdRNf.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, time to pull it out and take a look. I don't remember what brand, but a few years ago I ran some of what felt like was really hot ammo through it. For a .22LR it had a loud pop and kick to it.

Saw this thread a while back and made a note to check my Gov't Target Model. This week I finally hauled it out and checked it, spent an hour at the range with it, then gave it a well deserved scrubbing. Mine is fine, but thanks for the PSA just the same.

Saw this thread a while back and made a note to check my Gov't Target Model. This week I finally hauled it out and checked it, spent an hour at the range with it, then gave it a well deserved scrubbing. Mine is fine, but thanks for the PSA just the same.

My 22/45 (I assume that's what you mean by "Gov't") has a plastic frame, doesn't yours? How could this failure happen to one?

Are there 22/45s with steel frames?

My 22/45 (I assume that's what you mean by "Gov't") has a plastic frame, doesn't yours? How could this failure happen to one?

Are there 22/45s with steel frames?

No... by government he means government target.
It's a version of the MKII with a 6" bull barrel

This is from another forum:

Shortly after its introduction in January of 1987, The American Rifleman did a report on the Ruger Government Target Model pistol. I found the following from this article:

"Ruger's Mark I and Mark II pistols have been used since the 1950s as .22 rimfire training guns by the U.S. military services.
A current version of the Mark II is replacing earlier service pistols by Ruger and other makers, and Ruger is now offering it for commercial sales.
The Ruger Government Target Model is in most respects identical to the Bull Barrel model, except it has a 6 7/8" barrel instead of the 5 1/2" tube of the older gun...The gun is rollmarked "Government Target Model" behind the ejection port where the military guns are marked "U.S."
The manufacturer states the Government Target Models are targeted using a patented laser sighting device at the factory. Government acceptance standards require that 10 shots must fall inside a 1 1/4" circle when fired from a range of 25 yds., and a test target is packed with each gun. Alsopacked with the pistol is a facsimile government technical manual..."

In October of 1987, Shooting Times author Dick Metcalf reported:

"...In essence, this new gun is a 6 7/8" bull-barrel version of the Mark II Target Model with higher profile adjustable sights...Created to meet U.S. military specifications for match-grade pistols, it has been chosen as the standard target and training handgun of the U.S. Armed Forces, replacing earlier models from Ruger and other manufacturers previously used for those purposes. The new civilian version of the RugerGovernment Model (catalog designation 'MK678G') is identical to the military version, except the 'U.S.' stamping over the serial number is not present and the rear right side of the receiver is stamped 'Government Target Model.' From the domestic consumer's point of view, however, the most notable quality of the new gun is its accuracy...
Every Government Model .22 auto that leaves the Ruger plant is first targeted to military accuracy specifications via a special pistol lasersighting device...These specifications require 10 consecutive shots from a machine rest at 25 yards, all of which must fall within or cut the edge of a 1.25 inch bullseye. The target for each gun that's shipped with it is signed by the Ruger employee who tested the gun. That's the minimum required. If the test targets I have seen are any indication, the Government Models being shipped are considerably better.The test target for Shooting Times' review pistol measured less than one inch in extreme spread-10 shots in one ragged hole..."

On 1-30-91, my brother received the following letter from James Van Ness, Ruger Service Department Manager:

"This is in reference to your letter concerning the difference between the 5 1/2" bull barrel Target Model pistol and the GovernmentModel pistol.
...The basic difference is that we do target the Government Model at 25 yards with CCI Green Tag ammunition to insure it shoots a 1 1/4" group. This is not to say that you might not get the same results with your 5 1/2" bull barrel, but it would not have to in order to meet our manufacturing specifications.
The Government Model also has a heat treated chamber which allows us to hold it to a slightly tighter specification..."

Looks like it got a tack-weld only and wasn't finished.

My dad is good friends with Bill Jr. In 1983, he wanted to get me a .22 as a 16th birthday present. We were both shooting in a local .22 bullseye league. I was using his gun. He called Bill Jr. and asked what was the best Ruger to use for something like this. My dad went to Southport CT to pick up my gun and when he did, received a test target with one ragged hole. My gun was hand picked, but was told that it wasn't particularly unique.

I still have that Mk II and with over 60,000 rounds through it, the only thing I've replaced is the extractor. Pretty much right after I got it I put in a Volquhartsen trigger, hammer and sear kit.

I think the MkII is the best Mk made.

Dug out my 1990 SS 5.5" Bull-Barrel Ruger MkII Target today. Compared it to my new-to-me MkIII Hunter. I have neither shot nor handled this gun since just before 9/11.
I wish I had...

It is so much better, as far as construction/fit & finish than the 2015 MkIII (which is still very, very nice.) My biggest complaint about the MkIII is the "Loaded Chamber Indicator" (LCI).
Which just robs the platform of its Classic look and lines. I have ordered a TANDEMKROSS LCI filler in SS for it. I even forgot I had put the Pachmayr wrap grips on it... and love them.
I have also found quite a few online posts that state removing the LCI tightened up the groups.
The biggest complaint being that it ever-so-slightly cants the round in the chamber to varying degrees which can effect consistency of groups.

I'm going shooting!

~Matt

Looks just like this:
iu

Thanks for the research, RDG! It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words.........
these govt models are cool. I own 2, unfired, with consecutive serial numbers I got in 83??..84???. don't remember actual date but have the sales receipt. I know where a third unfired 678g is that completes a set of 3 consecutive numbers when put with my 2. no big deal now but when I got them, ruger went to great pains to make sure they didn't ship consecutive numbers on the same pallets to distributors. their reasoning was they didn't want to create collector pieces. I was helping out a buddy and picking up a gun order at a distributor. I walked over to a stray pallet of rugers I saw (I was a huge ruger collector back then) and almost shit myself when I saw the 3 pistols sitting on top of the pallet. I had them put on the invoice and brought them back to the shop with the order. my buddy almost gave birth he was so pissed that I added the 3 guns to his order. to screw me, he kept one of them, still has it, and I bought the other 2. they haven't been out of the plastic since the day they were written up on the transfer.

this was suppose to be a limited run. after the government order was filled, they kept crankin' em out for civilian sales but didn't stop. I called ruger to get their projected production numbers for the gun but of course they didn't give that info out.

cc driver, is that a flyer on your target? at 7 o'clock? I've never seen a supplied target that wasn't one jagged hole. that's pretty cool. do you know where your pistol was in the production run? is there any other markings on your gun? i'm thinking that it may have been a rejected gun from the government run. look the pistol over carefully for an odd stamping. just for yucks, do you have a civilian serial number or a US one?

Great post Mr. Cobra. It is nice to see these Great American pistols in the spotlight again.
I've owned all kinds of .22 rimfire handguns. Pistols and revolvers. I must say that of all of them these little beauties from Sturm-Ruger are my favorite and worthy of many more years in that spotlight...

Mr. Enbloc

The model number for the traditional Govt model is the MK-678G. Mk for the type of gun. 678 because the barrel is 6 7/8" long. G for Govt model.
The stainless version was the KMK-678G. The K added to the beginning means Stainless Steel in Ruger model naming conventions.

Any of you guys with older Mk I, II, III Rugers with the original magazine springs still in there, and are experiencing FTF's and stovepipes... Try new springs!
I got a set of 3 "Green Springs" from TANDEMKROSS that are exceptional, for $9.99.
Better than factory original at $4 each. (which, after a call, I'm told are no longer being made/sold by Ruger)

Product_GreenSprings_NEW_thumbnail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom