Ruger Mark I - Looking for some info

Hi guys. I have a Ruger Mark I that was given to me by my stepfather after I got my LTC. It is a lot of fun to shoot and I think I will hold onto it for a long time. I have a few minor questions Im hoping some of you might help me with. I checked the serial numbers with Ruger and it appears that it dates to 1965. Can anyone tell me about the extended Fitz Grips that are on here? I was thinking that I really wanted to find some original grips to put on it to bring it back to its original condition. However Im not sure if thats the best idea? These grips are really comfortable but Im just curious if anyone knows anything about them. I have only been a gun owner for a few years and have not been shooting a real lot int hat time, but I have just joined a local club and really plan to pick up the hobby quite a bit more. This gun is fun to shoot but Im looking to see if there are any modifications I can or should make to it to make it better at the range. From what I can find there doesnt seem to be too many accessories or modifications for this gun, only Mk II and MkIII. If I wanted to get some updated grips is there somewhere I might be able to find these?? Im really happy to have this piece of history and any info or comments you guys can add would be great. Happy Holidays!! Pictures Below

bfa1d40a971e89f70ee0bffbf7819951_zps45207984.jpg

7c9135d75437c0ef9282c59755ab0b79_zpsaf28c5ec.jpg

ef3813251c17bc4c9c9642838883db6f_zps086d90f5.jpg

5ed062880d923d3bcf7a4f2423584dec_zps12043f99.jpg

76d36b560518b427a5072a958a81bcd0_zps65d13d5a.jpg

cb613b7456aee6e1103cc2fae3acdd59_zpsfcd21eb9.jpg

67ecc87fa99cbff4ff0b2483f82613e5_zpsf0fc87c6.jpg

Nice gun.

I would just shoot it as is. The triggers aren't too bad on those old guns, having been designed by gun makers, not lawyers. I'd also leave the grips on it that it came with. While they aren't original, they are period for that gun.

I would start looking for grips, just to have. But thats me. I'm a hoarder.

Standard new mags will fit that gun. you just need to remove the base plate and swap the loading button to the other side.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/540530.htm

Harder to find the A54 frame grips, which yours appears to be, than the A100 frame grips. The above link is for original Ruger checkered walnut. eBay, etc will also have some listed here and there. I have a 1971 RST4, not the MK1 like yours, your is fancier[grin]. Very nice gun and enjoyable to shoot, enjoy.

I've got a MKI just like yours with target grips on it. Fun to shoot, but my mag is a PITA to load.

You said it! The extended grips make it a HUGE PITA to get the mags out. Probably worth it though for the extension. I imagine they are much more comfortable for large hands then standard grips.

Nice gun, don't ever sell it (unless it's to me).

I have a MkI from 1976 that I love. I've done a trigger upgrade replaced a cracked grip with new factory ones. I use standard Mk II, MkIII mags without any problems.

Your grips look like they make the already difficult to operate mag release worse. I have hex head grip screws because they look cool. I would absolutely update the mag release to an after market extended release. You'll thank me later.

Nice gun, don't ever sell it (unless it's to me).

I have a MkI from 1976 that I love. I've done a trigger upgrade replaced a cracked grip with new factory ones. I use standard Mk II, MkIII mags without any problems.

Your grips look like they make the already difficult to operate mag release worse. I have hex head grip screws because they look cool. I would absolutely update the mag release to an after market extended release. You'll thank me later.

Exactly the type of tips I am looking for! I appreciate the feedback my friend. Can you point me in the right direction for a good place to look at an extended mag release (and the hex head grip bolts). I think I will follow your lead on both of these.

As for the trigger, it seems to be in great working order. Smallest pull I could ever imagine.

Have you had any issues with the bolt? Mine is EXTREMELY difficult to pull just at the very beginning. Its that first 1/4 to 1/2 inch that takes extra effort to get it back. I have taken the gun apart and cleaned it so Im not sure if I just need to oil it up or do a better job cleaning or if there is something else I can do to get that bolt moving freely all the way through. Thanks for the help!

Exactly the type of tips I am looking for! I appreciate the feedback my friend. Can you point me in the right direction for a good place to look at an extended mag release (and the hex head grip bolts). I think I will follow your lead on both of these.

I've only been able to find these on-line. While you're at it, given the gun's age, you should think about replacing the recoil spring and firing pin. They're short-money items that wear out.

Have you had any issues with the bolt? Mine is EXTREMELY difficult to pull just at the very beginning. Its that first 1/4 to 1/2 inch that takes extra effort to get it back. I have taken the gun apart and cleaned it so Im not sure if I just need to oil it up or do a better job cleaning or if there is something else I can do to get that bolt moving freely all the way through. Thanks for the help!
No, that's pretty much how they work. You need a little extra oomph to get the bold going.

It says this is for a Mk II. Any certainty that this will fit my Mk I?
It will fit. The mag release on the Mk I and Mk II is the same. It's what I bought to put in my Mk I. But I did get the stainless steel version 'cause I thought the contrast make my gun look cooler. It's a little trick to get in though.

No, that's pretty much how they work. You need a little extra oomph to get the bold going.

Based on my experience with the mk3, I believe the extra oomph at the beginning is because you're also pulling against the mainspring to cock the hammer. The 2nd time you pull the bolt back, it goes much easier.

22MarkI I have a complete Fitz Accu-Riser grip set for the Ruger Mark I. It includes the palm part which can make it a right hand or left hand shooter.
If any interest email me for a picture. [email protected]

As 1644 mentioned your grips are missing the palm shelf. You can get factory original grips from the auction sites Gunbroker, Ebay etc.
Volquartsen makes an extended magazine release that is even longer than the Ranch Products and will work even better with the Fitz grips.
Most of the aftermarket accessories for the MKII will work in the MKI also.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom