Ruger Mark 4 Springs & Maintenance

Hello everyone,

I have about 7k rounds through my beloved Mk4 and I seem to be getting issues, with feeding (rounds won't pull off the mag cleanly) and bolt staying closed on empty (probably a bad box of ammo). So far its nothing really irritating, nothing a rack,tap,bang ethos wont fix, but I want to try and tighten everything up so it wont pull it in competition

So my questions are, when generally would you guys replace recoil and mag springs to keep everything running the best that it can? Or are there better aftermarket replacements that are a bit more heavy duty for extreme volume shooting.

I've had a MkII for many years and never replace a thing. Works fine as long as it is clean. Have you had this apart for a full cleaning? I sometimes need to use a toothpick to clean all the .22 dirty crap out of the extractor. Give it a good soak before and after the toothpick, then scrub with a toothbrush. Then lightly oil and wipe down before putting back together.

I've had a MkII for many years and never replace a thing. Works fine as long as it is clean. Have you had this apart for a full cleaning? I sometimes need to use a toothpick to clean all the .22 dirty crap out of the extractor. Give it a good soak before and after the toothpick, then scrub with a toothbrush. Then lightly oil and wipe down before putting back together.

I generally field strip it to clean, but i did have it apart about 2000ish rounds ago (as if that matters). What would you recommend soaking the parts in?

I don't have near that through any of my MK IV's but likely do through my Mark II's.
I've never replaced a main spring and only a recoil spring when trying to tune the gun for light ammo.
My advice is to clean EVERYTHING super well and change one thing at a time. First the ammo, then the mag, then main spring,....
My bets would be that something is fouled or that your mag is tired.

Again, I have way more than that through a MKII, and haven't replaced a thing. If it starts choking, a cleaning and oiling always fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom