Ruger LCRx 22 WMR Revolver 6rd

10 oz. or 12 oz., NOW we're talking!

How much is the P3AT or the Kahr P380?

Again, this is for putting in my shorts pocket, and I don't want it pulling them down. Max lightness and compactness is the goal. It is not about sustained shooting of 357 at the range.

Thanks.

.22 Magnum is not reliable and at only 6 rounds vs the 8 for .22 LR or 6 in .327... easy pass for me.

If you really want a .22 Mag snub, get the 8 shot Taurus.
22 mag is reliable enough with CCI. You will go broke before you get a maxi mag that doesn't fire.

If you really want a .22 Mag snub, get the 8 shot Taurus.
Is that one lighter than 12 or 10 oz? Titanium/aluminum/scandium?

Does Charter Arms make any super lightweight snubnose revolvers?

The first post was just because I liked the way it looked. A .38 would probably make the most sense, other than .357.

10 oz. or 12 oz., NOW we're talking!

How much is the P3AT or the Kahr P380?

Again, this is for putting in my shorts pocket, and I don't want it pulling them down. Max lightness and compactness is the goal. It is not about sustained shooting of 357 at the range.

Thanks.
Now that I know what you want. I can really help you. I purchased and carried .380s in this order.

P3AT - unreliable. I hated shooting it. I shot 100 rounds through it in 2 years.

Ruger LCP - Very very reliable. Almost as light as the P3AT. Miserable to shoot. I shot 500 rounds through it in 4 years.

Kahr P380 - much better shooting than either the Kahr or Ruger. Smaller than the Ruger, but a bit heavier. Overall a perfect balance.
I started reloading .380 because I enjoyed shooting this gun.

Glock 42 - even better shooting than the Kahr. But FOR ME. It was too big to be my "always gun". The Kahr I can just stick in a shorts pocket and not think about it. The G42 didn't work with some pants. So I sold it.

The 342 is as light as those other guns. But in a pocket holster it is MUCH BIGGER than the P380.

Kahr has since come out with a less nicely finished but much less expensive version of the P380 called the CW380. ($776 vs $436 MSRP)

Neither are MA approved. So you would need to find them on the secondary market.

The Kahrs take a bit of investment in ammo and time to find ammo that it likes. My P380 is 100% with Hornady Critical Defense.

I hope this helps.

22 mag is reliable enough with CCI. You will go broke before you get a maxi mag that doesn't fire.
.22 ammo reliability is much less important also in a revolver. In a semi-auto, you have a stoppage that you must troubleshoot and clear.

In a revolver the most instinctive and novice reaction to a "click", pulling the trigger again, is the correct reaction. Since a revolver will automatically move the failed round out of battery and put a fresh round under the hammer.

Was also thinking about looking at a Derringer or a NAA. I just want something to kill a coyote or two or whatever else when in the woods with the dog, or out and about.

I'm guessing the Sig 365 is bigger.

Now I'm wondering if they make a Derringer or NAA in polymer.

Was also thinking about looking at a Derringer or a NAA. I just want something to kill a coyote or two or whatever else when in the woods with the dog, or out and about.

I'm guessing the Sig 365 is bigger.

Now I'm wondering if they make a Derringer or NAA in polymer.
Don't get a derringer. They aren't real guns. I owned a NAA in .22 mag. it was a hoot to shoot. But it wasn't a real gun.

Go check out the Ruger LCP2 or Kahr CW380.

Basically the determining factor is what the metal part of the frame is made of. The .38 and the .22 is aluminum. The .357 and 9mm is steel. I don't know what the .327 is made of.
The .327 is made of stainless steel and weighs 19.45 oz. fully loaded with six rounds of 75gr. Barnes TAC-XP lead free (just weighed mine). That load gives you about 400 ft. lbs. of energy. Empty it weighs 17 oz., only 0.4 oz more than the .22 WMR which comes in at 16.6 oz. It is my pocket carry gun and I don’t find it too heavy for that purpose. I like it since it gives you the capacity of the .22 with the performance of a .38 +P. Plus you can practice with the much softer shooting .32 S&W long.

In my ideal world, it would be 9mm, .22, .38/.357 since I already have those calibers. I'm considering .22Mag also for a rifle, so this also drove me to that choice.

While the .327 is compelling, I'd rather not start with another caliber if I could help it, unless one came up for some incredible sale price used somewhere.

Any titanium (scandium?) semi-auto's out there? Didn't Taurus used to make one? Or is it just go with plastic at that point?

The LCR LRCX .327 Federal Magnum can use .32 H&R Mag, .32 S&W Long (.32 Colt New Police), .32 S&W, and the semi-rimmed .32 ACP, and maybe some other .32 caliber rounds according to RevolverGuy blog.

Sounds like .327 in it is very stout and harsh to shoot, so the other .32 cartridges might be more pleasant out of it.

OK, I just saw this thread:

Now I want a S&W 940 in Scandium/Aluminum/Titanium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my ideal world, it would be 9mm, .22, .38/.357 since I already have those calibers. I'm considering .22Mag also for a rifle, so this also drove me to that choice.

While the .327 is compelling, I'd rather not start with another caliber if I could help it, unless one came up for some incredible sale price used somewhere.

Any titanium (scandium?) semi-auto's out there? Didn't Taurus used to make one? Or is it just go with plastic at that point?

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

One factoid - no gun is actually made from Scandium. Scandium is a rare element with a cost of about $5000 per pound. It is useful because minute amounts of it alloyed into Aluminum make the aluminum tougher.

So the 342 uses standard 6 or 7 series aluminum alloy for its frame. The 340 uses the aluminum alloy that includes Scandium.

Would love to try some of these side by side. Any shops have all of these? Kittery?
If you had a time machine and you could go back till like say January of like 2020 that might actually be possible but good luck with that now.... it doesn't seem like there's an abundance of revolvers being produced by either Ruger or S & W although I think that will change in the future because the market is definitely getting softer....

The .38 LCR weighs 13.5oz. It's light enough that I can carry it in a hoodie pocket without it being pulled down enough to be uncomfortable or noticable. I used to pocket carry it in dress slacks to work.

I've had a S&W 638 airweight with an apex spring kit installed for years. I throw it in my pocket when I walk the dog at night (no coyotes here in town during the day).
I used to practice with it regularly and you wouldn't believe how smooth that trigger is now. Even with a bad hand/wrist, I know if I had to I could take care of a coyote with it. I trust a .38 more than a .22 for those vermin.

This pistol features a lightweight alloy frame with a stainless steel barrel and cylinder. It weights 14.6 oz.
Don't know what area you're in, but if you're on the northshore and want to try it let me know.

Lol, I've had every brand of .22 Mag fail on me across three different single actions. Not saying CCI isn't better quality, it is, but it's not the magic brand to make all rimfire duds go away.

Is that one lighter than 12 or 10 oz? Titanium/aluminum/scandium?

Does Charter Arms make any super lightweight snubnose revolvers?

The first post was just because I liked the way it looked. A .38 would probably make the most sense, other than .357.
No, the Taurus is 17oz I think and Aluminum.

I would be very leery of buying any Charter Arms right now, I don't think the quality is there, but they do make some very light 12oz revolvers that use Aluminum and not polymer like the LCR. I figure if I'm gonna get a revolver that weighs that little, it may as well be made of metal. If you don't have an issue using that lifetime warranty frequently, go ahead and get the Charter.

The one universal thing I keep seeing with Charter rimfires is for $300-350 you cannot find a trigger that's more bang for you buck. You could spend $600 on a Ruger and end up with a worse trigger.

Lol, I've had every brand of .22 Mag fail on me across three different single actions. Not saying CCI isn't better quality, it is, but it's not the magic brand to make all rimfire duds go away.
Guns are junk, then. Stop buying junk. (Or fix the guns?)

Guns are junk, then. Stop buying junk. (Or fix the guns?)
Of course that's the convenient excuse, but I don't think NAA makes junk guns, Heritage you could make that argument, but when in all of them I have shot 10 times more in .22 LR than .22 Mag and had the same or less duds, there's something wrong with the ammo. I could go and buy a S&W or Ruger, but I have no interest in a .22 Mag only revolver, not when I can get a .32 or .327 Magnum and reload it for less than what a box of CCI .22 Mag costs and be more reliable and have a better trigger.

Of course that's the convenient excuse, but I don't think NAA makes junk guns, Heritage you could make that argument, but when in all of them I have shot 10 times more in .22 LR than .22 Mag and had the same or less duds, there's something wrong with the ammo. I could go and buy a S&W or Ruger, but I have no interest in a .22 Mag only revolver, not when I can get a .32 or .327 Magnum and reload it for less than what a box of CCI .22 Mag costs and be more reliable and have a better trigger.

I used to own one of those tiny NAA 22lr revolvers - IT WAS JUNK! I'm a good shot, and I couldn't even hit the paper with it. I even went right up, maybe 6' from the target and shot - no idea where the bullet went but it didn't hit the paper.

In theory they're cool, reality leaves a lot to be desired.

Like I said, I don't think I want to start with a new caliber, plus I wouldn't reload for this. I would load it, and leave it for months, maybe take it to the range every couple months to remember what it does, and to freshen the ammo (5-8 rounds I guess). This is a very purposeful gun, not a range toy.

I used to own one of those tiny NAA 22lr revolvers - IT WAS JUNK! I'm a good shot, and I couldn't even hit the paper with it. I even went right up, maybe 6' from the target and shot - no idea where the bullet went but it didn't hit the paper.

In theory they're cool, reality leaves a lot to be desired.
And that's why I hate fixed sights. Mine is a 7 o'clock hold to hit center. The adjustable sighted models like the Black Widow and Minimaster are much better.

Like I said, I don't think I want to start with a new caliber, plus I wouldn't reload for this. I would load it, and leave it for months, maybe take it to the range every couple months to remember what it does, and to freshen the ammo (5-8 rounds I guess). This is a very purposeful gun, not a range toy.
If it's not a range toy and will be used for emergency situations, I cannot recommend it. Get .22 LR instead and use good ammo.

If you have CCI rimfire ammo that doesn't fire, something is wrong with your gun. This bullshit about "rimfire being unreliable" needs to just die a horrible, writhing death. I've never had common duds in anything but cheap bulk packed 22 LR.

Fun example- I owned a 17 HMR rifle, I must have fed 1000 rounds through that thing. I only ever had ONE round fail to go off. I used tons of CCI as well as some Hornady stuff.

You know the one round that didnt fire? It was a Hornady vmax round. It went through my f***ing washing machine. That's why it didn't go off. [rofl]

If you have CCI rimfire ammo that doesn't fire, something is wrong with your gun. This bullshit about "rimfire being unreliable" needs to just die a horrible, writhing death. I've never had common duds in anything but cheap bulk packed 22 LR.

Fun example- I owned a 17 HMR rifle, I must have fed 1000 rounds through that thing. I only ever had ONE round fail to go off. I used tons of CCI as well as some Hornady stuff.

You know the one round that didnt fire? It was a Hornady vmax round. It went through my f***ing washing machine. That's why it didn't go off. [rofl]
It just so happens that I've been keeping track of all my rimfire duds this year (something I plan to do until I'm dead) and to date I've had 3: CCI Quiet in one of the NAA's, some Federal bulk in a CP33, and CCI Quiet in a Phoenix that rarely ever gives me problems, but most of what I shoot in it is CCI Standard.

IMO comparing rimfire rifles to rimfire handguns is not an apples to apples comparison, especially revolvers which are necessarily limited in hammer force in order to not make cocking the hammer or pulling the trigger a Herculean effort. If you want to bring up statistics of how much rimfire ammo you've shot and how many were duds, keep it to handguns because that's what's relevant here.

That said do I hate everything .22 Magnum? No, I think a rifle in .22 Mag is a fine gun and I'm looking at getting a single shot or .410/.22 Mag combination gun myself soon, but in a handgun? I don't see it as a good choice, especially if it's not a single action that you can swap cylinders to shoot .22 LR instead and not when the "good" ammo from CCI, Maxi-Pads or whatever, even before WuFlu cost more than what cheap 9mm did and is still inherently less reliable.

Back
Top Bottom