Ruger LCRx 22 WMR Revolver 6rd

Ruger LCRx 22 WMR Revolver 6rd​

Anyone have one? If so, thoughts?

Ruger+LCR+2.jpg++5465

Thought this might make a nice little pocketbook gun for the wife.

Thought this might make a nice little pocketbook gun for the wife.
Pocketbook/purse carry seems like a bad idea. Good luck drawing from underneath the two wallets, mascara, loose tampons, extra scarf, car keys, frying pan, toaster oven, cinder block, and whatever else women carry around in those 100lbs $4000 bags.

I have an LCR (shrouded hammer) in 327 Fed Mag. It is my deep conceal pocket carry for EDC. Their claim that its patented friction-reducing cam improves the trigger is absolutely true. This gun has one of the nicest double action pulls of any gun I have (which is good since the LCR is DAO). It’s a bit small for shooting 327 mag comfortably, but shooting 32 S&W long or even 32 H&R magnum is fine. In 22 WMR it should be pretty mild. Easy to conceal in a a regular jean pocket with a small Desantis pocket holster.

.22 Magnum is not reliable and at only 6 rounds vs the 8 for .22 LR or 6 in .327... easy pass for me.

If you really want a .22 Mag snub, get the 8 shot Taurus.

The problem with the rimfire versions of the LCR is the ridiculously stiff trigger.

the .22 LR version has a much stiffer mainspring, necessary to reliably ignite rimfire rounds. This meant the trigger was MUCH heavier than centerfire versions of the LCR.

I had a woman student who had her carry license, but was having a hard time getting comfortable shooting.

The first time we met, I assessed her as being someone who had pretty good marksmanship skills but her gun handling was atrocious.

She was perhaps the least mechanically inclined person I've ever given instruction to. The answer to me was a revolver.

So I borrowed a Ruger LCR in 38 and she did ok. She had some trouble with recoil management, but I thought we could do better.

I was also able to borrow a .22 LR LCR and we tried that. I didn't know about the DA trigger. She had a hard time with that.

So we took a chance and ordered a .327 from an FFL friend as well as a larger hogue grip that allows her whole hand to fit on the grip.

When she shot the gun, it was a match made in heaven. The best in the business LCR double action trigger, combined with the large grip and low recoil of the .327 produced a very shootable gun that she loved.

The extra round over the .38 didn't hurt either.

.22 Magnum is not reliable and at only 6 rounds vs the 8 for .22 LR or 6 in .327... easy pass for me.
I had read that in general .22 WMR is more reliable than .22LR. In my personal experience this is true. I've probably put 400 - 500 rounds through my 351PD without a malfunction. Have shot many thousands of rounds of .22LR and experience maybe 3 malfunctions out of every 100 rounds fired. YMMV.

It doesn't matter if its .22 mag or regular .22. The thing that makes a .22 an acceptable defensive caliber in a revolver is that if you get a dud, the instinctive act of squeezing the trigger again (and it is a SQUEEZE, not a press, ha) will move the bad round out and put a fresh round under the hammer. No remedial action necessary other than pulling the trigger again.

You don't get that in a .22 semi-auto pressed into use for defensive purposes.

But you still have the problem of DA trigger in a .22 defensive revolver.

I had read that in general .22 WMR is more reliable than .22LR. In my personal experience this is true. I've probably put 400 - 500 rounds through my 351PD without a malfunction. Have shot many thousands of rounds of .22LR and experience maybe 3 malfunctions out of every 100 rounds fired. YMMV.
Wish I could say the same. 3 different guns, I can go hundreds of rounds without a .22 LR dud, the .22 Mag, depending on the brand, it could be every single one (Aguila) that doesn't fire until the second strike or it's 1-2 every 50 rd box that doesn't fire at all. The fact with .22 Mag is that it was never made to be fired in a revolver while .22 LR is an offshoot of .22 Short, which was designed to be shot in a revolver.

I think there's a few things going on with .22 Mag, one being the brass is thicker in the rim due to the higher pressure and because rifle firing pins hit the rim harder than revolver hammer mainsprings can and the long necks on the .22 Mag cause the priming compound to get stuck more easily and have a higher instance of failure to reach the rim.

The problem with the rimfire versions of the LCR is the ridiculously stiff trigger.

the .22 LR version has a much stiffer mainspring, necessary to reliably ignite rimfire rounds. This meant the trigger was MUCH heavier than centerfire versions of the LCR.

I had a woman student who had her carry license, but was having a hard time getting comfortable shooting.

The first time we met, I assessed her as being someone who had pretty good marksmanship skills but her gun handling was atrocious.

She was perhaps the least mechanically inclined person I've ever given instruction to. The answer to me was a revolver.

So I borrowed a Ruger LCR in 38 and she did ok. She had some trouble with recoil management, but I thought we could do better.

I was also able to borrow a .22 LR LCR and we tried that. I didn't know about the DA trigger. She had a hard time with that.

So we took a chance and ordered a .327 from an FFL friend as well as a larger hogue grip that allows her whole hand to fit on the grip.

When she shot the gun, it was a match made in heaven. The best in the business LCR double action trigger, combined with the large grip and low recoil of the .327 produced a very shootable gun that she loved.

The extra round over the .38 didn't hurt either.
I hadn’t thought about the difference in the rimfire trigger vs the centerfire trigger. I do think the LCR or LCRx in 327 is a very versatile handgun. You can practice with 32 S&W longs, which have less muzzle energy than a 22 LR, and then carry the 32 H&R magnum, which has about the same ME as a 22 WRM. If you want to go whole hog you can use 327 Fed mag. In the self-defense loadings the magnum will give you almost 400 ft. lbs out of the LCR’s snub barrel, though it’s not pleasant to shoot.

Pocketbook/purse carry seems like a bad idea. Good luck drawing from underneath the two wallets, mascara, loose tampons, extra scarf, car keys, frying pan, toaster oven, cinder block, and whatever else women carry around in those 100lbs $4000 bags.
Um, they do make purses with special pockets you know.

Um, they do make purses with special pockets you know.
Yeah. The real reason off body carry is a terrible idea is that the purse will be the item that people will try to grab.

So now you are fighting with someone over your purse with no access to your gun.

You want your gun somewhere else. Although off body is better than nothing.

I hadn’t thought about the difference in the rimfire trigger vs the centerfire trigger. I do think the LCR or LCRx in 327 is a very versatile handgun. You can practice with 32 S&W longs, which have less muzzle energy than a 22 LR, and then carry the 32 H&R magnum, which has about the same ME as a 22 WRM. If you want to go whole hog you can use 327 Fed mag. In the self-defense loadings the magnum will give you almost 400 ft. lbs out of the LCR’s snub barrel, though it’s not pleasant to shoot.
Yup. The .32 version of the LCR is really the goldilocks gun. The only downside is cost of practice ammo.

I did not know that, as I've never spent any time researching purses. I still think purse carry is a bad idea though.
Yes. Its a terrible idea. Why would you want to put your gun inside the item that is most likely going to be the target of a thief.

If someone tries to grab your purse, the best course of action in many cases is to let it go. If you have a gun in it, its also another reason you may fight him for it.

The purse is just for transport to work, it would sit on the floor under the desk. The purpose is not for "carry", but to get it to the destination.

Go for it! I pocket carry one in 38. Great pistol.
Same here.

They have a rattle in the transfer bar that is mildly annoying to some.

I replaced the front sight with a night sight and thought it was a worthwhile improvement and it was easy to do.

XS Sight Systems, Inc. - Products - LCR

It is a great little pocket carry gun.

Bob

Now thinking about maybe a .38.

Do they make one in this same color (tan and black)?

What is a/the light weight S&W pocket snubby to compare with this? Something in "scandium" I guess.

Similar 327 version

Nice, but heavier i think.

Looking for very light weight.

Use KelTec P3AT and Kahr PM9 as reference points.

I believe the .38 version of the LCR is the lightest. Great little gun, it's on me literally 15+ hrs/day, every day.

The 38 version is the lightest.

Basically the determining factor is what the metal part of the frame is made of. The .38 and the .22 is aluminum. The .357 and 9mm is steel. I don't know what the .327 is made of.

Coyote - I've owned a P3AT and PM9. The PM9 was too heavy for me to comfortably carry in my pocket. It was significantly heavier (though not much larger) than most .380s. (I have owned the P3AT, LCP, Kahr P380, and G42, my favorite and the only one I still own is a Kahr P380)

I also own a Smith and Wesson 340. This is the Aluminum / scandium alloy framed J frame. It has a titanium cylinder and a stainless barrel liner pressed into the aluminum barrel shroud.

It weighs about 12 oz and is absolutely miserable to shoot with .357s.

A friend use to own a 342 - this is a .38 special version of the same gun. The frame is also aluminum alloy (though without Scandium) and is otherwise assembled the same way with a pressed in barrel and titanium cylinder. It weighs about 10 oz.

Back
Top Bottom