• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LCR Issue

Just wanted to let my fellow NES'rs know about an issue I had with my carry LCR. For a while, I noticed the cylinder release was getting difficult to operate. Upon closer inspection, it was very obvious that there was a tiny slotted screw projecting out below the release that I hadn't noticed during routine cleaning because it was so tiny and black like the rest of the gun. This video helped me see what was going on:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3_Pn4OSh4

It took a bit of searching thru my tools to find a screwdriver that would fit, but I was able to screw it back in all the way until it stopped. While still not as smooth as my S&W 640 cylinder release, it is now much better than it was with the screw backed out, I gave it a tiny drop of militec 1 and that seemed to also help.

Bottom line is that you should always pay close attention to all your guns, but especially any carry guns every time you clean them as there may be a problem developing that may not disable the gun right away, but probably will just when you need it most!

Just wanted to let my fellow NES'rs know about an issue I had with my carry LCR. For a while, I noticed the cylinder release was getting difficult to operate. Upon closer inspection, it was very obvious that there was a tiny slotted screw projecting out below the release that I hadn't noticed during routine cleaning because it was so tiny and black like the rest of the gun. This video helped me see what was going on:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3_Pn4OSh4

It took a bit of searching thru my tools to find a screwdriver that would fit, but I was able to screw it back in all the way until it stopped. While still not as smooth as my S&W 640 cylinder release, it is now much better than it was with the screw backed out, I gave it a tiny drop of militec 1 and that seemed to also help.

Bottom line is that you should always pay close attention to all your guns, but especially any carry guns every time you clean them as there may be a problem developing that may not disable the gun right away, but probably will just when you need it most!

I found the same issue with my sp101 like 3 years ago. Found a screw driver to fit it.....put some lock Tite on it and tightened it down. Has not backed out in 3 years. It's a daily carry and I shoot it weekly. Lock Tite is the answer to many problems with guns and small screws in general.

And I agree......when cleaning one should inspect all the small screws every time.

Thanks for posting. I had the same problem, and have been meaning to put some lock tite on it.
Had I not noticed the screw backing out it might have fallen out completely and I would have never known what happened. Tiny, tiny screw.
Common enough problem I guess, others should be aware.

Back
Top Bottom