• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LCP

Is their a reason Ruger is not getting the Ruger LCP MA compliant. They did for the LCR and SR9c. Do you think they will if S&W gets their new .380 compliant? I would really like to get this gun at a normal price.

The LCR has a long heavy double action trigger so it already meets the 10lb requirement. The SR9c has a manual safety so it doesn't need to meet the 10lb requirement. They would have to cripple the trigger, or install a manual safety. They probably made a business decision that it wasn't worth spending the money to do so for what they could make by selling it in MA.

ETA: It also lacks a LCI.

The reason is most likely the cost involved in submitting a model which is MA compliant.

I paid about $430 NIB for mine which I know is well over what they retail for in a free state, but I didn't care as I also had an itch for one. They are a neat, reliable little gun and I'm glad I threw the cash down.

ETA: It also lacks a LCI.

Actually you can clearly see if there's a round in the chamber or not by looking at the rear of the ejection port, but by no means is it a 100% reliable loaded chamber indicator. If you had a really dark casing in there you could be fooled.

Actually you can clearly see if there's a round in the chamber or not by looking at the rear of the ejection port, but by no means is it a 100% reliable loaded chamber indicator. If you had a really dark casing in there you could be fooled.

Personally I don't care it it has one. However, the state of Massachusetts and California do.

Very tiny guns, much like very large guns, are scary.

Seriously though; I think the LCI is the problem. It does have one, but it is not very obvious.

I've seen a few LCP's listed in MA on gunbroker as MA compliant.

Selling for roughly 500.

No such thing exists. Perhaps they were ones that were already in Mass and were being transferred on a FA10.

Or an FFL that really doesnt care about or is ignorant to the MA regulations. Either way the burden of legal ramifications is on the FFL not the buyer.

No such thing exists. Perhaps they were ones that were already in Mass and were being transferred on a FA10.

Yeah, but if they list it like that on Gunbroker when someone does a search for "Mass. compliant" guns they'll come up.

Or an FFL that really doesnt care about or is ignorant to the MA regulations. Either way the burden of legal ramifications is on the FFL not the buyer.

Yeah, like The Gun Room.

WESTBORO- The owner of the Gun Room gun store in Shrewsbury was arraigned in Westboro District Court yesterday on charges he sold 10 handguns in 2002 that were not on the state's approved list.

John P. O'Leary, 58, who owns the Gun Room, at 276 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury, is charged with 10 counts of being a dealer in the sale of state-noncompliant firearms. He was released on personal recognizance and is scheduled for a pretrial hearing Oct. 19.

I got this response from ruger:

Dear Cmac308 ,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 05/18/2010
Request No: 62757

Comment / question:

Is there a timetable for when or if the LCP will be added to the approved firearms roster in Massachusetts?

Response:
Massachusetts has recognized the witness hole as a viable loaded chamber indicator. However, there are other requirements pursuant to the Massachusetts Attorney General’s regulations that the LCP may not satisfy. We may be able to modify the existing design to ensure compliance with the Massachusetts regulations and may in fact do so in the future. However, since we have introduced the model, the demand has been vigorous, our focus for the foreseeable future is on production of this model and not a Massachusetts variant.

If you should need any further assistance with your firearm please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

I got this response from ruger:

That response is similar to what a Ruger rep at the recent State Line Gun Shop open house stated, his version had a strong "no way in hell" vibe going on however. I'm very sure many MA residents asked him the exact same question that day they have a hot seller on their hands.

Best way to get one,check out Jim McKenna for AG, discussion can be found here

Last edited:
ZHA more than likely had a sticker on them though that said "LEO only". That's what I saw last time I was in there and they had them.

Back
Top Bottom