Ruger LCP II .22lr Report

I took the LCP II to the range last weekend and shot a couple of boxes of Velocitors. Not one hiccup of any kind.
Try Winchester Hyper Speed 40gr. It always gets 50 fps more from every gun I shoot it in over Velocitor.

Hiccups may or may not happen, some semis run Winchester fine, some hate it.

Good idea! I just ordered a two-pack of Ruger mags. I've been carrying it without any spares.
I bought 4 from ShopRuger.com when I got a 10% coupon from warranty registering it at Ruger.

If you haven't done so yet, consider going that route. At the time I found it the most cash-effective method of upping my mag count...
~Matt

Yep, Freightsale's the source.

This brings me up to 4 mags. I'm thinking I'll pick up another 500 rounds of Velocitor, just in case it gets difficult to acquire.

OK, this just came up in another thread.

In between the .22LR and the .380 ACP lies the .22WMR and even better, and exactly in the middle caliber-wise, the .30 "SC". This round has more power than the .380, but is skinnier.

Imagine getting an extra round, with more power than the existing .380, in a skinnier grip.

Yes, please.

OK, this just came up in another thread.

In between the .22LR and the .380 ACP lies the .22WMR and even better, and exactly in the middle caliber-wise, the .30 "SC". This round has more power than the .380, but is skinnier.

Imagine getting an extra round, with more power than the existing .380, in a skinnier grip.

Yes, please.
Imagine getting a brand-new round that's hard to find, probably extra expensive, only comes in a firearm from one brand, ammo from one brand, and going to slowly die off like the .40S&W. No, thanks!

Imagine getting a brand-new round that's hard to find, probably extra expensive, only comes in a firearm from one brand, ammo from one brand, and going to slowly die off like the .40S&W. No, thanks!
Yeah, like the .17 HMR? Or the 6.5 Creedmore died off? I haven't heard that the .40 S&W died.

This is Winchester ammo, with a S&W gun endorsement.
Not like it is that .22 TCM - Wikipedia cartridge! Just saw that one recently on here somewhere.

Last edited:
Yep, Freightsale's the source.

This brings me up to 4 mags. I'm thinking I'll pick up another 500 rounds of Velocitor, just in case it gets difficult to acquire.
Got my new LCP II .22 double-pack of mags in today. Very nice, very Happy. Thanks Beth.

Light primer strikes; for maintence, I’m using breakthrough battle oil lube and CLP. Anyone run into issues with their LCP II Lite like this recently?

I bought a backup Ruger LCP Lite, and had nothing but trouble with it. I bought the Galloway Precision Spring Kit for it and had a guy in NH who was recommended to me install it. It was worse than before, (I got a bad vibe from the guy who installed it, he didn't seem extremely capable to me). At that point I just wanted it gone: so I sold it to Kittery Trading Post. Let them deal with it. (Couldn't bring myself to sell it to an individual)

My original gun is still fine. From what I've read online it seems hit or miss whether you'll get a good gun or a dud.
I just shoot CCI Velocitors out of it.

When I first got mine (secondhand) it was dripping wet with lube. Ran well for a bit then was pretty unreliable despite cleaning and lubing, etc. Installed the Galloway precision kit and no issues since. I carry the velocitors, but it seems fine with other ammo as well. I wouldn't mind picking up a second one at some point.

It would be nice if they came out with an LCP III in .22, with the improved trigger and sights that the LCP Maxx got. Add .22 Mag to the mix as another model, and even better!

Last edited:
Might literally bring mine to Kittery, it's been to the factory twice and in between that time I did the Galloway kit as well I believe (would have to look back in this thread to verify). Nothing seems to take and I'm getting fed up with it.

I tooted Winchester Hyper Speed's horn, but recently I tried Aguila Interceptor round nose and that is the hottest .22 ammo I've ever shot, it's practically 40gr .22 Mag velocity out of a handgun.

Anyone having issues with their .22 pistols cycling should try this ammo and see if the extra power helps. Since it's round nose that should fees better than any hollow points.

Funny about all of the people having issues with high/hyper velocity ammo. Mine would only run reliably on low/standard velocity (1050fps - 1080fps) stuff. Hotter would cause the slide back, despite Ruger telling me it was designed to run better with hot ammo. Weird.

CCI Mini's: Good for three - five mags. Then...light primer strikes galore. Pain. Dread. Suffering. At this point, I'm going to see if I can ship it back to the factory, get a replacement, and then take her behind the proverbial shed and put her down (consignment as FS). There is 0% chance I pass this burden on to some unlucky bastard and I'm at the end of the line with this thing.

After 3 trips to the factory it hasn't been fixed, then that is time to move on. .22 LCP's seem to be hot or miss in their function, but most pocket .22 autos tend to be that way. When you get a good one, keep it, when you get a problem child, send it to the orphanage.

I believe Paul Harrell had issues with them so I havent tried them. Been very happy carrying with velocitors, which have been hard to find. I tried interceptors which are HOT but shot high and much larger groups.

Velocitors really do not perform very well out of the LCP II in gel. While the Federal Punch round is the top of the pack in penetration performance for short barreled .22s, the elongated case length of the Punch round and the way the LCP II was designed to feed and eject (especially the extractor position) prohibits it from reliably functioning with Punch.

I've found that the round that has been 100% reliable in my LCP II is the Aguila Interceptor, which performs superbly in gel. It's a fantastic .22 load. Like the Punch, it has noticeably more recoil and flash than other .22 rounds, but of course it's still essentially a no-recoil experience.

You can find a better firing pin on eBay - the Ruger pin will break on you. I use a mixture of Galloway precision and MCarbo parts as well.

Back
Top Bottom