• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LCP II .22lr Report

I replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring, and firing pin retainer and I was still getting light primer strikes. I think I might have to send this one back to Ruger because this is ridiculous to be quite frank.

I replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring, and firing pin retainer and I was still getting light primer strikes. I think I might have to send this one back to Ruger because this is ridiculous to be quite frank.
I have broken in my G17 advantage arms .22lr kit, have now plenty of ammo that cycles it well and very happy. Both kids shot it now, I got a cheap red dot on it as well - very happy, much better than any Ruger, for me. And I just switch G34 or this slides as it fits me. Convenient.

Attachments

• FF6E2258-3FA4-4C5F-BDD8-2D591C20542B.jpeg
    FF6E2258-3FA4-4C5F-BDD8-2D591C20542B.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 12
I have broken in my G17 advantage arms .22lr kit, have now plenty of ammo that cycles it well and very happy. Both kids shot it now, I got a cheap red dot on it as well - very happy, much better than any Ruger, for me. And I just switch G34 or this slides as it fits me. Convenient.
That sounds awesome. I'm sending the LCP in to Ruger next week.

I have a Walther P22 and a S&W Victory. The heavier, longer barrel Victory never fails. The P22 on the other hand is like that Ruger and has the following requirements:

1. NEVER limp wrist the thing. It with stovepipe or just leave the spent casing in the chamber
2. ALWAYS clean the gun after every use. Don't even bother trying to fire the gun after 100 rounds you are wasting your time
3. ALWAYS use 36 or 40 grain ammo, never sub sonic. I fire CCI Mini Mags if I can find them or Remington Golden Bullets. The Bucket O Bullets is a huge score for these little turds like the Walther or Ruger.

I love the little pain in the ass Walther. Why? Because its small and light and has some entertaining recoil forcing you to actually aim and practice trigger control vs. the S&W Victory which is on rails. If I'm firing at distances I fire my 9MM at you literally can't miss with the S&W Victory. My groupings are automatically < 1". The Walter is like a tiny little 9MM in terms of groupings at that distance which makes it... well like a tiny 9MM from a practice perspective. That's why I shoot the little turd. Cheap ammo. Fun practice gun where you aren't burning $.75 rounds. WALTHER_Laser1.jpg

I got that pistol a few months ago.

Out of the box, it only cycled 1200fps+ stuff like Aquila, CCI. Would also have issues with light primer strikes. The issue got worse when my wife tried to shoot it as I believe her reduced grip strength contributed to malfunctions, even with the good ammo. It also had extraction issues.

I purchased the Galloway precision upgrade kit for it.

This pretty much fix the major issues I had with it. The gun still requires decent ammo like CCI and Aquila. but both my wife and I can fire off full mags without malfunctions. The cheapo stuff still has issues with not cycling the slide and some litestrikes.

Another downside for this pistol is that mine atleast has failure to feed with solid lead .22 Ammo. The cci polymer coated and copper coated .22 ammo feeds fine, but I think that waxy coating on the lead rounds jams on the feed ramp. I might give it a polish later but I haven’t had time.

So over all I only run decent ammo in this gun. My wife enjoys shooting it and the trigger is great.

I have a Walther P22 and a S&W Victory. The heavier, longer barrel Victory never fails. The P22 on the other hand is like that Ruger and has the following requirements:

1. NEVER limp wrist the thing. It with stovepipe or just leave the spent casing in the chamber
2. ALWAYS clean the gun after every use. Don't even bother trying to fire the gun after 100 rounds you are wasting your time
3. ALWAYS use 36 or 40 grain ammo, never sub sonic. I fire CCI Mini Mags if I can find them or Remington Golden Bullets. The Bucket O Bullets is a huge score for these little turds like the Walther or Ruger.

I love the little pain in the ass Walther. Why? Because its small and light and has some entertaining recoil forcing you to actually aim and practice trigger control vs. the S&W Victory which is on rails. If I'm firing at distances I fire my 9MM at you literally can't miss with the S&W Victory. My groupings are automatically < 1". The Walter is like a tiny little 9MM in terms of groupings at that distance which makes it... well like a tiny 9MM from a practice perspective. That's why I shoot the little turd. Cheap ammo. Fun practice gun where you aren't burning $.75 rounds.View attachment 475528
My little turd HATES CCI mini-mags. The only thing it cycles unreliably is Winchester M22.

It hates Mini Mags? Too funny. 22LR is semi auto handguns - its like a cult. You have to love them. I keep it around for the reasons above but also its my "first time shooter" gun. My son was using it yesterday at the range. He was wondering why until I had him shoot my 9MM - S&W Compact. It was too much for him. I had to let him shoot my SIG X5 Legion to cope with the recoil. 22LR definitely has its place. The laser on it helps determine aim problems vs. flinch for new shooters. That has proven useful too.

I got that pistol a few months ago.

Out of the box, it only cycled 1200fps+ stuff like Aquila, CCI. Would also have issues with light primer strikes. The issue got worse when my wife tried to shoot it as I believe her reduced grip strength contributed to malfunctions, even with the good ammo. It also had extraction issues.

I purchased the Galloway precision upgrade kit for it.

This pretty much fix the major issues I had with it. The gun still requires decent ammo like CCI and Aquila. but both my wife and I can fire off full mags without malfunctions. The cheapo stuff still has issues with not cycling the slide and some litestrikes.

Another downside for this pistol is that mine atleast has failure to feed with solid lead .22 Ammo. The cci polymer coated and copper coated .22 ammo feeds fine, but I think that waxy coating on the lead rounds jams on the feed ramp. I might give it a polish later but I haven’t had time.

So over all I only run decent ammo in this gun. My wife enjoys shooting it and the trigger is great.
I just ordered this spring kit and I'm going to install it and give the LCP II Lite another chance. Really hoping it works out.

I just field stripped the LCP II and installed the Galloway Precision spring kit. I made a huge mistake and also removed the hammer catch/sear and spring so it was a painstaking process to install again. It took a few hours to get everything functioning correctly.

I just field stripped the LCP II and installed the Galloway Precision spring kit. I made a huge mistake and also removed the hammer catch/sear and spring so it was a painstaking process to install again. It took a few hours to get everything functioning correctly.
Kudos to you for doing it!
I started watching the video on their website and realized it was beyond me. I've done several Apex spring replacement on J-frames, but that's really easy.
Please let us know if it makes as much of a difference as they advertise.

Hope the spring upgrades work out! When I installed mine I lost rack of how many times I had to replay sections of that video. Good learning expirence as that was the first time I stripped a pistol down that much.

Kudos to you for doing it!
I started watching the video on their website and realized it was beyond me. I've done several Apex spring replacement on J-frames, but that's really easy.
Please let us know if it makes as much of a difference as they advertise.
Will do!

Hope the spring upgrades work out! When I installed mine I lost rack of how many times I had to replay sections of that video. Good learning expirence as that was the first time I stripped a pistol down that much.
Yes, I played a couple videos a few times to try to see what was going on in the frame. Its just such a small gun the pieces are easy to fumble around with and lose so that also played a factor in the total time spent on it, which ended up being around 4 hours. Definitely not a trivial mod.

Great news! Installing the spring kit fixed all of my problems using Aguila and CCI mini mags, but the Winchester M22 was still inducing many light primer strikes so I will no longer use that ammo in this pistol. I only had one failure to feed with the CCI mini mags, but I ran probably 200-300 rounds mixed CCI and Aguila with only that single error so I'm pretty satisfied with the modifications. Do I recommend installing the spring kit? Absolutely, but first test out your own LCP II lite because it may run completely fine without any issues.

Tried mine out today, Fed ammo OK. Had to get a friend to help me pull the trigger. Ordered some parts from Mcarbo and Galloway. We'll see how that works out.

I have one of the original .380’s and it’s a good gun. Yeah the trigger is long, but the size and weight make up for it. I never bothered worrying about accuracy beyond 15’ as that is the role of the gun. I prefer to ankle carry it as a back up, but it’s also great for smuggling into concerts and such. Never had it found on a pat down
When I'm going to concerts /games /anywhere they pat down, I always buy the cheapest tight "Speedo" I can find on Amazon and wear it.. then tuck a Sig P365 or a Ruger LC9s into the speedo.
If you're being "wanded" /metal detected etc etc you'd be surprised how many (all LOL) security guards ignore the 'beep' when they realize it's coming from your sack - and then don't bother to pat you in your prunes (cuz the guard says to themself "No way! They ain't paying me enough to do that!")
I entered Fenway with a Ruger LC9s in my 'sack' and when I beeped walking through the check, the dude just said "OK you're all set" 😉

Just sayin'

Do they make this in a .22 Magnum yet?
Now that I think of it, this would be a GREAT IDEA. If not the Ruger, the Walther. A nice, compact .22 Magnum would be a great gun for walking the dog at night. Something you can stuff in a pocket and not worry about. Polymer and stainless so you don't have to worry about rust. Maybe KelTec can make a compact version of their .22 Mag pistol.

I carry my lcp II lite with Velocitors when I walk the dog, or a S&W 638. I'd definitely buy a 22 mag version if they made it.
I have the j frame, smith, 22 mag. love this gun for woods walking. Good little snake gun. My brother nailed a good size coyote, with a 22, so I feel pretty good about the 22 mag, regarding coyote.

Last edited:
Twear it.. then tuck a Sig P365 or a Ruger LC9s into the speedo.
If you're being "wanded" /metal detected etc etc you'd be surprised how many (all LOL) security guards ignore the 'beep' when they realize it's coming from your sack - and then don't bother to pat you in your prunes (cuz the guard says to themself "No way! They ain't paying me enough to do that!")
I entered Fenway with a Ruger LC9s in my 'sack' and when I beeped walking through the check, the dude just said "OK you're all set" 😉

Just sayin'
They may just figure you have "****s" of steel". :D

After remembering this thread, and people talking about Ruger upgrades, I finally got around to emailing them about it. Seems like they missed my point - mine shoots ONLY the low/standard velocity loads well.
*********************************************************************************

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is

The LCPII in 22 LR was designed to function primarily with 40 grain, high velocity ammunition such as CCI Blazer. High velocity is categorized as having a published muzzle velocity between 1200 and 1300 feet per second. This does not mean that it will not function with other ammunition types.

If you continue to experience issues please contact customer service at 336-949-5200, option 6 and option 3 (Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST). Please provide the serial # to your firearm when contacting us.

Thank you for your interest in Ruger.

Ruger Customer Service will be closed September 5 in observance of the holiday.

Regular business hours for all Customer Service departments will resume on September 6. We will respond to emails and service repairs as quickly as possible upon reopening. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ruger Customer Service

Original request:
My LCPII in .22LR only reliably shoots "standard" velocity .22LR ammunition (avg. 1050fps). I've heard from other users of the .22LR version that they were able to obtain an upgraded spring set that allows the pistol to fire all variations of .22LR ammo (1050fps - 1200fps e.g. CCI and others). Is this the case? Thank you for any information you can provide.

My sister bought one of the LCP II,took her to the range with it and a box of Winchester M22 ammo I had on hand. Fired 50 or so rounds thru it 1 failure to fire hit that round twice still didn't fire. Mags were a bit tough to load. She paid $ 340 for hers on tax free weekend. I plan on taking her out again with some other brands of 22 ammo for function testing. All in all not a bad little pistol,too small for my hands though.

Back
Top Bottom