• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LC9S

Anybody know if any dealers in MA have the LC9S with the safety? Can't find one.

Thanks!

Good thread. I'm thinking about picking one of these up. They seemed to be a good gun, from a good manufacturer for a good price. I'll have to try to shoot one before I buy one though.

Anybody seen the pro model around (ie no stupid mag disconnect)?

if so i would be interested otherwise no point.

please dont tell me whats on "the list"...that is not my question

After watching Hickok45's review of it, I'm thinking this may be a good summer carry option for me. I was leaning toward the P938, but this seems like a cheaper alternative without being much bigger. I'd really want to compare them side by side though. I like the fact that it's striker fired. It has some nicely rounded contours that seem as though it would quite comfortable for any type of concealed carry.

Anybody seen the pro model around (ie no stupid mag disconnect)?

if so i would be interested otherwise no point.

please dont tell me whats on "the list"...that is not my question

I haven't seen the pro model anywhere yet. Mag disconnect is really easy to remove with plenty of instructions available to read/watch.

Is the only difference on the "Pro model" the absence of a mag disconnect? If so, that's not worth paying extra for, or searching one out as they are usually gut simple to remove.

Is the only difference on the "Pro model" the absence of a mag disconnect? If so, that's not worth paying extra for, or searching one out as they are usually gut simple to remove.

Its always worth paying for because if you have to send it back the bastards wont put that shit back in the gun. Those ****ing things make me livid. Also, by buying the shit version, economically you're voting for them to produce more shitty guns. If people stopped buying the crap version it would disappear.

I bought one last weekend. Not a pro model, a regular LC9S model. Did not go to bed that night before removing the mag disconnect. Don't mind the thumb safety but the disconnect had to go. It took some doing to get it out the first time and if I were to do it again a second time I could get it out inside ten minutes going slow. I wouldn't spend extra or wait to find a pro model after seeing how easy it is to remove. Also, Galloway has some aftermarket stuff in the works for people who like to mod their pistols. I have not shot mine yet but it feels good in the hand and trigger is nice as it sits. Need range time before carry though.

My understanding is the only differences between regular and pro are the mag disconnect and the external safety. Otherwise the same. I have the regular LC9s BTW and really like it.

I bought one last weekend. Not a pro model, a regular LC9S model. Did not go to bed that night before removing the mag disconnect. Don't mind the thumb safety but the disconnect had to go. It took some doing to get it out the first time and if I were to do it again a second time I could get it out inside ten minutes going slow. I wouldn't spend extra or wait to find a pro model after seeing how easy it is to remove. Also, Galloway has some aftermarket stuff in the works for people who like to mod their pistols. I have not shot mine yet but it feels good in the hand and trigger is nice as it sits. Need range time before carry though.

So what is with the hatred for the mag disconnect? Wont you be firing it with a mag in it? I dont get what the big deal is but Im not a huge pistol guy. I have a few and have put a trigger kit in one myself but thats the extent of my pistol knowledge.

Mag disconnect doesn't allow pistol to fire without mag. So, in the remote instance you changing out a mag in a gunfight or lose your mag altogether the pistol is nothing more then a paperweight. Without mag and NO mag disconnect you have a one shooter. Without mag and a mag disconnect you have a paperweight. That's what I came up with anyhow.

Last edited:
I bought my LC9s at 4-Seasons a week ago. I wanted a single stack 9mm vs a lower power 380. I saw the reviews on the LC9 and LC9s some time ago and jumped when the LC9s became available in MA. I had the choice for the Pro but opted for the one with the thumb safety. I'll remove the mag safety when I get a few minutes. I took it to the range last weekend and it shoots better than I expected for such a small gun. I don't see a need to change the trigger at this time. My only compliant is the thin grip which was easy to remedy with the Talon grip kit which doesn't add too much bulk but adds a little more hand grip area. Makes a nice pocket carry when combined with a Desantis pocket holster.

Mag disconnect doesn't allow pistol to fire without mag. So, in the remote instance you changing out a mag in a gunfight or lose your mag altogether the pistol is nothing more then a paperweight. Without mag and NO mag disconnect you have a one shooter. Without mag and a mag disconnect you have a paperweight. That's what I came up with anyhow.
You summed it upped and this is one of those ghey things that people get really overly emotionally overwrought about, almost to the point of physical violence.

Massad Ayoob who makes his living as a trainer, writer and expert witness has documented cases where LEOs using pistols with mag safeties have made their pistols inop during gun grabs by bad guys in a weapon retention fight. He has never found a case where you describe. Of course if you accidentally did drop your mag during a gunfight, I don't understand why you wouldn't have an extra mag, but that's been beat to death too. The only thing I do know is that claims have been made that mag safeties have have saved lives in weapon retention situations.

Now you have two choices: don't buy a gun that has one or deactivate the safety. Some including Ayoob say that might open up a new can of worms in court deactivating a safety device. I don't think it has ever come up in the real world.

Ayoob has his detractors but love him or hate him he has trained and influenced thousands of LE and armed citizens. Big ego, but he frequently prevails in court when he's the expert witness and understands the system. Take it or leave it. I'm sort of in the middle. If I open carried I could see an advantage especially if I didn't have a good retention holster, something that's frequently overlooked in OC discussions. If I was a cop I'd most definitely see a tactical advantage. YMMV

Last edited:
You summed it upped and this is one of those ghey things that people get really overly emotionally overwrought about, almost to the point of physical violence.

Massad Ayoob who makes his living as a trainer, writer and expert witness has documented cases where LEOs using pistols with mag safeties have made their pistols inop during gun grabs by bad guys in a weapon retention fight. He has never found a case where you describe. Of course if you accidentally did drop your mag during a gunfight, I don't understand why you wouldn't have an extra mag, but that's been beat to death too. The only thing I do know is that claims have been made that mag safeties have have saved lives in weapon retention situations.

Now you have two choices: don't buy a gun that has one or deactivate the safety. Some including Ayoob say that might open up a new can of worms in court deactivating a safety device. I don't think it has ever come up in the real world.

Ayoob has his detractors but love him or hate him he has trained and influenced thousands of LE and armed citizens. Big ego, but he frequently prevails in court when he's the expert witness and understands the system. Take it or leave it. I'm sort of in the middle. If I open carried I could see an advantage especially if I didn't have a good retention holster, something that's frequently overlooked in OC discussions. If I was a cop I'd most definitely see a tactical advantage. YMMV

Good point

Bought one last night at The Sportsmen's Den. Shot 50 rounds today and love the overall gun except one common flaw. The made in USA magazines have some issues staying in while the made in Italy magazines seem to be fine. Twice the mag became unseated and as described previously, gun couldn't shoot. Thus my searches continue for Italian made magazines...

Back
Top Bottom