• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LC9S

Has anyone heard if the Ruger LC9S is ever going to be MA approved? Ruger won't tell me anything and the dealers say that Ruger won't tell thm anything either. Surely someone has to know. What's the big secret for goodness sake???

I think I've seen a review on it on here already. Not sure if they were from MA or NH though. It has the external safety and there is a magazine disconnect so I don't see why it wouldn't be approved? The lc9s pro probably wouldn't because it lacks the 2 features above? I'm interested in it as a pocket gun.

This is what stinks about MA. I agree on the external safety and mag disconnect. So what's the big hold up? Could it be the trigger pull lbs. or doesn't that matter?

I honestly haven't read any reviews on the LC9S. Any word on if the trigger pull is better than the original LC9? The LC9 I have experience with might have the worst trigger pull I've ever experienced....L-O-N-G and heavy.

FWIW I overheard a LGS owner say he had a contact at ruger who told him that it will be submitted for MA approval. But that could be complete BS

Trigger pull is MUCH better than the LC9. That is one of the reasons that I would like to get one.

Has anyone heard if the Ruger LC9S is ever going to be MA approved? Ruger won't tell me anything and the dealers say that Ruger won't tell thm anything either. Surely someone has to know. What's the big secret for goodness sake???
If you get the "Pro" version, you won't have to bother with removing the magazine disconnect safety or the thumb safety.

The LC9S is on the new updated MA roster (01/2015) so you should be able to get one. The Pro version is not. Dealers I called didn't even know the roster was updated so they had to check and once they did verified they could order this model from Ruger now. Good luck.

Hmmm, slim, light 9mm, striker fired, with a light clean pull. S&W M&P Shield. As usual, Ruger waits to catch up. (or, a Walther PPS, except without that horrible, hand-shredding "grenade checkering".) Aren't shields on the MA roster, and probably about the same price as a the LC9s?

Before you can puchase one in MA, it still has to pass the MA Attoney General's test/approval. This is what sucks in the state of MA. Why have MA Approved Firearms Roster that a gun makes it on and then can't purchase it until it makes the AG's list??? And no where can one find the AG's list.

Before you can puchase one in MA, it still has to pass the MA Attoney General's test/approval. This is what sucks in the state of MA. Why have MA Approved Firearms Roster that a gun makes it on and then can't purchase it until it makes the AG's list??? And no where can one find the AG's list.
As soon as a gun is on the EOPS list, it can be sold in MA until the AG says it can't be. For practical purposes, the AG list is a list of guns that can't be transferred by FFL, not a list of ones that can be, since the AG won't release a list of approved guns.

Hey joshk1025...call Four Seasons in Woburn or R&R Sport Shop in Belchertown and see what they tell you. I have called both and it's a fact. The LC9S cannot yet be sold in MA by a dealer until it makes the AG approval.

Hey joshk1025...call Four Seasons in Woburn or R&R Sport Shop in Belchertown and see what they tell you. I have called both and it's a fact. The LC9S cannot yet be sold in MA by a dealer until it makes the AG approval.
They can say what they like. The fact of the matter is that the AG refuses to approve guns. Gun manufacturers self certify compliance with AG regs, and sellers take a risk by selling them. The AG only announces the compliance status of handguns by sending cease and desist letters.

This is what was sent to me by a MA dealer:

section140 create the "big" list; the Approved Firearms Roster. Notethat in Mass, "firearms" = handguns

section 940 contains consumer product safety rules and the AG decided to applysuch rules after the section 140 rules went into effect, creating a dualstandard. The big list continues to exist and gets updated periodicallyas that section of the law continues to be in effect.

The AG regs under 940 thus creates a dual standard; guns complying under 140subsequently must comply with and be approved under section 940.

you can possess various guns under 140, but we as a retailer can onlysell you guns compliant under both sections.

The AG list is seemingly impossible to find; I have never seen it. Wesell guns that our wholesalers or manufacturers state have been approved under940. E.g. see Ruger's website as they have a page dedicated to Masscompliant firearms.

This is what was sent to me by a MA dealer:

section140 create the "big" list; the Approved Firearms Roster. Notethat in Mass, "firearms" = handguns

section 940 contains consumer product safety rules and the AG decided to applysuch rules after the section 140 rules went into effect, creating a dualstandard. The big list continues to exist and gets updated periodicallyas that section of the law continues to be in effect.

The AG regs under 940 thus creates a dual standard; guns complying under 140subsequently must comply with and be approved under section 940.

you can possess various guns under 140, but we as a retailer can onlysell you guns compliant under both sections.

The AG list is seemingly impossible to find; I have never seen it. Wesell guns that our wholesalers or manufacturers state have been approved under940. E.g. see Ruger's website as they have a page dedicated to Masscompliant firearms.

That's exactly what I said - the manufacturer self-certifies compliance, the AG is never going to say that a gun is compliant.

I have checked Ruger's website and the LC9S reads....MA Approved and Certified: No Yet it is on the MA Approved Firearms Roster. So the Roster is useless...that's my point. Where does the hangup lie?

I have checked Ruger's website and the LC9S reads....MA Approved and Certified: No Yet it is on the MA Approved Firearms Roster. So the Roster is useless...that's my point. Where does the hangup lie?

There are two possibilities. One is that Ruger hasn't yet updated their website to reflect the recently released EOPS list (the LC9S is only on the latest list released this month). The other is that Ruger doesn't believe (for whatever reason) that the AG would allow the sale of the LC9S, possibly because the trigger pull is too low or something of that nature.

Back
Top Bottom