• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

So I'm assuming it will drastically undercut the FN model in base price. However, I have to question how much of an impact that will have overall if the rounds are still like $0.40 on the cheaper end for FMJ. It's not like this exotic caliber is courting the budget conscious.

Choices are good though I guess. Better to have them than not.

Interesting, as many (all?) 22lr suppressors will also work with 5.7 ammo...if there's a threaded barrel available, might be fun (but not very quiet still, most likely). Still not that interested probably.

The American series is already a dog that no one wants and they could be making money introducing a SR 2.0 series to compete with S&W's M&P line, but instead they do this.

W-T-F?

This is as mind boggling as not making minor improvements to the Mini-14 line for ban happy states or offering a PC carbine like chassis for free states.

It's like they have one group of competent designers which also appreciates aesthetics that alternates shifts with a team that failed Kel-Tech somehow by cribbing Tapco garbage with a Crayolas and was banished to Ruger.

I think if it is less than half the price the FN runs for I would be interested...

Given it's a ruger I can't imagine that selling for much more than 600 bucks. The FN FiveSeven and the USG used to be a lot cheaper than they are now (I remember those guns being like 800 bucks) I think once they figured out there was a cult following they just kept cranking the prices up and it didn't affect sales much... so the extra profit was just pocketed.

About the only "good" thing that I can see this thing doing, is it will drive down the price on a FiveSeven. So those that more easily want one, can just buy it.

-Mike

Smart move, a seriously underserved, if small niche. How many people look at the FN and immediately ask the salesman, "$1350 for this?"

It's also a higher-end competitor for the PMR-30, which is a very cool little pistol but not especially accurate, and also doesn't feel well-made.

I like the Ruger American pistol very much. We have one and I would not object to having another, so if someone really thinks it's a POS, I have a small amount of money available.

I would have loved to see the results of that focus group.

"No. I think what we need is a competitor to the FN 5.7! We need more choices in the ever-expanding 5.7x28mm market..."

What's next? An LCP .30 Luger?

Well they just released a .22lr lcp so maybe.

Hopefully, for their sake, they did this in a 9mm or 45ACP. There‘s no need for some of these esoteric/exotic calibers for Ruger to e getting in to. FN, Sig, others, go for it, but Ruger needs volume sales at this point without sacrificing quality.

I think the 57 makes some sense. It literally only has one competitor and they undercut them by half a grand. That guarantees a lot of sales, although dunno if the market is big enough to support making the gun. The LCP .22 makes less sense to me. You don't want to carry a .22 defensively, the LCP is too small to be a fun plinker, and I'd want to train using the same ammo I'm carrying. But I guess there's going after the market Taurus and Beretta are selling guns in so more power to them.

i've wanted to play with one for a while since a guy in work a few years ago was talking about it. at the time i'd never heard of it before. but shit, the price tag of the fn was out of my range for really....a frivolous purchase. it's a niche market for sure but if it comes in at half of the fn price i'm in.

I have to question how much of an impact that will have overall if the rounds are still like $0.40 on the cheaper end for FMJ. It's not like this exotic caliber is courting the budget conscious.
This. Even reloading it is a PITA from what I hear. So you're basically stuck paying 40 cents per round.

i've wanted to play with one for a while since a guy in work a few years ago was talking about it. at the time i'd never heard of it before. but shit, the price tag of the fn was out of my range for really....a frivolous purchase. it's a niche market for sure but if it comes in at half of the fn price i'm in.

Those guns used to be $800. FN probably jacked the price because they figured out that if someone can afford the ammo, the price of the gun doesn't really matter much.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom