• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

BMW and quality don't belong in the same sentence without including "the lack thereof",

People I know who own BMWs love them. The only complaint is how much it costs for maintenance. I spoke with someone last week whose 3-series is going on 10 years.

You must have had a bad experience, I'd like to hear some of your horror stories. Was it as bad as the person who posted recently about buying a Chevy or GMC product that was obviously in a crash of some sort?

I’m still trying to figure out why I want a 5.7, let alone a Ruger one. Let alone a Ruger one with a 10rd mag.
I will take symptoms of CTE for a thousand Alex.
People I know who own BMWs love them. The only complaint is how much it costs for maintenance. I spoke with someone last week whose 3-series is going on 10 years.

Meh. If you find an independent shop that specializes in german cars, it's really not that bad. My son is driving my wife's 08 - 530. It is still sweet and still really shovels

Yep‘m - are these in stock yet? Maybe even in NH?
Yes, Stateline in Plaistow had one available Sat... they are selling like hotcakes because it makes the FN product look like overpriced dogmeat, at least from a layperson perspective.

ammo has been pretty scarce. Hopefully once this panic buy is done, another ammo manufacturer will help pick up the slack. I have no issue paying $20-24 a box. Once it gets close to 30 i may have to rethink selling what i got.

I don’t know why I want one, but I do. I really don’t need another cal to worry about though.
Look at the cost off ammo before you buy. It can be tough to track down before all this BS started, let alone now.
My friend has the FN version, he bought it used with a decent stock of ammo, just because.

I know one gun shop that keeps a few of the FN version under the counter, in case someone tries to rob the place, they assume he would have armor.

Yep‘m - are these in stock yet? Maybe even in NH?

They are available online - not at the $600 you might have found one for before the buying craze, more like $750, and at that price they seem to sit around for awhile.

I want one but there are a couple other guns I want more, maybe when/if prices drop.

I can see it. I can see them also offering a 10/22 in 5.7 and maybe a bolt action.
I'd like to see them bring back the 10/22 Magnum first. Then a 10/17 in WSM.

I think a 17 Fireball would be a LOT hotter than a 5.7.

There you go.

Yes, Stateline in Plaistow had one available Sat... they are selling like hotcakes because it makes the FN product look like overpriced dogmeat, at least from a layperson perspective.
Reality starting to settle in?

Actual reality: they are all dogmeat.

The 5.7 is the most overhyped and under-needed round since the .40 S&W.

Reality starting to settle in?

Actual reality: they are all dogmeat.

The 5.7 is the most overhyped and under-needed round since the .40 S&W.

I agree its a dumb caliber, just commenting on the general build quality of the guns.

-Mike

Page 22 of the Ruger 57 instruction manual appears to indicate the pistol is not drop safe and that it should not be carried with a round chambered. It’s not normal Ruger lawyer-speak; it’s more pathetic than usual for them. Enough for me to straight up avoid the pistol.

Nobody with a brain is going to use this as a carry gun, so what difference does it make? [laugh] Let's face facts, this thing, and the FN FiveSeven, are
pretty much range toys for people looking to set cash on fire.

-Mike

I certainly don’t “need” one 😉 But if I *had* to find a reason to need one, of all the rounds fired into and out of a car windshield at SIG’s Bullets & Vehicles course, the 57 was POA = POI. All the other pistol rounds deflected markedly.

”Hon, I’m going out to shoot at cars - where’s the 57?”
”I don’t know where it is, where did you leave it?”
”OK, found it!”

I know one gun shop that keeps a few of the FN version under the counter, in case someone tries to rob the place, they assume he would have armor.
I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that a gun store would believe the press hype. Maybe, if they had the actual SS190 ammo, fired from a pistol it might penetrate soft body armor. The commonly-available SS195 or SS197 won't penetrate armor when fired from a pistol, and won't reliably penetrate when fired from a 16" carbine. Better off to say "shoot him in the face."

Nobody with a brain is going to use this as a carry gun, so what difference does it make? [laugh] Let's face facts, this thing, and the FN FiveSeven, are

-Mike

I'm pretty confident that we'll see, or other forums will see, threads about giving one of these to an arthritic older person, likely a woman, as a self-defense handgun. Like the threads asking if .22WMR or .22LR handguns are good defensive tools. Or people who think that they can't handle the recoil of a 9x19. Or people who really like handguns with a lot of velocity, like the 7.62x25 fans (I was one) who want something that's very fast with a small bullet because you never know when you need to shoot a K-pot.

Behold:

Which is the better NAA revolver to carry?

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that a gun store would believe the press hype. Maybe, if they had the actual SS190 ammo, fired from a pistol it might penetrate soft body armor. The commonly-available SS195 or SS197 won't penetrate armor when fired from a pistol, and won't reliably penetrate when fired from a 16" carbine. Better off to say "shoot him in the face."

Oh they had SS190. Also 12guage shotguns loaded with slugs.

I'm pretty confident that we'll see, or other forums will see, threads about giving one of these to an arthritic older person, likely a woman, as a self-defense handgun. Like the threads asking if .22WMR or .22LR handguns are good defensive tools.
If you had hands crippled by Rheumatoid Arthritis for 50 years of your life, you might just understand the appeal of this cartridge. That being said, both the Ruger and the FN are too large and heavy for old, arthritic hands and arms and a missing elbow. So, for now, she uses a .22LR Ruger Lite.

-Mike
I wouldn't say that, the 5.7 is a very low recoil, flat shooting handgun round that offers some potential to defeat soft body armor. For people in AWB shitholes it's pointless to own over something like, say, a Tokarev or one of the .22 TCM 1911's from Rock Island. Even if you could have mags over 10 rounds, I'm not sure that 5.7 is better than .22 TCM or 7.62x25. The .22 TCM is fugging fast, 2000 fps with a 40 grain bullet in a 5 inch barrel and 7.62x25 is no slouch either, but it's pushing an 85 grain bullet at 1500 fps. 5.7 is very dependent on what ammo you're shooting and the cheap Federal ammo is garbage.

I don't think 5.7 is a caliber worth buying right now tho, it needs time to get a foothold in the market and $700 pistols are going to help do that. Over time, as the price for ammo drops and variety improves, it will be worth considering.

I'm pretty confident that we'll see, or other forums will see, threads about giving one of these to an arthritic older person, likely a woman, as a self-defense handgun. Like the threads asking if .22WMR or .22LR handguns are good defensive tools. Or people who think that they can't handle the recoil of a 9x19. Or people who really like handguns with a lot of velocity, like the 7.62x25 fans (I was one) who want something that's very fast with a small bullet because you never know when you need to shoot a K-pot.

Behold:

Which is the better NAA revolver to carry?

That PSM and the 5.45x18 is something I wish was available here. The gun is tiny, but the ammo punches way above its weight class and it is proven to go through several layers of kevlar.

I wouldn't say that, the 5.7 is a very low recoil, flat shooting handgun round that offers some potential to defeat soft body armor. For people in AWB shitholes it's pointless to own over something like, say, a Tokarev or one of the .22 TCM 1911's from Rock Island. Even if you could have mags over 10 rounds, I'm not sure that 5.7 is better than .22 TCM or 7.62x25. The .22 TCM is fugging fast, 2000 fps with a 40 grain bullet in a 5 inch barrel and 7.62x25 is no slouch either, but it's pushing an 85 grain bullet at 1500 fps. 5.7 is very dependent on what ammo you're shooting and the cheap Federal ammo is garbage.

I don't think 5.7 is a caliber worth buying right now tho, it needs time to get a foothold in the market and $700 pistols are going to help do that. Over time, as the price for ammo drops and variety improves, it will be worth considering.

In an AWB state I'd be looking at 10mm models like a Glock 29, best bang for the size and max legal capacity.

Which means that it won't be available for civilian purchase.
It's not marketed as AP ammo tho and just because a pistol can fire ammo that can penetrate a soft vest doesn't mean that pistol can't be sold. Look at all the AR pistols out there, those things can defeat lvl 3 armor with a 4 inch barrel.

I'd like to see them bring back the 10/22 Magnum first. Then a 10/17 in WSM.

I think a 17 Fireball would be a LOT hotter than a 5.7.

There you go.

Those guns are all answers to questions nobody asked, although a 10/22 wmr wouldn't be too retarded. Henry still makes gbs in 22 wmr so it's still relevant.

[/QUOTE]

Lol, it's still basically a novelty gun/caliber. Time to get a foothold? It's existed since the 90s and the FiveSeven sold for under 800 bucks in 2004. It's never going to "get a foothold". Those guns were even cheaper at one point having a dealer cost of 400 or so. The mag capacity thing is a distraction, the cartridge still sucks whether you have 21 of them or 11. Is it fun to shoot? Sure. Big bang, low recoil. But it pretty much ends there. 22tcm or 7.62 Tok are dead ends too. Although at least with the 7.62x25 there's a bunch of milsurps that shoot it. Also Pro tip: if you think that 5.7 ammo is going to drop in price you're smoking some serious crack.... It's a bottleneck cartridge with relatively
flat sales and has always been expensive ever since it was introduced. It's not like the manufacturers are making a glut of the stuff.

Lol, it's still basically a novelty gun/caliber. Time to get a foothold? It's existed since the 90s and the FiveSeven sold for under 800 bucks in 2004. It's never going to "get a foothold". Those guns were even cheaper at one point having a dealer cost of 400 or so. The mag capacity thing is a distraction, the cartridge still sucks whether you have 21 of them or 11. Is it fun to shoot? Sure. Big bang, low recoil. But it pretty much ends there. 22tcm or 7.62 Tok are dead ends too. Although at least with the 7.62x25 there's a bunch of milsurps that shoot it. Also Pro tip: if you think that 5.7 ammo is going to drop in price you're smoking some serious crack.... It's a bottleneck cartridge with relatively
flat sales and has always been expensive ever since it was introduced. It's not like the manufacturers are making a glut of the stuff.
Agreed. Even .357Sig is fading.

Back
Top Bottom