• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger introduces their take on the FN Five-Seven

At SIG's Bullets and Vehicles class this past year, the FN Five-seveN was the only pistol/round (of 9mm, 40cal, 45cal, 357sig) that shot through a car's front window and hit POA/POI. Not in itself a reason to buy a 57 but just tidbit of fact :)

Way back when I carried a Sig229 in 357Sig I had myself convinced that it shot POA/POI through a windshield. I feel like this was gun store lore but I believed it. I was such a purist, I used to compete in IDPA with that pistol since that’s what I carried. Man did my scores improve when I switched to the 226 in 9. Thanks for the tidbit!

Ballistics by the inch is the best source for information about the effect of barrel length on ballistics. Here is their page on .22 magnum.

Short summary. The effect of barrel length on velocity is dependent on the cartridge and the specific load. .22 magnum is a cartridge that is very dependent on barrel length. From a 4" barrel, .22 magnum performance is similar to .22 long rifle from a rifle barrel. From a 2" barrel, .22 magnum rounds under perform compared to a .22 rifle. From a 6" barrel, .22 magnum improves significantly. For most .22 magnum rounds, the velocity increases 600-700 feet per second when going from a 4" barrel to a 19" barrel. But for some rounds, the velocity increase approaches 1000 fps.

Last edited:
At SIG's Bullets and Vehicles class this past year, the FN Five-seveN was the only pistol/round (of 9mm, 40cal, 45cal, 357sig) that shot through a car's front window and hit POA/POI. Not in itself a reason to buy a 57 but just tidbit of fact :)
I notice they don't list the .357 Magnum.

I notice they don't list the .357 Magnum.
We didn't have anyone in the class shooting a 357mag (like a Desert Eagle). We shot at a target placed at the front bumper from the driver's seat and also from the front bumper to a target placed in the passenger seat. Deflection required all but the 57 to POA quite low - a COM POA would more often miss or go over the head from inside the car.

Plugs & muffs recommended if you decide to try this at home. We don't have Auto Glass insurance here in NH but you guys in MA can give it a try for free I hear [laugh]

Ballistics by the inch is the best source for information about the effect of barrel length on ballistics. Here is their page on .22 magnum.

Short summary. The effect of barrel length on velocity is dependent on the cartridge and the specific load. .22 magnum is a cartridge that is very dependent on barrel length. From a 4" barrel, .22 magnum performance is similar to .22 long rifle from a rifle barrel. From a 2" barrel, .22 magnum rounds under perform compared to a .22 rifle. From a 6" barrel, .22 magnum improves significantly. For most .22 magnum rounds, the velocity increases 600-700 feet per second when going from a 4" barrel to a 19" barrel. But for some rounds, the velocity increase approaches 1000 fps.
Thanks; I had the page open in another window and planned to post it.

In a .22, including WMR, any barrel length over 18" is just for sight radius. The powder is fully burned and velocity starts dropping.

Reserve yours now, just $679:

Ruger-57 Pistol 16401 Black 5.7 x 28mm 4.94in. 20+1

Reviews| Questions & Answers
Model: 16401

Condition: Factory New

Bud's Item Number: 120912

UPC: 736676164011

MFG: Ruger
*Please Note!! Many of our pictures are stock photos provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order.

The all new Ruger-57™ is just plain cool. Brought to you by the company that revolutionized the innovation of rugged, reliable firearms that the average American can afford, the Ruger-57™ is our most cutting-edge platform yet. Chambered in the high performance and low-recoiling 5.7x28mm caliber, this ergonomic, smooth shooting and accurate pistol is as full-featured as they come.
  • Impressive ergonomics include an easy trigger reach, 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety, robust slide release and reversible magazine release latch.
  • Through hardened, billet steel slide with lightening cuts is drilled and tapped for easy mounting of optics with separately available optic adapter plate.
  • Windage and elevation adjustable, serrated rear sight and rapid acquisition fiber optic front sight for fast, accurate shooting.
  • The alloy steel barrel features a black nitride treatment for wear resistance.
  • Steel magazine provides double stack capacity without unnecessary bulk.
  • Textured, ergonomic frame provides a secure and comfortable grip.
  • The Secure Action™ fire control combines Ruger's reliable and proven internal hammer with a short, crisp trigger pull and a positive reset.
  • Safe, easy takedown with no tools or trigger pull required.
  • Inspection port allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.
  • Picatinny-style accessory rail for easy mounting of lights and lasers.
  • Magazine drops free on release for convenient reloading.
  • Also includes: two steel magazines.

• Model: 16401
  • Action: Single Action Hammer-Fired
  • Capacity: 20+1
  • Grip Frame: High-Performance Glass-Filled Nylon
  • Barrel Length: 4.94″
  • Overall Length: 8.65″
  • Barrel Material: Alloy Steel
  • Barrel Finish: Black Nitride
  • Slide Material: Alloy Steel
  • Slide Finish: Black Oxide
  • Twist Rate: 1:9″ RH
  • Weight: 24.5 oz
  • Sights: Fiber Optic Front, Adjustable Rear

Strange considering that .357 Sig used to be considered really good for this.... that was kind of the whole point- intermediate barrier penetration without POI shift. Course I kinda doubt they
were testing like all bullet designs etc. To be "fair" you would have had to use bonded core JHPs for comparison in each caliber. If it was just ball ammo I'm not exactly surprised at the
results of the test.

-Mike

Way back when I carried a Sig229 in 357Sig I had myself convinced that it shot POA/POI through a windshield. I feel like this was gun store lore but I believed it. I was such a purist, I used to compete in IDPA with that pistol since that’s what I carried. Man did my scores improve when I switched to the 226 in 9. Thanks for the tidbit!

Without knowing what they actually used as test ammunition you don't know whether it's true or not... just sayin. [laugh]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neOJdj1jVPc

-Mike

Strange considering that .357 Sig used to be considered really good for this.... that was kind of the whole point- intermediate barrier penetration without POI shift. Course I kinda doubt they
were testing like all bullet designs etc. To be "fair" you would have had to use bonded core JHPs for comparison in each caliber. If it was just ball ammo I'm not exactly surprised at the
results of the test.

-Mike

I watched a mag of 357 sig punch through almost all of the car at the bullets on vehicles demo I attended. We didn't test 22WM tho.

I watched a mag of 357 sig punch through almost all of the car at the bullets on vehicles demo I attended. We didn't test 22WM tho.
Two FEMA officers at B&V were using 37sig to great effect. They had "War Wagons" with locking drawer systems in their hatchbacks and cases of government JHP ammo, but I don't recall if bonded jacket on not.

Yeah, the engine block and middle roof columns were about the only car segments that blocked rounds from most firearms used. Better than nothing but not much cover.

Thanks; I had the page open in another window and planned to post it.

In a .22, including WMR, any barrel length over 18" is just for sight radius. The powder is fully burned and velocity starts dropping.

You'd think they'd make some with slower powder for these exact purposes, to get the max fps out of a long barrel.

results of the test.

The .357 Magnum should be the baseline standard all others are tested against.

Two FEMA officers at B&V were using 37sig to great effect. They had "War Wagons" with locking drawer systems in their hatchbacks and cases of government JHP ammo, but I don't recall if bonded jacket on not.

Yeah, the engine block and middle roof columns were about the only car segments that blocked rounds from most firearms used. Better than nothing but not much cover.
B&V?

You know, maybe it is time for another NES car shoot. Before opening up to "general participation", they could do some "learning tests" to see what's what.

;-)

Stopped by Manchester Firing Line yesterday. I've shot 5.7 before, from an FN when out of state. Did the "$5 for 5 shots" just to try it in the Ruger. Nice trigger. Whole gun felt much better (more solid) than the FN.

Stopped by Manchester Firing Line yesterday. I've shot 5.7 before, from an FN when out of state. Did the "$5 for 5 shots" just to try it in the Ruger. Nice trigger. Whole gun felt much better (more solid) than the FN.

Ah - they've got a Ruger57 for rent? Might have to check it out!

Ah - they've got a Ruger57 for rent? Might have to check it out!
Saturday and Sunday Shooters Outpost left a Ruger LCPII .22LR and a Ruger 57 at the range to try out. $5 for 5 shots - or $10 for both. From the sounds of it, they were going to take them back after the weekend, but you could call MFL and find out for sure.

10:10 AM

I mentioned trying out the Ruger 57 that Shooters brought over the weekend for trials. Others have asked if you will be keeping this pistol for them to rent and try out. Thanks!

I have the guns from shooters for the rest of the week, I plan on giving them back on Friday. I will have both guns as rentals as soon as they become available to me. I am expecting to have them within a couple of weeks. Thank you!

shooters guns are still available for $5 for 5 rounds till they are gone.

Chat Conversation End

Type a message...

10:10 AM

I mentioned trying out the Ruger 57 that Shooters brought over the weekend for trials. Others have asked if you will be keeping this pistol for them to rent and try out. Thanks!

I have the guns from shooters for the rest of the week, I plan on giving them back on Friday. I will have both guns as rentals as soon as they become available to me. I am expecting to have them within a couple of weeks. Thank you!

shooters guns are still available for $5 for 5 rounds till they are gone.
Doh! I was there Friday and didn’t ask! Just tuning the red dot and laser on my Ruger 22/45 Mark IV Tactical with the Q Erector suppressor. The sound of the lead hitting that backstop was louder than the bang.

1200px-5.7mm_Johnson_Spitfire.jpg

There are those who will always opt for the cheap Chinese-like imitations. IMHO, the FN 5.7 will always be the gold standard and price point won't be affected all that much. A BMW is is still pricey even though you can get other cars for much less. You pay for the quality and the name. That's capitalism at work

Smart move, a seriously underserved, if small niche. How many people look at the FN and immediately ask the salesman, "$1350 for this?"

It's also a higher-end competitor for the PMR-30, which is a very cool little pistol but not especially accurate, and also doesn't feel well-made.

I like the Ruger American pistol very much. We have one and I would not object to having another, so if someone really thinks it's a POS, I have a small amount of money available.

I have a compact model with one box through it, I do not think it is a POS I just need cash.

Back
Top Bottom