• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Introduces the GP100 in .22 LR

http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-12-09.html

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is proud to introduce the new Ruger® GP100® chambered in .22 LR. This ten-round revolver offers an array of features designed for target shooting, small game hunting and recreational shooting.

Featuring a 5.50" half-lug barrel for improved handling and lighter weight, the Ruger GP100 in .22 LR is both durable and reliable. This new GP100 has an improved fire control system that uses a lighter mainspring than previous Ruger double-action .22 LR revolvers.

1757.jpg

That looks suspiciously like my next gun purchase...

My SP101 in .22 sucks.
My GP100 in .357/.38 is awesome.
If this has a trigger action anything like my GP100, I'm buying one.

And then I can say - "No, honey I don't already have one of these, that's a S&W 617 - they're TOTALLY different..."

I have been wondering if Ruger would market a ten round 22 revolver and here it is! I just hope the actual retail price will be a little easier on my wallet than a 617.

That looks suspiciously like my next gun purchase...

My SP101 in .22 sucks.
My GP100 in .357/.38 is awesome.
If this has a trigger action anything like my GP100, I'm buying one.

And then I can say - "No, honey I don't already have one of these, that's a S&W 617 - they're TOTALLY different..."

1) Have you done any trigger work on your SP101? I switched out the spring to the lowest recommended on from wolf (I think) and polished things up and it took it to "not as bad as it was" trigger pull. So you can always do that.

2) From my understanding (atleast within the SP101) the springs for the .22 are harder than the springs for the .357 because given that the 22 requires a more definite hit given the pin isn't hitting directly on a primer.

So I wouldn't hold my breath that the trigger is going to be that much better on a .22 GP100.

1) Have you done any trigger work on your SP101? I switched out the spring to the lowest recommended on from wolf (I think) and polished things up and it took it to "not as bad as it was" trigger pull. So you can always do that.

2) From my understanding (atleast within the SP101) the springs for the .22 are harder than the springs for the .357 because given that the 22 requires a more definite hit given the pin isn't hitting directly on a primer.

So I wouldn't hold my breath that the trigger is going to be that much better on a .22 GP100.

I handed my SP101 and a Wolff's spring kit over to a friend who's better with revolvers than I am. He took it apart, polished it, swapped springs out, and the best he could do was make it "better". It was absolutely awful to start with, now it's merely bad.

I have a S&W 617 that's got an extraordinary action, but they're hard to find. If the GP100 isn't as good as I hope, I'll keep looking for a used 617.

Thanks.

Great would be nice to have a full size revolver .22 with out paying the model 617 price tag. Just out of curiosity, the S&W revolvers have a screw to remove the cylinder. I dont see that on the rugers. how do you remove the cylinder on the gp100?

Back
Top Bottom