• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Gunsite rifles availible

stinx

NES Member
I was at shooters Outpost the other day and they had at least 10 Ruger Gunsite Rifles for sale as well as Mags. just thought I would pass this on In case anyone was looking to get one. THe price was $799.00

I liked this rifle so much I did a bunch of online research about and the final verdict was out of the box accuracy was hit or miss. Not acceptable to me for a bolt action rifle that runs for close to a grand.

I like the idea of the Ruger Gunsite Scout, but there are a lot of negative reviews, mostly citing poor accuracy, so I've been able to resist buying one, so far.

I couldn't resist. It's a beautiful rifle with great specs. What's not to love?! Ruger- Check! Bolt action - Check! Box mag - Check! 308 - Check! Cool as hell looking - Check!
I have to see the "poor accuracy" to believe it. Nutnfancy didn't like his... but plenty of folks love theirs.
Found 2 right handers and 1 left hander at Center Sports in Columbia CT. $825...

I like the idea of the Ruger Gunsite Scout, but there are a lot of negative reviews, mostly citing poor accuracy, so I've been able to resist buying one, so far.

Yeah me too. I want a scout pretty bad, but this rifle seems to miss the mark. There was a thread some time back about it, and the thoughts posted pushed me away from it. I have been wanting to look at a Savage Scout for a little while.

Savage Arms

To me, it's just the other way around. Looks like a good concept for a SHTF gun, but I'd buy one in 7mm08 rather than .308.
If a political "incident" can cause such a shortage in the comon calibers, I want an uncomon gun and my chances to find ammo in a NROL situation would be much better. Right?

i know Jeff Cooper would turn over in his grave, but Ruger made one in 5.56 I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The Steyer Scout makes has a model in .223.

Make mine a .308 Winchester please... I guess everyone has their pet calibers.
As for Steyr Scout... $2400 vs $800, that's a lot of ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, it's just the other way around. Looks like a good concept for a SHTF gun, but I'd buy one in 7mm08 rather than .308.
If a political "incident" can cause such a shortage in the comon calibers, I want an uncomon gun and my chances to find ammo in a NROL situation would be much better. Right?

Reloading solves lots of shortage problems. Just have to not try to become a reloader in the middle of an NROL situation. I was a .308 and 45 ACP "snob", now I am paying the price trying to round up .223 and 9mm reloading supplies.

SgtBF,

I've got a Mannlicher stocked Ruger 77 in .308 18 inch barrel. I am of a certain age where I no longer enjoy shooting that caliber. I looked really hard at the Savage Scout in 7.62 Russian up at State Line Gun Shop, finally went with an MP Sport. Can't afford a Steyer, although if the price insanity on ARs continues I can probably trade the Sport even for one [laugh] I don't regret getting the MP one bit.

This is the gun that got me on my bolt gun kick. Thought it was cool looking. Wanted one then started to read about it and everyone seemed to come to the same consensus. Accuracy is hit or miss, and it seems more miss (however if something doesn't work as well people complain a lot more so who really knows).

Started to read up more on bolt guns and went savage. Removable magazine. Can buy ten rounders. Accuracy out of the box. Lots of aftermarket parts. Whats not to love about the savage 10. All for right around the same price. Why not?

With all the "out of the box" MOA or better rifles out there priced under $800 I cant really find one reason to buy one of these silly Rugers. IMHO Its a gimmick straped to a less than average platform

i know Jeff Cooper would turn over in his grave, but Ruger made one in 5.56 I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The Steyer Scout makes has a model in .223.

I believe someone is now making a 5.56 bolt action that takes AR mags. Mossberg???

- - - Updated - - -

Mossberg MVP bolt action is 5.56/223, and uses AR15 mags.

That was what I was thinking about!

I have a LH 16.5" Gunsite and all I can say is go shoot one, you'll by it. It's just a blast to shoot and as far as accuracy goes the gun is always going to be more accurate then you or I. If your looking to reach out to 1000 yards then the Gunsite wouldn't be it but if you want a good looking 100-300 yard rifle that makes you grin with every pull of the trigger then you'll love the Gunsite. I've already had 3 friends buy one after shooting mine. I always tell people to try it themselves before believing any online reviews. You might just be surprised on how many times the so called "experts" are bias and just don't get or point out what the gun(s) are really good for. Anyone that wants to shoot it just PM me and I'll let you know when I'm heading out to the range so you can try it out.

I have a LH 16.5" Gunsite and all I can say is go shoot one, you'll by it. It's just a blast to shoot and as far as accuracy goes the gun is always going to be more accurate then you or I. If your looking to reach out to 1000 yards then the Gunsite wouldn't be it but if you want a good looking 100-300 yard rifle that makes you grin with every pull of the trigger then you'll love the Gunsite. I've already had 3 friends buy one after shooting mine. I always tell people to try it themselves before believing any online reviews. You might just be surprised on how many times the so called "experts" are bias and just don't get or point out what the gun(s) are really good for. Anyone that wants to shoot it just PM me and I'll let you know when I'm heading out to the range so you can try it out.

What type of groups are you getting at 300 yards?

I purchased one and mounted a Leupold long eye relief scope on it. That in itself takes some time to get used to. Also it does come with rings that are for mounting a 3 inch eye relief scope. I shot mine with both and ended up putting a 3 inch eye relief scope on it. As to accuracy mine is accurate. At 200 yards I was able to achieve sub once inch groups with little effort. However the important part was using the correct ammunition. Its a short barreled 308 so it seems to like the lighter projectiles. I love mine and it was not designed to be a long range sniper rifle but a short easy to carry Scout.JMHO

Was thinking about this or a Savage Scout. The Savage has great reviews, doesn't have the big magazine hanging out the bottom, and is about $125 less. I can even order it left handed. Decisions decisions....

Back
Top Bottom