• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger GP100 vs S&W 686 6” Barrel .357

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m in the market for a .357 revolver (6 inch barrel). I’ve narrowed it down to two options. The Ruger GP100 and the Smith & Wesson 686. Anyone have experience with both of these that could lend an opinion ? I’ve shot the GP100, but I have not shot the Smith & Wesson. Any input is appreciated.

When I was still a member at Danvers a guy named Jaime let me shoot his performance center S&W, wonderful trigger. That said, Ruger revolvers are tanks and break in wonderfully. I have a Talo GP100 and I love the damn thing. Think the model # is 1753

I just can't get past that screw down plate on the S&W. GP100 shoots great, accurate, robust, easy front sight replacement.

I’m in the market for a .357 revolver (6 inch barrel). I’ve narrowed it down to two options. The Ruger GP100 and the Smith & Wesson 686. Anyone have experience with both of these that could lend an opinion ? I’ve shot the GP100, but I have not shot the Smith & Wesson. Any input is appreciated.

What are you looking for in the firearm? What activity do you have planned for shooting it? How much do you really want to spend?

These are some items I would use to evaluate between the two as I know the answer might change depending on your usage.

What are you looking for in the firearm? What activity do you have planned for shooting it? How much do you really want to spend?

These are some items I would use to evaluate between the two as I know the answer might change depending on your usage.

I’m looking to use it primarily for range/outdoor target shooting. Not competition or anything.
Money is not really an option, I just want to get the better firearm.
My brother has the GP100 6 inch barrel. I trained on that gun when getting my LTC in Boston. I really rally like it. Right now, they’re tough to find new, so one dealer offered the S&W as an alternative.

I have to agree with all of the sentiments so far on the Ruger. Solid, accurate, “a tank” ; )

Yep, that's the one!

At least with the side plate it's possible to have a trigger that's wider than the slot in the frame. I like my GP-100, but the trigger feels a little bit svelte on a gun that otherwise is anything but.

If you have the time for it (he's long winded), you might benefit from some of nutnfancy's videos on the GP-100 4". I mention those because they contain comparison info, or at least I know I've seen him discuss it, probably on multiple occasions. He slightly prefers the 686. Having spent a reasonable amount of time with both, I slightly prefer the 686, too. I don't know why, but I just seem to shoot the 686 more accurately. I've shot the 6" 686 but I'm mostly talking about the 4" ones. The trigger pull is longer on the GP. It will be rougher on the GP at first, most likely, but a thousand pulls later it will be like you got a trigger job. If it isn't, there's probably something wrong with it that Ruger will need to fix for you, which of late has not been rare enough. The adjustable sight is better-designed on the 686. Ruger's adjustable sight can move around slightly side-to-side in the channel, and the pin on it will need either bending or blue Loctite to keep it from working itself out of position in use. The 686 frame comes pre-drilled so that you can securely mount an optic if you want. There are some options for the Ruger that work with the single screw that the stock sight uses, but they're nowhere near as secure, and it's easier to change the 686 back to the stock sight, too, just slide the stock sight back into place and insert the sight screw. The Ruger isn't hard, but you've got to get two springs and pin in place in addition to the screw, and you'll have to take extra steps to restore the elevation adjustment to what it was before. OTOH, the GP wins on ease of replacing the front sight, e.g. if you want a fiber optic or something with a red ramp insert. Now that I think of it, the 686 front sight isn't all that hard to replace, but the replacement will probably need some fitting. Now that I mention that, however, plan on dealing with the stock front sight on the Ruger in one way or another. The S&W comes standard with a red ramp insert, not the brightest thing in the world, but better than the GP's stock front sight, which will need painting, at least.

HTH

Last edited:
Fwiw my buddy just got a smith 586 (blued version of the 686). Sent it back already after one range trip. Light hammer strikes right out if the box.

I went through the same “dilemma” 6 years ago when looking for my first revolver. Went with the GP100 and later got a trigger job. Held up well to lots of 357 magnum. Just recently sold it to buy a Dan Wesson 357...

I have both. The Smith is perfectly balanced (4 inch no-lock) and it is without a doubt my favorite wheel gun.

However, if I were in the backcountry for any length of time, I would pick the Ruger. DarthRevan’s term “tank” is right on! If you ran out of .357 it would still be your most lethal possession.

I used to have a 686 6" and it was a great gun, wish I still had it. Never a problem with it and put a lot of rounds through it. I can't compare to the gp100 as I have never shot one though.

I have a 586 and a 686, both great guns. The 586 is a 6", and the 686 is the 8 3/8" target model with the adjustable front sight.
They're both super accurate, but for smoothness, the 586 has an edge over the stainless gun.

I went through the same “dilemma” 6 years ago when looking for my first revolver. Went with the GP100 and later got a trigger job. Held up well to lots of 357 magnum. Just recently sold it to buy a Dan Wesson 357...

That's a big change in double action trigger pulls, from long to short. I had a chance to buy a used DW with 3 barrels at B&K awhile back. I wasn't into revolvers then like I am now, and I just passed it up. I kind of regret that now, though if it happened again too soon, I might have to do the same thing again because right now I need to cool it for several months on purchases. I somehow ended up buying two model 27's this year.

Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate the time and responses. By all means, please continue on if you wish. I’ve decided on the Ruger. :emoji_metal:

Now to try and find one. :emoji_grinning: Rick Grimes has made these pretttttty popular.

FWIW at one time I had about 12 S&Ws from Mod 10,15,19,27,28,29,36 and a couple others I can't remember the Model number of and no Rugers. The we had the 10,000 round tests at FLETC for a total of about 60,000 rounds. Now I have a Mod 10, 36 Unfired,
two K Frame 22s and a Mod 15 TH, TT, TS. Been wanting to sell the Mod 15. In 20 years I probably had 25 S&Ws.
I now have 3 GP 100s 3", two GP100's 6", 2 Security Sixes stainless, 1 6" blue, SP101 3", two Redhawks 357 and 44, 1 Super Single Six, 4 MK IIs, one Mk III, one Speed Six 2 3/4", one 3" and won't even consider another S&W.

Never shot a ruger gp but I have a 686 I bought used with a trigger job already done. Really nice gun super smooth and very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom