Ruger GP100 versus small hands

Anyone with smallish hands have trouble holding/shooting a GP100?

I am thinking about buying one cause I can get a great price on a brand new one, but I've never held one.

Are they similar in frame size to the old Security Six? Cause that felt awesome in my hand.

I don't know how small of a hand you're talking but I wear size medium work gloves and have no problem with the gp100.

If you find the hogue grip they're putting on them now too big you could order one of the rubber/wood insert grips they used to come with from brownells., they're smaller and I really like them.

Steve-O: I'm only 5-9 and have smallish hands for a man. I prefer the GP-100 to all DA revolvers for its fit. Purists will puke, but I think the trigger pull on these guns can be made nicer than any S&W or Colt. It's a longish pull but that is what I like as I prefer to stage the trigger and aim with precision. Others don't care about this feature and like the shorter S&W pull when shooting fast. My current GP has a 7.2lb. pull. I only shortened the trigger return spring and ground some material off the mainspring. I did not shorten the mainspring. This is an error. Reduce the diameter evenly and polish. The pull is lightened and you retain a good long power thrust that is ruined if you shorten the main. Or you could buy a spring kit. I like to work with what comes with the gun. The old Security Six was a better gun than the current GP-100. I used a SS to shoot PPC with 30 years ago and have found no better trigger action yet, including the newer GP-100. Still, for what's available I'll never shoot anything but the Ruger DAs. I also have a .454 Super Redhawk that has the same GP-100 action. It, too, has been lightened and now has a 7 lb trigger. I can actually shoot this heavier gun in .45 better than the .38. The Ruger's get no respect among competitive shooters which is too bad. I think they are the easiest DAs to shoot well which is why I use them.

John

Back
Top Bottom