• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger brings back the PCC in 9mm?

Another poster said he thinks the new 9 carbine is not his thing because it's double the price of a 10-22 takedown. My point was there is no comparing the two guns because all that is similar is the trigger.

Similar stock. Breakdown design. Similar trigger. Blowback action (similar).

I am guessing the price to manufacture is also similar.

Most everything is similar, except the price.

Similar stock. Breakdown design. Similar trigger. Blowback action (similar).

I am guessing the price to manufacture is also similar.

Most everything is similar, except the price.

Even if all of this is true, as a manufacturer why would you want to sell yourself short?

Why is it more expensive? "because it can be".

The PCC market is loaded with trash (see shit point carbine, etc), and even the next nearest
competitor, the Kel Tec, isn't produced in enough numbers to be competitive. (plus also a sub 2000 is probably an ergo dumpster fire compared to this thing, doesnt even have a BHO, this does. ) Then there's the shit trigger / hard to obtain in 9mm, Beretta Storm, and what else? lol. Not sure what the going price is, but if they break $600 or less they will sell tons of these all day long, because the low end PCC market is dismal and filled with trash once you go below a grand or so.

If I was Ruger I'd be like "okay, we can get some decent margin on this thing, given our market placement with dealers, etc. "

If this gun is built well it'll be a cash machine for them. Maybe if we are lucky it
will encourage others to introduce more non-shitty guns in this price class.

-Mike

Last edited:
1) Even if all of this is true, as a manufacturer why would you want to sell yourself short?

2) Not sure what the going price is, but if they break $600 or less they will sell tons of these all day long, because the low end PCC market is dismal and filled with trash once you go below a grand or so.

1) I agree completely. I was just saying what people are seeing and probably thinking. If they can get it, why not? If people think they're getting ripped off, then they won't buy them.

2) Also true. You know, if High Point were to take their existing design, and just use slightly better materials, and slightly better manufacturing, they would have a MUCH better product, and be able to get another $100 for that better product.

Even if all of this is true, as a manufacturer why would you want to sell yourself short?

The PCC market is loaded with trash (see shit point carbine, etc), and even the next nearest
competitor, the Kel Tec, isn't produced in enough numbers to be competitive. (plus also a sub 2000 is probably an ergo dumpster fire compared to this thing, doesnt even have a BHO, this does. ) Then there's the shit trigger / hard to obtain in 9mm, Beretta Storm, and what else? lol. Not sure what the going price is, but if they break $600 or less they will sell tons of these all day long, because the low end PCC market is dismal and filled with trash once you go below a grand or so.

-Mike
Sub 2000's trigger does suck, but I blame it on the plastic trigger, which can be replaced with an aluminum one. Mine is not a dumpster fire.

I'll wait to hear feedback on this PC carbine before I say it's superior to the Kel Tec. I think if you want a pistol carbine for defense and a vehicle rifle, the Kel Tec is an excellent option. You can keep it folded and snap it into action in seconds without trouble, but this Ruger... idk. If you break it down, it's going to take longer to put the barrel on and charge a mag. Also, because the optic isn't attached to the barrel, the zero is going to change when the barrel is taken off and put back on. At that point, one is better off using the iron sights.

With a Kel Tec, you can side mount an optic and it will hold zero and still be able to close it. I prefer to just use the irons though, it's very accurate out to 100 yards on man sized targets.

Sub 2000's trigger does suck, but I blame it on the plastic trigger, which can be replaced with an aluminum one. Mine is not a dumpster fire.

I'll wait to hear feedback on this PC carbine before I say it's superior to the Kel Tec. I think if you want a pistol carbine for defense and a vehicle rifle, the Kel Tec is an excellent option. You can keep it folded and snap it into action in seconds without trouble, but this Ruger... idk. If you break it down, it's going to take longer to put the barrel on and charge a mag. Also, because the optic isn't attached to the barrel, the zero is going to change when the barrel is taken off and put back on. At that point, one is better off using the iron sights.

With a Kel Tec, you can side mount an optic and it will hold zero and still be able to close it. I prefer to just use the irons though, it's very accurate out to 100 yards on man sized targets.
With the 10/22 the takedown seems to maintain zero pretty well. I would hope this would too. If it doesn't maintain zero for optics, it won't for my preferred iron sight setup of a peep on the receiver.

1) I agree completely. I was just saying what people are seeing and probably thinking. If they can get it, why not? If people think they're getting ripped off, then they won't buy them.

2) Also true. You know, if High Point were to take their existing design, and just use slightly better materials, and slightly better manufacturing, they would have a MUCH better product, and be able to get another $100 for that better product.

The internals of the High Point trigger mechanism have a lot of stamped sheet metal , rivets, and other cheesy construction. The thing works, it's reliable, but it's like its made of beer can pull tabs and stuff you'd find under your refrigerator.

I think the market was hurting for a pcc like this. A little more expensive than the hipoint but you definitely get something for the money. Uses mags and ammo you already have and should be produced in quantity enough so you can actually swing by a retailer and grab the one you want. Fun concept, and has solid practical use to back it up; maybe not the absolute best choice for most situations, but 100% viable for many.

The keltec is cool and maybe a little more practical in its breakdown, but if the ruger isn’t totally plastic it’s almost assuredly an upgrade. Also finding the s2k you actually want is about as likely as finding a unicorn steak at the grocery store.

Last edited:
. If there aren't already, i'll bet a dozen companies are looking to make a replacement stock with a pistol grip and folding/adjustable butt stock or one that allows you to slap AR grips and butt stocks on it.
The mag sticking out like that does look a bit odd, which incentivizes people to toss out the factory stock in place of AR-style, bullpup, wood grain, etc.

I think the market was hurting for a pcc like this. A little more expensive than the hipoint but you definitely get something for the money. Uses mags and ammo you already have and should be produced in quantity enough so you can actually swing by a retailer and grab the one you want. Fun concept, and has solid practical use to back it up; maybe not the absolute best choice for most situations, but 100% viable for many.

The keltec is cool and maybe a little more practical in its breakdown, but if the ruger isn’t totally plastic it’s almost assuredly an upgrade. Also finding the s2k you actually want is about as likely as finding a unicorn steak at the grocery store.
I think for people who conceal carry a pistol, having a carbine in your car that uses the same magazines and ammo is not a bad idea. Yes, a .223 rifle will be better, but I doubt for self defense you'll need to shoot further away than what the range is for the PC carbine. I just hope that Ruger finds a way to make the rifle work with single stack mags, because I'd love a carbine that can use LC9 mags.

I know, it's stupid, but I'm just like the idea that I can put some single stack magazines to use in something other than the pistol. One of the reasons that drew me towards Glocks wasn't just the ubiquity of them, but the magazines being so common that carbines use them too, notably, the Kel Tec. Yes, unless you're looking for a Glock Sub 2000, you're going to have a tough time, but that's just the way it is.

I will say if you don't have a Glock and want a pistol carbine, this Ruger is probably the best you'll get. Ruger may have just killed the Cx4 Storm.

I think for people who conceal carry a pistol, having a carbine in your car that uses the same magazines and ammo is not a bad idea. Yes, a .223 rifle will be better, but I doubt for self defense you'll need to shoot further away than what the range is for the PC carbine. I just hope that Ruger finds a way to make the rifle work with single stack mags, because I'd love a carbine that can use LC9 mags.

I will say if you don't have a Glock and want a pistol carbine, this Ruger is probably the best you'll get. Ruger may have just killed the Cx4 Storm.
I bet they will if it’s possible. Lots of people have the pistol, and would likely enjoy the rifle too.

I know, it's stupid, but I'm just like the idea that I can put some single stack magazines to use in something other than the pistol.

Like a seven round mag for a carbine? If people are able to access a long gun, they would probably prefer a mag with 15 to 30 rds. That would eliminate the single stack mags. Then hopefully, the carry gun with seven rounds does not have to leave the holster.

The SR mag with that lip on the floor plate looks like a mutant leg. Must go with nice extension on the Glock mag to make it look decent.
Ruger_PCC_Orig_v1b.jpg

Be still my beating heart. That would be wicked cool.
A bullpup that takes glock mags would be revolutionary. There's a bullpup Hi Point in the works, but it'll only take factory 10rd mags.

I think a bullpup PCC has tremendous value in SHTF/bugout application (shares same mags as your handgun).

I like the Magwell interchange. I hope they make one that is flush on standard cap so only extended stick out like a sore thumb. I just think the look and function would nicer than the bottom half of exposed mag hanging out. it would give a nice purchase for the hand to hold. Cool thing is manufacturers can start making aftermarket magwells if ruger doesnt listen to the consumer demand. I'm getting one very soon.

Whatever constitutes a "metric crap ton", Ruger is going to sell many of those.

I'm not a 9mm guy, but I do hope that after the initial rush they release a .45 ACP version that takes 1911 mags (or Glock mags, for those of the distaff persuasion).

Looks interesting, but at 6.8 lbs it is too heavy for a carbine. My Beretta Storm weighs less with a scope. Just saying.

The original Pistol Caliber Carbines offered by Ruger were always decent guns for what they were IMO. The problem was that at the time there was a limited market especially in LE which was a primary marketing thrust. I think today there is more interest in PCC's as more civilian shooters acquired 9mm pistols and they see the utility of the carbine/pistol combo just like the Colt SAA/Winchester 73 Combo. I think the new Ruger is worth checking out and as another poster said, I'm confident that there will be other after market magazine adapters. I'm a little surprised that S&W hasn't jumped on the bandwagon.

Laugh all you want, but the High Point PCC's are rugged and dependable little guns and are popular even carried by some small town and rural police departments I'm told, and Hi-Point has been laughing all the way to the bank with the sale and manufacture of this product. There is a market. It will be interesting to see if Ruger plans other calibers as well.

I like that Ruger listened to its customers and gave them what Glock would not...a carbine that takes Glock mags. I have an original 1997 ruger police carbine and P94 pistol, so I wont be buying the new PC carbine, but I think they will sell millions of these things to Ruger fans and Glock fans alike

• Ships with SR9 magwell installed and comes with glock magwell
  • Takes 10/22 trigger parts
  • Threaded and non threaded barrel/10 or 17 round option
  • Ambi contols
With the magwell option and the removable barrel who knows what calibers will get offered. Assuming there's no technical or safety issues these things will sell very well. Then we get magpul stuff and other great ruger add ons. So to sum up, we have a very reasonably priced 9mm carbine with a list of pros and a good chance at a massive aftermarket, from a manufacturer that is crushing the game at the moment and can meet demand better than some others. They're just printing money at this point.

Remington/Marlin should look at this with a face plant and say "Why didn't we think to bring out an updated Camp 9".

This^

But they should have done it years ago.
I'm not sure the Remlin quality nowadays would be up to snuff enough to drive a lot of sales.
However, I'd love to have .45 camp carbine that takes 1911 mags.

The original Pistol Caliber Carbines offered by Ruger were always decent guns for what they were IMO. The problem was that at the time there was a limited market especially in LE which was a primary marketing thrust. I think today there is more interest in PCC's as more civilian shooters acquired 9mm pistols and they see the utility of the carbine/pistol combo just like the Colt SAA/Winchester 73 Combo. I think the new Ruger is worth checking out and as another poster said, I'm confident that there will be other after market magazine adapters. I'm a little surprised that S&W hasn't jumped on the bandwagon.

Laugh all you want, but the High Point PCC's are rugged and dependable little guns and are popular even carried by some small town and rural police departments I'm told, and Hi-Point has been laughing all the way to the bank with the sale and manufacture of this product. There is a market. It will be interesting to see if Ruger plans other calibers as well.
Smith may if they see how well these are selling, but I'll bet their carbine will only use S&W magazines. Ruger was wise beyond their years to design this PC carbine to basically use any magazine with the right adapter installed. Most pistol manufacturers don't make carbines that use their pistols magazines.

I expect a .40 S&W version by the end of 2018. .357 Sig maybe, but probably only as an accessory barrel for the .40 model. I would think a .45 and 10mm version will happen eventually, but I don't know when.

Hell, Ruger could possibly make this carbine in .357 or .44 Magnum and use rotary magazines. This could actually be the successor to the old Model 44 Carbine.

There's just so many places Ruger could take this carbine and make a ton of money from.

R

Rotary mags are completely possible with larger carteridge. Ruger makes the m77 bolt action rifle in 357 mag and 44 mag. Both have rotary magazines.
Agreed. Interestingly, Thompson Center/ Smith & Wesson have also successfully applied the rotary magazine concept to conventional centerfire rifle cartridges (e.g. T/C Compass).

The problem with a flush fit- rotary type magazine in larger diameter calibers is that they would be more capacity limited than pistol-type box magazine. When Ruger introduced its .44 Magnum semi-auto carbine ("Deerfield Carbine") which used a rotary detachable magazine, it held 4 rounds.

Although the magazine might be argued to take away from the aesthetics of the new pistol caliber carbine, it allows a lot of capacity in states that allow that sort of thing- but also (because of the magazine options) easily accommodates those of us who live in more restrictive states. I appreciate that- because a lot of companies don't really make choices that consider the capacity restrictions which we face "behind enemy lines."

Back
Top Bottom