• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Blackhawk

Ruger handguns are pretty much the toughest guns you're going to find. They can take almost anything you can throw at them.

The super blackhawk was specifically designed to better accomodate hot .44 mag loads.

Everything I've read said it was more about shooter comfort than the ability of the standard Blackhawk to take heavy loads.

In some reloading manuals, there are "Ruger Only" .44 mag loads. I don't know if they only apply to super blackhawk and super redhawk or also include the blackhawk. That might be a good place to start.

I just saw this in a Ruger forum.

On The hammers are different between the BH and SBH and some of the SBH's have the longer, square backed grip frame. They use the same cylinder frames. It's not a strict chambering thing either. There's been BH's in .44 mag and SBH's in .41 mag and 45LC - both were Hunter models.

Also, blued Blackhawks have aluminum alloy grip-frames and ejector rod housings (except for an occasional special run like the 50th Anniversary .357s). Blued Super Blackhawks in .44 Mag are all steel for added weight.

I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Love it. Thing is build like tank. 7 1/2" barrell. Nice and heavy.

I have two Blackhawks, both in .357. They are a joy to shoot. You are in for a treat!

For my first .44 Magnum I opted for a Super Redhawk and was glad I did. The extra weight of the Redhawk helped insulate me from the severe recoil with hot loads.

For all 3 of my Ruger revolvers I rarely used magnum cartridges except when hunting, opting for easier on me and my budget .38 SPL and .44 SPL cartridges for shooting paper.

Last edited:
I want to pick up a long barrel 357 or 44 magnum Blackhawk for coyote hunting. In Elmer Keith's book "Sixguns", he speaks volumes about the Ruger Blackhawk. Its pretty much a copy of the old cap and ball dragoon, in centerfire caliber and updated construction. Elmer Keith shot everything from Grizzly bears to jackrabbits with a Blackhawk.

Last edited:
I want to pick up a long barrel 357 or 44 magnum Blackhawk for coyote hunting. In Elmer Keith's book "Sixguns", he speaks volumes about the Ruger Blackhawk. Its pretty much a copy of the old cap and ball dragoon, in centerfire caliber and updated construction. Elmer Keith shot everything from Grizzly bears to jackrabbits with a Blackhawk.

Its actually nothing like an old cap and ball dragoon. Its internal construction is vastly different from those old guns. It uses modern coil springs and makes use of SR's expertise in investment casting to form parts to nearly finished dimensions. It also (since about 1970) uses a transfer bar trigger system that allows it to be safely carried with the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

Sure it looks like a rework of an old colt, or S&W, but looks are where the similarity ends.

Last edited:
Thats what I was getting at, its a updated version of the dragoon, thats where the Blackhawks lines are derived from. "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith explains it well.

Are the .44 mag versions beefy for stout loads? I'm looking for a .44 6" to play with heavy fast reloads

I use my .45LC for my stout loads. I had a 7.5 inch .44 mag - but I like the way this one carries better, and the .45ACP cylinder for cheap practice is a bonus. 0112172008a.jpg

I use my .45LC for my stout loads. I had a 7.5 inch .44 mag - but I like the way this one carries better, and the .45ACP cylinder for cheap practice is a bonus.View attachment 190148

In case people aren't aware, there are also "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads. Although I don't believe that they go all the way up to .44 magnum power.

Also, in case you didn't know, externally, the .45 colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W are all identical except for length.

I have heard of people using cut down .454 Casull cases (with their stouter construction) to make fairly hot .45 colt loads.

Remember, the .45 Colt is a 14,000 psi round. The .454 Casull is a 60,000 psi round.

standard.jpg

Cor-bon has a bunch of those "Ruger only" loads - which is why I got rid of my super blackhawk. I can't remember, but the loads I use are either 325 or 335 grain, at around 1100fps. If that ain't .444mag power, it's close enough for government work.

Back
Top Bottom