Ruger announces SR1911 in 10mm

When Remington came out with their 10mm, I figured it wouldn't be long before we had several to choose from. I think the 10mm would be a great long range handgun cartridge. I don't have one yet but that could change quickly.

Eh, Ruger seems to be shifting towards the American line and only keeping the SR line because of the more newbie friendly safety features.

Ruger can try to push their American pistol line all they want but that gun is doomed. it's a textbook example of "design by committee". complete absence of vision for the design, just a bunch of random crap pieced together. aside from being hideous, it's a 30+ oz polymer pistol that offers a worse bore axis and chunkier design than their SR9. With the insane amount of competition in the striker market, I anticipate the American pistols will drop in price and ultimately fizzle out.

if you haven't had a chance to get the Ruger American in your hand, I highly recommend feeling it. the gun holds like a brick.

At the same time Ruger is smart to continue expanding their 1911 line. while I personally don't like any of their 1911's, at least they have name/brand recognition and a firearm for which people are interested.

not a fan of ruger 1911's but i'll give this a look. i'd guess around high $800's when it hits the shelves in mass.

[video=youtube_share;PqiXg0xGvfs]http://youtu.be/PqiXg0xGvfs[/video]

Can someone sell me on 10mm? Wouldn't mind adding another pistol cartridge to the safe after dumping .40.

Ruger can try to push their American pistol line all they want but that gun is doomed. it's a textbook example of "design by committee". complete absence of vision for the design, just a bunch of random crap pieced together. aside from being hideous, it's a 30+ oz polymer pistol that offers a worse bore axis and chunkier design than their SR9. With the insane amount of competition in the striker market, I anticipate the American pistols will drop in price and ultimately fizzle out.

if you haven't had a chance to get the Ruger American in your hand, I highly recommend feeling it. the gun holds like a brick.

At the same time Ruger is smart to continue expanding their 1911 line. while I personally don't like any of their 1911's, at least they have name/brand recognition and a firearm for which people are interested.

Ruger should have made an SR9 Pro series without the "safety pride flag" and worthless manual safety. Those guns are at least comfortable to shoot.

-Mike

I had to shoot the Ruger American compact as a pickup gun at the IDPA state championship last weekend. Definitely a brick and trigger wasn't as good as the SR9 in my opinion.

AFAIK it has slightly better ballistics than the 357 mag, and you get 8+1 in a semi instead of a revolver. I am interested... there may be opportunities for being creative with reloading for this caliber.

AFAIK it has slightly better ballistics than the 357 mag, and you get 8+1 in a semi instead of a revolver. I am interested... there may be opportunities for being creative with reloading for this caliber.

This. Granted, you can get an 8 shot 357 now for about the same price. Also, if your hands are 26 feet long, you can get the Glock 20 or 40 and have 15+1 of 357 mag equivalent performance. Example, the Winchester ballistic silvertip in 10mm is 175 grains at 1290fps. Although a lot of factory loadings are barely more than the .40SW. Again, this is where reloading can introduce more fun.

I wonder if you could do a barrel/bushing/mag change on a .45 SR1911?

You probably can, but I'm not sure I would. The 45 ACP brass sized cutout in the slide breech face would let a 10mm wander around a bit. My first 10mm was a Glock 21 conversion barrel, which after trying several different extractors I got to work reliably, but not consistently. No FTE/FTFs, but it would put ejected brass anywhere it damn well pleased. I believe this was caused by the slide cutout being for the slightly larger 45ACP brass, allowing the 10mm brass to not be in exactly the same spot every time it ejected. Considering how difficult it is to find 10mm brass, that wasn't acceptable. I replaced it with a Glock 20 - and a 29 [smile] both of which eject brass in a nice pile.

Can someone sell me on 10mm? Wouldn't mind adding another pistol cartridge to the safe after dumping .40.

Don't even consider 10mm unless you reload. If you do, once you get brass it's not at all difficult to reload - a little more powder, .40 bullets are easy to find. Much simpler than reloading 41 Mag.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really wanted a magnumesque semi-auto pistol caliber to play with. You don't really gain a whole lot with it. Of course if you dumped the 40 S&W because you discovered it was deliberately handicapped, and you like shooting odd cartridges anyway, by all means, get a 10mm. I really like mine - waiting for a 6" barrel for the G20, the G29 is my go-to wandering in the woods pistol, and I'm (slowly!) putting together a 10mm Commander. Now I just need a Sig 220 in 10mm, S&W 1006 and 610, EAA 10mm witness......and now a 10mm Ruger.

I wonder if you could do a barrel/bushing/mag change on a .45 SR1911?

.400 Cor-Bon
The .400 Corbon is an automatic pistol cartridge developed by Cor-Bon in 1997.[2] It was created to mimic the ballistics of the powerful 10 mm Auto cartridge in a .45 ACP form factor. It is essentially a .45 ACP case, necked down to .40 caliber with a 25 degree shoulder.
Performance is on a par with the 10 mm, yet pressures are much milder. Factory ammo is loaded to +P .45 levels, but the lighter bullet weights make recoil comparable to .45 hardball loads. Felt recoil is a little sharper but still very controllable.
Nearly any .45 ACP pistol can be converted to utilize the .400 Cor-Bon cartridge with only a drop-in replacement barrel, and sometimes a heavier recoil spring (for 1911s this is usually an 18-20 lb. spring, although a few need a 22-24 lb. spring)

10mm is great as a hand loader. You can really push that cartridge. I built a long-slide G20 years ago before the G40 came out, and have a 180gr load that is around 1400fps, and a 220gr hardcast that is 1175fps. That's 900-1000 Joules of energy (.357 Mag territory), in a 15+1 pistol with Glock reliability and durability. It's the ideal "woods gun" for the northeast, where we don't have to worry about grizzly bears, but might feel undergunned with a 9mm against a big and pissed off black bear, moose, etc. Along the same lines, 10mm is an awesome cartridge up here for handgun hunters.

If you don't hand load, it's expensive for full power stuff, and most of the stuff on the market is slightly hopped up .40SW at a very hopped up price.

While I'm no fan of Ruger and and even less of a fan of 1911s, I would give this a look. I like 10mm, but not in a polymer framed gun. This has a steel frame to help with recoil mitigation and it's a single stack so it probably doesn't feel like a 2x4 in the hand. I think this would be a fun shooter.

Back
Top Bottom