• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger American

sweed

NES Member
Has anyone experience with this rifle in 30-06 or .308?

I am looking for an inexpensive bolt gun to get into some shooting in the 100-200 yard range. I know I could just throw a scope on my AR, but I want a separate bolt gun for when I eventually upgrade to a Remington 700 type with a heavier barrel and farther distances.
I know there are a few of these types of inexpensive rifles from savage, Marlin, mossberg, etc. the Ruger seems to have very positive reviews for this type of gun, for what it's supposed to be.
Is there much difference in price between 30-06 and .308? I'll probably go for whatever is cheaper, my guess the .308?
You sure can't beat the price for what they are going for!

I did shoot a few rounds in 30-06, from a fellow member at my range. It seemed really nice, and that's what sparked my interest last year.

Last edited:
I have the .308 version and it is a pretty good rifle. The price point when I got it was the selling point for me. I wanted a bolt action in 308 so this was my entry level option. Its a solid shooter and feels good overall.
I would be happy to let you fire it over at the range if you wanted.

Just a thought for you. Have you looked at a stevens 200? They are the same price as the American. The only benefit is you can get aftermarket partsand upgrade it over time if you get more serious about long distance shooting. Last i checked this wasn't really possible with the ruger American. Plus the great thing is the receiver is the same as a savage so you can swap out barrels and caliber of you want.

With .308 you have more choices for your next gun in the same caliber.

I am eyeing the Scout. But def mucho dinero.
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout, brought it to at least one NES shoot last year. I chose the Scout for the shorter length and built-in open sights. Prices for all Rugers vary considerably at NH gun stores, shop around.

Is there much difference in price between 30-06 and .308? I'll probably go for whatever is cheaper, my guess the .308?
For most brands, their .308 is less expensive than their 30-06 ammo, plus is easier to find .308 ammo, especially if you're willing to settle for milsurp.

I have the .308 version and it is a pretty good rifle. The price point when I got it was the selling point for me. I wanted a bolt action in 308 so this was my entry level option. Its a solid shooter and feels good overall.
Thanks, I'll let you know if I'll take you up on that. Been crazy busy lately on weekends.

There is a .308 in the classifieds all set up and ready to go (no its not mine)
Thanks, but it's $300 over regular price. It includes some extras, but I'm not looking to add that much to it.

Just a thought for you. Have you looked at a stevens 200? They are the same price as the American. The only benefit is you can get aftermarket partsand upgrade it over time if you get more serious about long distance shooting. Last i checked this wasn't really possible with the ruger American. Plus the great thing is the receiver is the same as a savage so you can swap out barrels and caliber of you want.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those!

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout, brought it to at least one NES shoot last year. I chose the Scout for the shorter length and built-in open sights. Prices for all Rugers vary considerably at NH gun stores, shop around.

For most brands, their .308 is less expensive than their 30-06 ammo, plus is easier to find .308 ammo, especially if you're willing to settle for milsurp.
Thanks, I'll def be shopping around and calling some places for the best price, tax free!

I'll probably only add a scope to it. Been looking at vortex and a few others. Trying to keep it under $200 with more than 9x magnification.

Another option is the Mossberg MVP. The Mossbergs are getting a good reputation for being accurate, and they accept AR magazines (M14 in the case of the 308), which I think is great.

+1, I also have the 22" .308 and it's a nice entry-level platform. I only have a cheap $60 3-9x scope on it, but at 100 yards it does the trick. I've gotten some decent groups with cheap Russian Brown Bear ammo. I've still yet to put match ammo through it to see the real potential. It is a thin barrel so it's meant to be a lightweight hunting rifle, not something that maintains accuracy at the range for 60 rds.

American 1.jpg American 2.jpg American 3.jpg American 4.jpg

Another option is the Mossberg MVP. The Mossbergs are getting a good reputation for being accurate, and they accept AR magazines (M14 in the case of the 308), which I think is great.

Well crap, when did they come out with the .308 version? Taking M14 mags is a huge plus, I wish Ruger had done that with the scout.

Edit: Some reading looks like it takes SR25/DPMS pattern mags (including 308 PMAGs) not M14?

Edit2: "7.62mm NATO/308 WIN accepts both M1A/M14 as well as LR-308/SR-25 style mags"

Well shit, how'd they pull that off?

I was looking at the same rifle in 308. I see them at times for 300-380.00. Let it cool down after the 4 rounds the Mag holds, watch some vids and you will see the Barrel does heat up after a few Mags if not cooled down. The savage Axis isnt bad for the $ but the Ruger American for under 400 is what i would pick. . Brenden Windsor a Kid on Youtube hit a 10x12 plate at 1,000 yds.

I was looking at the same rifle in 308. I see them at times for 300-380.00. Let it cool down after the 4 rounds the Mag holds, watch some vids and you will see the Barrel does heat up after a few Mags if not cooled down. The savage Axis isnt bad for the $ but the Ruger American for under 400 is what i would pick. . Brenden Windsor a Kid on Youtube hit a 10x12 plate at 1,000 yds.
Savage axis also comes with a decent bushnell scope. Perfect for your needs

Well crap, when did they come out with the .308 version? Taking M14 mags is a huge plus, I wish Ruger had done that with the scout.

Edit: Some reading looks like it takes SR25/DPMS pattern mags (including 308 PMAGs) not M14?

Edit2: "7.62mm NATO/308 WIN accepts both M1A/M14 as well as LR-308/SR-25 style mags"

Well shit, how'd they pull that off?

If it's anything like my Beretta CX4 rifle as far as the concept, it's just an insert or adapter in the mag well.

Update: info on bolt design from the original MVP 308... I'm assuming it's mag well adapter + this bolt design. I definitely want one now!

"The bolt on the 7.62 version has also been modified but in a much simpler way. Instead of a drop-lip arrangement, there are two small projections at the five and seven o’clock positions just below and flush with the rim of the recessed bolt face. Apparently, this was all that was necessary to get the 4×4 compatible with AR-10 type magazines. Each projection engages the rims of cartridges stored on alternating sides of the magazine. Simple.

Last edited:
I picked this up today! I actually bought it last Friday, but I was put on delay again. I bought it at SO; they were great, and mounted my scope (purchased via online) for free! That trigger feels awesome, and I can't wait to try it out this week! IMAG1369.jpg

I got a chance to shoot the Ruger and the Savage Axis.

I like the Ruger better.

But the Savage can be had left handed and there are combos with Nikon scopes. So that works in its favor.

agree i prefer the feel of the ruger american over savage axis.
however to be fair to both rifles, i think ruger literally copied the savage model in almost every aspect and then just improved a few things. i am not knocking ruger for copying - everyone does that and it's pretty much accepted now.

in my hands, the overall feel and especially magazine changes in the ruger just seems more solid. the ruger has a very rugged feel to it.

Cool!

Now if we can just get one solid day with no rain, it's time for a trip to the range.

I'm thinking maybe tomorrow now looks like the best chance, and maybe Friday also.

I got a chance to shoot the Ruger and the Savage Axis.

I like the Ruger better.

But the Savage can be had left handed and there are combos with Nikon scopes. So that works in its favor.

I think there is a version with a Redfield scope combo for the RA? I bought my scope a few weeks ago for a really good deal. Vortex crossfire II 6-18x44 deadhold for a little more than the 4-12x scope.

agree i prefer the feel of the ruger american over savage axis.
however to be fair to both rifles, i think ruger literally copied the savage model in almost every aspect and then just improved a few things. i am not knocking ruger for copying - everyone does that and it's pretty much accepted now.

in my hands, the overall feel and especially magazine changes in the ruger just seems more solid. the ruger has a very rugged feel to it.

Except the American has a copy of the Savage accutriger and the accustock, neither of which does the Axis have.

Kind of funny, Ruger out-savaging the savage.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking maybe tomorrow now looks like the best chance, and maybe Friday also.

I think there is a version with a Redfield scope combo for the RA? I bought my scope a few weeks ago for a really good deal. Vortex crossfire II 6-18x44 deadhold for a little more than the 4-12x scope.

Hoffmans in Newington CT was running a deal on the American with a scope for under $300. I don't recall the model scope. It was in the strange Navy camo pattern. In case you haven't heard of Hoffmans, its probably the largest retailer of guns in the Northeast. A huge store that is constantly packed just like 4 Seasons, except its got 10x the square footage.

Don

right but doesn't the savage model 10 or whatever it's called have the accutrigger?
i'm saying ruger took those designs and one-up'ed savage.
i also prefer the ruger magazine release....seems stronger.

I bought one last year and used it unsuccessfully for hunting season last fall. I have not done any load development with it yet but with Hornady's American Whitetail 150 grain, it will do 1 inch at 100 yards easily. I put a Redfield Revolution 3-9 on it which I think is a good combo.

I finally got out there to really zero in my rifle at 50 yards, then I went to 100. That was pretty much a first shooting that far, besides trying this rifle out in 30-06 last year. Only shot 2 bullets. I shot my first 4 rounds , then readjusted my scope as they seem a little right. The next 4 are to the left and still a little right. But overall, I am happy with this, and I'm sure I'll get better with it. IMAG1369.jpg IMAG1407.jpg

It's been a little over a year with this and I shot best 4 group ever last week. I think I have to adjust the scope just a little to the left as some other group are a little right also. I'm looking to try our hunting this year for my first time ever, so this should be good use for that. Not bad for an inexpensive rifle.
Edit: this was with cheap Perfecta 147g ammo find at Walmart.

20150702_144819.jpg

Last edited:
First time shooting this in 3-4 months with its new bipod. My best 3 shot group to date. Pretty happy with this inexpensive little guy! Now I just have to take it hunting later this year, for my first time ever.
20160220_141658.jpg
20160220_161219.jpg

I've got 2 Ruger Americans, a .223 ranch model and a 6.5 creedmoor predator model.

Both will turn in outstanding groups (sub 1 inch) at 100 yards.

I don't like the flimsy plastic stock much. Its really the low point of the gun. I though about putting a Boyd's stock on the 6.5 but it would probably make more sense to just sell it and buy a fancier gun if I cared enough. I've got other prettier rifles I can carry if I want to look snazzy so I probably won't bother. The 6.5 has probably become my favorite all around rifle round though.

The overall fit and finish of the guns is fair to poor. The .223's bolt has worn in enough to be pretty smooth feeling. The 6.5's bolt still feels like sandpaper.

It would be nice if Ruger offered either a wood or even better a reinforced plastic stock version. I'd pay up a bit and it would still be a good value rifle with a better stock for another $100 or even $200.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye Predator on order in .204 Ruger. I may sell the American Ranch in .223 since this would replace it as my coyote gun assuming I like it.

Back
Top Bottom