• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger American 7.62x 39 ?

I picked one up after watching several videos of people getting excellent results with steel cased ammo. Mine has been great with any ammo I've put through it.

I found the machining of the receiver and the trueness of the stocks to vary greatly from one unit to the next. I looked at 2-3 rifles before I found the perfect specimen. Shooters Outpost in NH got my business. $480 out the door as they say.

If it cant handle steel why bother.
Had a mini mauser years ago. Remington , russian import. Was not very satisfying . Accuracy was so so even with the higher end ammo.

this has been discussed ad nauseum
yes it will run berdan primers no problem
just buy the damn rifle you'll love it, or something is wrong with head

yay let's rehash the mini 30 story
it has insufficient firing pin extrusion for the deeper set russian primers
it's that simple and pathetic that ruger hasn't fixed it

Is it a new one or an older one? I always wanted a mini30 but was put off by mixed reviews about the steel cased ammo and reliability.
I bought it used in 2005. One of these days I will get around to getting the born on date from Ruger. It's fun, goes bang but as others have said not super accurate. Also an FID card gun

Last edited:
I bought it used in 2005. One of these days I will get around to getting the born on date from Ruger. It's fun, goes bang but as others have said not super accurate. Also an FID card gun

i thought FID card meant rifle cannot take detachable magazine? due to the whole "cannot accept more than 10 rounds" thing

i thought FID card meant rifle cannot take detachable magazine? due to the whole "cannot accept more than 10 rounds" thing

It was sold with a 5 round mag, but I may be incorrect about FID gun. Now that
I think about it I brought it down from NH AFTER I upgraded to LTCA. Comment above please disregard.

It was sold with a 5 round mag, but I may be incorrect about FID gun. Now that
I think about it I brought it down from NH AFTER I upgraded to LTCA. Comment above please disregard.
I picked up one of these recently and had it out to shoot for the first time. I've always shot semi-autos, I don't have a lot of experience with modern bolt actions other than 22's so not a lot to compare to. This appears to have a fair amount of slop in the bolt. Like halfway back it can rattle around pretty good. Is that normal for this rifle or is that just shady tolerances? Shoots fine and groups pretty nice at 100 yards with surplus Russian stuff.

It's a Ruger entry level bolt action. If it's grouping nicely for you at 100 yards with cheap ammo then you're doing just fine.

Just picked up a Ruger Mini 30 in SS for plinking/home defense. Truly a sharp looking rifle. It promises to be a lot of fun. So far, I've had the trigger job done (with stop) and worked the firing pin a tiny bit to get 0.043 protrusion and no "bump" where pin emerges from the bolt. I have a half case of Wolf to put through it, we'll see how it goes.

Just picked up a Ruger Mini 30 in SS for plinking/home defense. Truly a sharp looking rifle. It promises to be a lot of fun. So far, I've had the trigger job done (with stop) and worked the firing pin a tiny bit to get 0.043 protrusion and no "bump" where pin emerges from the bolt. I have a half case of Wolf to put through it, we'll see how it goes.
Let us know how you make out.

Back
Top Bottom