• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger .357 long lost or stolen?

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Very old story, but I have nothing else to do and you may or may not find it interesting. Feb 1985: I brought in from a dist. and transferred to a "Friend" a Ruger Security 6 blue .357 revolver S/N 161-531XX. Sept 1999: Friend had an issue with his wife and she went to the PD for a RO. The cops came to the house and relieved him of his 16 guns, one rifle, one shotgun and the rest handguns from .22LR to .44 Mag. and left a signed, dated receipt. When he got home, they kissed and made up and went to the PD to cancel the RO. The cops were good about it and told Friend that he could have his guns back if he just showed them his LTC. Friend had let his LTC expire, so no guns for him and off they went to Peter's BWH. I know of the alternatives, he did not, and I found out about this later. Jan 2000. Friend called me for help and wanted to stop paying the BWH for the storage. We went to the BWH where friend settled up the $$ and they transferred all the guns to me. When I logged the guns in, I was short the above Ruger. Called friend who just wanted to forget about the guns while he worked on "other problems". So here I sat with the guns. Jun 2000: I get a trace request on the Ruger which supposedly was used in a crime. Fess up. who has/had it? Jack

The BWH never had it. I have all the signed, dated paperwork showing what went from the PD to the BWH. Of all the guns, I'd pick this one as the best "Throw down". Jack.

Lemme just get the story straight:

It's documented out of private hands to the PD.
It's documented out of the PD to the BWH.
The BWH books it in and looses it?
Then it comes back 6mo later being used in a crime? Or is that a June 2020 trace?

I'd ask a lawyer, but I would have considered that gun lost up until it turned up in use without your permission, thats when you've realized it'd been stolen. My argument would be that up until that time, you'd assumed it either got destroyed at the BWH or is still sitting in a dusty box misfiled at the bottom of some god forsaken bin or top of some god knows shelf.

Again, the documents show that the Ruger DID NOT go to the BWH with the other guns. The buck stops at the PD. Jack.

Sorry jack, apparently having some reading issues.

I'd still call it stolen even though the police can't steal from you. Its use without permission outside of your possession and permission is what drives me to that conclusion. Up until that piece of knowledge came to you, the gun would have just been lost.

Sorry jack, apparently having some reading issues.

I'd still call it stolen even though the police can't steal from you. Its use without permission outside of your possession and permission is what drives me to that conclusion. Up until that piece of knowledge came to you, the gun would have just been lost.
They are not my guns, I'm just storing them for the owner who has lost interest in them. I need to keep them in case he is able to have them and wants them back. Something funny must have happened between the time that the PD took the Ruger and the trace request. Meanwhile, Little Jack has been more than happy to baby sit the other 15 guns. He took a big doe in Maine with the shotgun. Now, of course he has my 870 for shotgun for deer and turkey hunting. Jack.

They are not my guns, I'm just storing them for the owner who has lost interest in them. I need to keep them in case he is able to have them and wants them back. Something funny must have happened between the time that the PD took the Ruger and the trace request. Meanwhile, Little Jack has been more than happy to baby sit the other 15 guns. He took a big doe in Maine with the shotgun. Now, of course he has my 870 for shotgun for deer and turkey hunting. Jack.

I know they're not yours, but after sitting on them for 20 years it's hardly a loan either.

Glad to hear they're getting use, your hunting reports are always a welcome addition to the afternoon while I count down the days to freedom and freezing my dick off in a tree waiting for Bambi's dad.

A $10 pellet gun went missing from my collection and an brand new IWB 'Clinger' holster for my G-39....meh $70 hit. Could have been a lot worse if they went to P.D. 's 'bonded' warehouse.

Just for grins what would I be charged had the local PD not stored them in house for 23 months ?

I’m sitting on about 10 firearms from a RO seizure, oddly the local PD test fired them at their private range upon intake. I laughed and the detective laughed too when he told me.

Anyways, there are probably plenty of people with access to the firearms at the PD. Plenty of those people are scumbags like the rest of society.

Back
Top Bottom