• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 1911 Target and sight mounting question

I am researching getting a Ruger SR1911 Target (pn 6736) and I want to put a Sig Sauer Romeo 1 sight (pn SOL11005) using a Bowmar cut adaptor mounting plate from Sig Sauer (pn SOR1MK006). Will all of this go together with out any problems? Both Ruger and Sig Sauer say they are not sure.

Best to ask a gunsmith. Not sure i would want a red dot on the plate slid into just a bowmar cut in the slide.

Best to ask a gunsmith. Not sure i would want a red dot on the plate slid into just a bowmar cut in the slide.

A Bomar cut slide will have a single screw hole behind the dovetail, for the elevation adjustment screw.

Does the mounting plate use that screw hole?

Things like this are not always drop in. The parts may require a bit of careful filling to fit properly, my guess is that is why the manufacturers won't guarantee fit.

Because I am going to replace the sight anyway I opted for the less fancy and less expensive Ruger 1911 standard model (6700). I have decided that I cannot mount the sight directly on the slide because nether Sig Sauer or Ruger can tell me if it will work and I feel that the violent movement of the slide might cause problems for a Romeo 1 red dot sight mounted to it. I found another mounting system from Aimtech Mounting Systems that replaces the right grip and mounts the sight above the slide in a fixed position. The Romeo 1 uses a Picitinny rail mount and I am not sure but think that the Aimtech uses a Weaver mounting system. Is anyone familiar with the Aimtech APM-7 mount and can tell me which system it used. I tried calling Aimtech for several days last week and they don’t answer the phone and the mail box is full. I also tried email but they never got back to me. If it does have the Weaver mounting system does Sig Sauer sell an adaptor for the Romeo 1?

Also I have a lot of Alliant Promo powder I use in shotgun and for my 44-40 revolver. I found a recipe for 45 auto that utilizes Red Dot. Can I substitute my Promo for the Red Dot recipe. When I emailed Alliant they just replied that “there isn’t any tested load data for that recipe”. The recipe is for a 200gr. bullet with 4.5gr of Red Dot powder. Which gives a cartridge that is 831 FTS. I would think that this light a load would not pose a PSI problem but will it cycle the auto OK? I am only doing target shooting at 25 yards or less.

Any help would be appreciated. Below is what it looks like from the picture on the Aimtech site.

APM-7-300x213.jpg

I have a Sig Sauer Romeo 1 on my other target pistol (Ruger Mark IV) and figured I would keep everything as close to the same as possible.

That’s cool. I have a Vortex Venom that I’d let go for short money if you wanted to branch out. It’s new from Vortex, and I bought it because I like the Strikefire II on one of my ARs. I ended up putting a DeltaPoint Pro on the gun the Venom was on.

So I put a Fastfire 3 on a Ruger 1911 with the same sight cut as the 6700. I used the Burris mount designed for the Novak cut and with a little polishing on the bottom of the base it fit well and stood up just fine to more than a little shooting. Not the ideal solution, but it worked well enough. If you find the dot works for you, then maybe get the slide cut. Lower is much more better.

I'm fairly certain the sight cut on the "Target" model is called a "Kimber" cut and is kind of a modified Bomar cut , but definitely far from sure enough to be ordering parts.

I'd probably steer clear of that thing your looking at as well.

For those of you that are following this thread I have returned the Aimtech sight mount. I found that it interfered with the extraction of the spent brass and made it difficult to rack the gun. I got a new mount from Sig Sauer and mounted it directly on the slide.

I took it to the range today and it stayed put and once I had it zeroed in it worked great. Now if I could only fix the nut on the trigger I would have all 10X’s.

3IQwPyx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom