Ruger 1911 Commander .45 lightweight. Any experience?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
I'd like to hear anyone's experience with a Ruger 1911 .45 Commander Lightweight. Quality, reliability, ability to digest hollowpoints, etc.
I've heard a number of stories about Ruger quality and reliability (one of them mine, associated with a Lipsey's 10/22 that had to go back for major work out of the box).

Thanks

I'd like to hear anyone's experience with a Ruger 1911 .45 Commander Lightweight. Quality, reliability, ability to digest hollowpoints, etc.
I've heard a number of stories about Ruger quality and reliability (one of them mine, associated with a Lipsey's 10/22 that had to go back for major work out of the box).

Thanks
Had one for a year or two, fed only range ammo - not HP so no experience there. Good looking gun, I had zero issues with it and would probably still have it, but needed the money for something else.

Bought one a while ago, it’s been totally reliable with everything put through it.

Mine has an excellent light trigger, very accurate, and has been 100% reliable. A pleasure to shoot with mild recoil even with its light weight.

my father has a Ruger 1911 govt model. I’ve owned the lightweight commander in the past. They’re ok but not worth the current price tag. A Springfield can be had for significantly less and are better built. A Tisas 1911 can be found for under $400. Mine had a loose extractor and required I fit a new firing pin stop to is the extractor clocking. It was a $30 expense for an EGW oversize FP stop, but even w this the price of Tisas 1911 was well under $400.

the Ruger 1911s would be reasonable at $700 ish range. Not the current $900+ just no way. And its not an inflation issue as other options are significantly cheaper.

I have one. I'd have to look through my notes to give you an accurate round count. I had some issues early on mostly with 185grn rounds. Never an issue with 230grn. After about 200 rounds all the issues cleared up. It was fully reliable up to the approximately 1500 rnds I put through mine. The only other issue I had was the front sight took a walk on me. I shelved it to move on to other projects. But at some point in time in the near future I'm going to take care of that issue and drive on with it for most of the winter. It's not a bad gun and was worth the money I paid for it.. If there really asking $900 dollars I would look elsewhere. I think I paid around $700.

Gun prices are absurd right now. A used Remington Speedmaster 22 is approaching $600. A Marlin39A used is over a thousand.

I've had one for a couple of years picked it up used, only shoot 230gr reloads thru it never had any problems and shoots and feels good in the hand but a little more snappy than a full size 1911

No experience with the Ruger. But my Colt Combat Commander is one of the best guns I own. Feeds everything, excellent trigger, exceptionally accurate, easy to carry, etc.
Just an excellent pistol.

No experience with the Ruger. But my Colt Combat Commander is one of the best guns I own. Feeds everything, excellent trigger, exceptionally accurate, easy to carry, etc.
Just an excellent pistol.
I shot a colt combat commander last week, and you are not wrong. For me it was a great fit, I wish I could find one. What type of holster do you use when you edc yours?

I don't have any comments on Ruger 1911s as I don't have any experience with them. As others have suggested, you will feel more recoil in the lightweight models, but they do carry easier -- TANSTAAFL.

A few unsolicited bits of advice when examining a 1911. With the slide closed, push down on the barrel hood. There should be no movement in the barrel hood when you press down. If there is movement, skip that gun.

Lower the safety. With the safety lowered, put your thumb on top of the safety and press down. There should be no movement or float in the safety when it is lowered.

Check the operation of the grip safety. With the gun cleared, the safety down, press the trigger without depressing the grip safety. The hammer should not fall. Now grip the gun properly and press the trigger, the hammer should fall.

Similarly, check the operation of the thumb safety. With the hammer back and the safety on, pull the trigger. The hammer should not move. Now lower the safety -- the hammer better not fall. Now pull the trigger with the safety off, the hammer should fall.

I'm not a gunsmith and I didn't play one on TV, but I've shot a few 1911s.

Last edited:
I won one in 9mm but didn't keep it bc I wasn't going to carry it and I would rather have a full size 1911. I thought it was crude and clunky in its fit. It appeared to be inclined to nose dive ammo when loading it but I never shot it.

I shot a colt combat commander last week, and you are not wrong. For me it was a great fit, I wish I could find one. What type of holster do you use when you edc yours?
Milt Sparks Executive Companion. Old school leather, but quality.

Back
Top Bottom