Ruger 10/22's!!!!

I'm getting ready to go pull the trigger on Ruger 10/22. But there are just too many models to make choosing one easy. I'm leaning toward the bull barreled Target model, as I just love the way it looks and that's all I'll be using it for. (but no irons sights option is negative to me.)

So thought I'd ask what are your favorite models? And any thoughts or opinions on the 10/22 Target are most welcome.

Thx.
–A.

A lot of people like the Takedown model because of its ease of use. I have a standard carbine model - black synthetic stock, blued barrel/receiver. I am going to eventually upgrade to a nicer stock and put a bull barrel on it. If you don't plan on tinkering with it, the Target model will do you just fine. Pick up a decent optic and you are good to go.

If you like to tinker and can see yourself putting new parts on the gun, buy the cheapest model (or even a used one). In about an hour and a half you can find and order enough parts online to turn the gun into anything you want and have nothing be original to the gun except the receiver.
If you aren't into tearing apart your guns, just get which ever model suits your desired purpose the best. They are all tons of fun and good shooters.

I like the old models, hardwood or walnut stocks, metal butt plates and trigger guards, factory sling mounts and 18" bbls. Replaced the sights on one with peep sights the other had an old Weaver 3x scoope which shoots too well to replace.

They are great little plinkers and a great starting platform for hot rodding.
I bought the stripped down, no frills model since all I wanted was the receiver. I had already purchased the butler creek stock, a carbon fiber bull barrel and all the Volquartsen internal parts before I even bought the rifle. I brought the rifle home and within an hour or so, it looked like this. I still have the original stock and barrel in unfired condition if anybody is looking to spruce up an old warhorse.

12r.jpg

I got the carbine, wood stock. Love the hell out of it. I am looking to buy the Takedown too, it is the perfect survival rifle and comes with the Ruger bag. The only thing I can recommend is the auto bolt release and a trigger job. Other than that it's one of the best rifles made.

Sent from my POS iPhone

Have the 10/22 decked out and the SR22 long rifle to share mags!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352218817.913160.jpg

And on order:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352218976.756854.jpg

A J Bunting custom 10 22 bull pup.

I can't believe how late I came to the 10/22 party. I got my first one about two years ago. Don't know why I didn't figure it out before this.

For my second one, I bought just a new stripped receiver, and then added the barrel, stock, etc. that I wanted. They really are that easy to put together.

Buy a cheap one, and customize as you go.

3585nv7.jpg

Last edited:
I also agree with the buy it cheap and fit it as you want. I am on my 3rd 10/22 at this point. I converted my simple basic model to a liberty training rifle. I then say the take-down at a range and new it was something I wanted so I got one of those as well. I dropped a red dot on that and its my go to rifle for some simple range plinking.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated! Those are some awesome looking 10/22's, thanks for showing. Looks like starting with the basic carbine or a sporter and customizing seems like some excellent advise.

Will a custom bull barrel fit on the stock carbine or sporter stock? Seems like the barrel band would get in the way.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated! Those are some awesome looking 10/22's, thanks for showing. Looks like starting with the basic carbine or a sporter and customizing seems like some excellent advise.

Will a custom bull barrel fit on the stock carbine or sporter stock? Seems like the barrel band would get in the way.
There are basically 2 different barrels. .920 and the smaller one. Most stocks are made for one or the other. I built one from an old one and all that is stock is the receiver.
They are a realy fun, accurate and cheap gun to shoot.

I've had the sporter stocked version for....25 years now, the only .22 rifle I need. But I like that bull barrel version. I think everyone I know that shoots owns a 10/22. Cool rifle, no doubt.

I picked up a take down a few weeks ago and have taken it to the range twice. Fired maybe 150-200 rounds. I've had several problems with it not properly chambering rounds. Maybe I got a lemon or I messed something up because I've heard nothing but good things about them. Any thoughts anyone?

I picked up a take down a few weeks ago and have taken it to the range twice. Fired maybe 150-200 rounds. I've had several problems with it not properly chambering rounds. Maybe I got a lemon or I messed something up because I've heard nothing but good things about them. Any thoughts anyone?

What ammo? Did you clean & lube it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I picked up a takedown too a couple of weeks ago and have put through about 500 rounds with one hickup which I believe was the ammo.
Are you using factory mags? I did buy an aftermarket mag and noticed that rounds didn't chamber as smoothly as the ruger mags.

I was using American Eagle ammo but I did not clean it first. I took it right out and shot it. I have 2 rugar mags and one aftermarket. I'm going to give it a good cleaning and get some decent ammo. Also I did some research and I've heard people say that if you assemble the rifle while the bolt is closed you will pretty much destroy the extractor. I don't think I did this but I may have while playing with it

I would clean it and contact Ruger and see what they say. These rifles are generally very reliable.

The .920 bull barrel will not fit the standard taper barrel stock without modification/opening up the channel. You can put a taper barrel in a bull barrel stock but you will have a gap around it obviously. There are some stocks like the Boyd's Evolution that will work with either because it is completely free-floated. Check out rimfirecentral.com - you will learn more than you ever wanted and your wallet will drain quite fast afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom