• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 10/22

Just looking to get opinions from Ruger 10/22 owners out there. I will be picking one up in the near future and wanted advice as to whether I should get the standard barrel or the bull barrel. I will only be buying one, now and forever. I do not plan on attending Appleseed, not sure if that makes a difference, just want to have fun with it up to 100 yards. So it is either the standard 18.5" barrel with added Tech-Sights or a bull barrel with a scope. Help me decide! Thanks!

Just get a straight up Ruger 10/22 and go from there. That's the beauty of the 10/22 - you can start from basic and go from there...I'm not too thrilled with the new ones - too much plastic for my taste, though the receiver finish on the 2009 models looks interesting, (kind of like rhino-liner). Check out your local fun shops and see if there's an older one laying around. They can usually be had for $125.00 or so and will outlast you. Mine was built in 1983 and is still going strong...

Ya the stocks are lousy. I held the plain jane model 10/22RB and it felt cheap and like a toy gun. They had some other models with better stocks that felt more solid and had better butt pads on them, however, the better stocks are very narrow along the barrel. I actually liked the RB stock only because it had a wider stock along the barrel that was more comfortable to hold. Like anything else, with one likable feature you lose another...

I don't like any additional weight on my guns.

So, answering the original question, I would go with the standard barrel.

My 10-22 is 1975+ vintage, and actually has an awesome stock. Or, had as the case may be.

I actually recently replaced it with a Tapco tactical stock.
StockTapco10_22.jpg

As soon as I get an additional Eotech sight for it, it will be my .22 cal Ar-15 look alike.

Get the standard barrel. I have one with the bull barrel and it is basically only viable for shooting off a bench or bipod. Too freakin' heavy for offhand.

Which do you enjoy shooting more: A) iron sights or B) scope?

At what distance do you shoot more: A) 25 yards and under or B) greater than 25 yards?

Do you A) like your guns just the way they are, or B) like spending time and money customizing and upgrading your firearms?

Do you A) need to keep to a tight budget, or B) have money to spend?

If you answered A, grab the first 10/22 you find, slap a set of Tech Sights on it and be done with it. Blast away!

If you answer B, buy the first 10/22 you find and start researching your choice of .920 barrel, stock, scope, and bipod. Happy building!

If you answer C, all of the above, buy 2 rifles!!!

FWIW, my favorite 10/22 (I have several) is a 10/22-T, which has a factory .920 bull barrel and an upgraded factory stock, and I added Tech Sights. I know there is really no accuracy added from the upgraded barrel, but I got the "T" model because I really liked the feel of the factory stock, and I like the extra weight that the bull barrel adds. Also keep in mind that most after market stocks are designed for .920 barrels.

Thanks for the input guys. I went and got a standard barrel 10/22, specifically model K10/22DSP with American walnut stock and matte stainless finish. I got it at A.G. Guns & Ammo in Lowell. Talking with some of the guys there and elsewhere I was lead to believe that the bull barrel does not necessarily give gain to accuracy, but only to keep a cooler barrel for longer or more rapid firing sessions. What is the truth to this? Did I go wrong if my concern is accuracy? Is this true when shooting at 100 yards, but not say 25-50 yards?

I held a bull barrel rifle for a while and just couldn't see myself firing it without a bi-pod or off a rest, just to damn heavy...

So, now I have to make a decision again, scope or Tech-Sights...thoughts?

I bought my 10/22 about 1 day after learning about it on RimfireCentral.com. That was a few years ago. It was a 70s-vintage plain jane 10/22 with a Tasco scope on it. Just last week I got my Houge overmold stock and Green Mountain .920 barrel w/ a knock-off bipod. Shoots great. I recommend getting the cheapest one you see and building it your way.

I have the 10/22T with a scope. I like the extra weight and the look of the heavy barrel without sights. I'll be using it at the Appleseed shoot this weekend. We'll see how it does.

The beauty of the 10/22 is that it is very easy for anyone (no real skill needed) to make changes to the setup. I have a few 10/22's.
IMHO the bull barrel is more accurate, but probably not noticable under most conditions. My 2 favorites are a 10/22T (bull barrel) with the techsights. The gun has a good amount of weight to it, but I like that for target shooting. I also have a build in progress (receiver being painted). It has a whistepig barrel (awesome and lightweight), a kid trigger (there is no substitute) on a anschutz style synthetic stock. This will be my 'plate' gun predominantly.
The triggers on stock 10/22's (and all Rugers) leave alot to be desired. For my 10/22T I had Randy at CPC (sponsor on rimfirecentral.com) who does outstanding work on 10/22's.
The Kid trigger is quite expensive, but really nice.
I guess I am rambling. Rimfirecentral.com is an outstanding source of all knowledge needed for 10/22's (and other rimfires)

Back
Top Bottom