• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ruger 10/22

I searched for this question but I did not find a definite answer. I have a friend that wants to sell me a ruger 10/22. Can I buy this rifle with my FID or should I wait to buy it when I turn 21 in June and get my LTC?. As I understand I could only possess the 5rd and 10rd 10/22 mag's correct?

You didn't search well enough because there have been multiple threads on this topic.

The 10/22 is legal for an FID holder, but some stores will not sell it to you because they think that the mere existence of aftermarket hi-caps for it makes it a LTC gun. These are the same dealers who won't sell a large-capacity long arm to a LTC-B holder.

thanks, would a 10rd mag for the 10/22 be consider "HI cap"?

No. For a handgun or rifle, a large capacity feeding device is one that holds more than 10 rounds. The definition of large capacity magazines is in MGL Chapter 140 Section 121:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

full text is here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

Back
Top Bottom