• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 10/22

I NEED to pick one up pretty much just to target shoot. Is it worth getting the target model to start, or ??

I figure a 10/22 is as good as any for my first rifle.

Thanks.

I never had a 10/22 that wouldn't shoot. On the same note, I haven't had many......only five or six, but they all shot very well. NOW.......my target model can shoot the wings off a fly so to speak. It is the best shooting one I have ever owned. One hole groups as far as I have tried it at only 50 yards off bipod with scope. Never really tried it any further but one day I will. That rifle is boringly accurate. You should be well served with a regular sport model. You can always build it to suit your needs later on if you desire. Sky is the limit depending on how fat your wallet is as far as customization. Options are endless with a 10/22. No matter which you choose you will be good.

I love my 10/22 takedown any 10/22 would be fine. They eat everything and customize the crap out of it.

If you think you're going to trick it out, don't get a takedown because there are limited after market parts. Having said that, I have a takedown and have no regrets.

Agreed on the Takedown. I love mine, but maybe should have started with one I can customize more. The wife has had a great time with the 10/22, her first rifle experience, and great way to introduce someone to rifle shooting - she now likes to shoot my Mosin of all things.

I have yet to put a scope on my 10/22. Anyone have some inexpensive suggestions to get me in the game? Might help the OP too.

I have a 10/22 and love it... I let my friend and his daughter shoot it and they both loved it so much they went out and bought one the next day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

i bought a 10/22 Target model a few months ago. It is the stainless barrel with black lacquer stock. I purchased an inexpensive scope. It is ready to fire.........The problem I am having is that I bought it for the children and I like the looks of the gun so much, I don't want them to touch it!! So, to this day, it is in the safe, unfired!!

My target model wears a Leupold VX-1 rimfire 2-7x28. It's a perfect fit to the rifle and not terribly expensive. Right around 200. There are definitely cheaper scopes that will work quite well. Much to many to list though. A rimfire specific model would be ideal but not required. The Leupold works for me but everyone will have their favorite. Almost like the Ford or Chevy debate. Not much help when I read my post back.......oh well. If OP is local you are welcome to try my set up.

Buying the target model is a waste of money if you are willing to send the gun out. Here's why.

Rather than spend good money on an expensive 10/22 that still has a sloppy chamber and terrible trigger, you are better off buying a basic gun and having Connecticut precision Chamber work the gun.

The formula is this. Buy a basic 10/22. I'd suggest the cheapest version without a barrel band.

Send the gun out to CPC and have him do his $189 tune up. It sounds crazy to spend as much as the gun costs, but what you get back will be an entirely different gun. He recrowns the muzzle, sets the barrel back and recuts the chamber. Then he squares and trues up the bolt and finally does a trigger job which gets the pull down from about 7 lbs to 2.5 lbs.

It completely transforms the gun. In the end, you've got about the same money into this gun as you would into a fancy 10/22.

Then buy some tech sights and go do an appleseed.

Don

I have an older 100% stock one (metal trigger group, prob 20 years old) LOVE IT!!! Only mod is a 3x9x40 scope on it.

I want another to pimp out. So essentially I just need a receiver. Had one before this one, used to shoot 500 rounds a week.

Best .22lr in my opinion.

buy some tech sights and go do an appleseed.

And this.

I got the 10/22 with the synthetic stock a little while ago. Put on some tech sights and sling swivels and took it to an Appleseed out in Harvard. Its a great rifle right out of the box, but the leaf style rear sight is not my favorite.

I bought my first 10/22 last year and since then replaced everything but the receiver and bolt with aftermarket parts. I sold the original stock and barrel to help pay for other parts I wanted. If you think you may want to upgrade parts down the road, then just buy the regular 10/22 and you can replace it with aftermarket parts as you go or do it all at once like I did.

I bought a plain jane 10/22 for $199, added a Volquartsen hammer, a Hogue stock w/sling swivels and Tech sights. Although I could gussy it up a lot farther, it's REALLY accurate and one of my favorite rifles. The only problem is that my daughter wants to steal it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll make my decision in the next couple of weeks, and let you know what I decide.

I like the entry 10/22 I have - great time plinking at 50yds. However, both my kids prefer the M&P 15-22. Both are great. I could only imagine how much better the 10/22 would be with improvements.

Love my little 10/22, too.

I put a Center Point 3 - 9 scope from Dick's for ~$60 on it. It's as accurate as you'd expect, and varies depending on ammo selection. It seems to like Remington M22 pretty well.

Spend some time on rimfirecentral.com to see and read what can be done.

I have a 10/22 takedown that is really fun with just the iron sights. I have a Millet red dot on backorder that I'm interested to try.

Not to toot my own horn, but I've got a couple 10/22s up for sale in the FS forums here. I love 'em and wish I didn't have to sell 'em but... sh*t happens, as they say.

I love my 10/22-T, love the fit of the stock but the finish on the barrel seems particularly prone to rust. I shot in wet conditions, wiped it down, put the rifle in its case for the car ride home, and by the time I got home the barrel finish had already rusted.

If I could do it again, I'd buy a stock $199 10/22 and build it up myself.

I ended up gettin the target model a couple of days ago. I was going to get a basic model until I picked up the target, and loved the looks. It has the grey laminated stock. Hopefully I'll make it out shooting this weekend.

I almost bought one. Got a Marlin 795 instead for $100. Love it! Cheap, well built, and deadly accurate

I grabbed a Centerpoint scope from Wally World and put it on my Henry lever.
I can cover a 3 shot group with a penny out to 75 yards, highly recommend the CP scopes for plinkers.

I'm in the process of building a fairly low budget 10/22 optimized for use with sights.

As most of you probably know, with a scope, a short, stiff barrel is best.
For use with open sights, a longer barrel is helpful because it allows for a longer sight radius.

So with this in mind, I'm waiting on a 22 inch barreled gun to come in from Lipsey's. (Ruger item number 1150)

RU1022-22.jpg

On it, i'll install a set of Tech Sights and I'll drop the barrel and bolt off at CT Precision Chamber for a rework.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html

The ruger barrels are actually very good. Its the crowns and the chambers that are sloppy. CPC corrects for that.

Don

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22. Yes , buy some of them. Two or three is probably enough to start with ...

( I have one. But it's morphed into six different identities before I settled on the LTR concept ).

Back
Top Bottom