Ruger 10/22 trigger

I'm wanting the Timney trigger from the group buy now... And I want a new receiver so I build a custom 10/22 from scratch... (leaving my existing one stock.

If you plan to shoot iron sights, I also highly recommend Tech Sights:

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm

It's another $60, but between this and the VQ kit, you take a good rifle and make it a great rifle. Functionally speaking, it's basically a .22 caliber M1/M14. This plus a sling is the setup recommended by Appleseed.

I want those sights, the stock sights are awful. Are they easily installed, or is that a gunsmith job?

I want those sights, the stock sights are awful. Are they easily installed, or is that a gunsmith job?

Easy DIY install. The rear sight screws in where the scope mounts. The front sight is just a matter of drifting out the existing sight and tapping in a new one. So easy, even a cave man could do it.

Easy DIY install. The rear sight screws in where the scope mounts. The front sight is just a matter of drifting out the existing sight and tapping in a new one. So easy, even a cave man could do it.

Awesome! Thanks. Another project added to the list. They're adding up. [laugh]

I saw a colorful description of how to remove the front sight on another board

You need to support the barrel and action and have them clamped down tight before you begin whacking away. Spend a few dollars on a c-clamp or some other clamp. Secure the action to the sturdiest table in your home. Wrap the barrel with towels and make sure it's supported best you can. Ensure that you're hitting the front sight post left to right. Heat it up, if you can. Heat guns are inexpensive (I think I payed 15 for mine.) Heat that ****er up and beat it like you found it ****ing your wife.

I saw a colorful description of how to remove the front sight on another board

LOL. I didn't need to heat mine when I drifted the front sight out, just be sure you drift it out in the CORRECT direction (I forget which way, but you can look this up) On one rifle I got dumb and tried putting the sight in from the wrong direction, force it and damaged it, had to buy a $10 replacement from Tech Sights.

Yes. So when the bolt is locked back, you pull the charging handle and it slams into battery. It's awesome. Manipulating that piece of shit is awful. After a dremel it's a dream. Not too hard either. Just keep trying it until the piece is smooth. Rattail file works good.

Here's what you want it to look like.

azydagep.jpg

The right is after.

Thanks for this. Did it yesterday in under 5 minutes. Saved me $15! I didn't flatten the L-Shape part though. Not sure what that does.

I just filed and polished my hammer and sear last night effectively cutting my trigger pull weight in half, at least. Thanks ColdDay again, I'm now up to $55 in savings over buying parts I didn't need because of this thread. That's literally almost 3 years of Green membership on NES. Membership pays for itself on here.

Agreed. I mentioned Kidd earlier in the thread as I have his single stage trigger group, holy s*** is that nice. But it is fairly expensive so many people would rather just replace/polish the sear and hammer for an improved trigger over the factory trigger which is definitely a great alternative. Only reason I spent close to $200 on the trigger was that I had a $100 amazon gift card so it didn't cost me too much money. Otherwise I probably would have went the other route.

I went with the Volquartsen bolt release and target hammer, extended mag release (I have the original that gets pushed up into the receiver), shim kit (still being shipped) and a Volquartsen bedding system for the Boyd stock. Firgures that I'm working straight through the next 5 days[sad2]

Don't forget the bolt buffer, it really quiets the action down and gets rid of the 'clack-clack'. You can make one yourself from a nylon bolt from home depot or buy one, there are several brands, I think the tuffer buffer is the best value at 3 for $12 free shipping http://www.tufferbuffer.com/

Don't forget the bolt buffer, it really quiets the action down and gets rid of the 'clack-clack'. You can make one yourself from a nylon bolt from home depot or buy one, there are several brands, I think the tuffer buffer is the best value at 3 for $12 free shipping http://www.tufferbuffer.com/

I searched 2 Home Depots yesterday for a 1/4-20x3 nylon bolt and neither one carries them.

I searched 2 Home Depots yesterday for a 1/4-20x3 nylon bolt and neither one carries them.

I've never actually bothered looking as the nearest Home Depot is 30 min away and I'm lazy. I've got a Volquartsen in 1, a Pro-Mag in another and a spare tuffer buffer in case one of the others wears out/gets lost

I've never actually bothered looking as the nearest Home Depot is 30 min away and I'm lazy. I've got a Volquartsen in 1, a Pro-Mag in another and a spare tuffer buffer in case one of the others wears out/gets lost

You may be lazy but I'm cheap. A .75 cent buffer vs a $9 +shipping buffer is a no brainer.

w my first 10/22 i was dead-set on lightening the trigger. after shooting it for a while i got comfortable w the stock trigger and have never changed them. just my experience.

the 10/22 bolt release is annoying though so i always swap that out for a normal release (i.e., drops bolt by just pulling the charging handle back, not needing to push the release tab up simultaneously)

For short money, get a Volquartsen target hammer (~$30) and if you want to go a little further use the link that ColdDayInHell posted. Plenty of better and more expensive options out there but this is the best bang for your buck IMO

Yes. Just swapping the hammer to the VQ one makes a big difference.

Yes. I hated that sound , much better now.

I just filed and polished my hammer and sear last night effectively cutting my trigger pull weight in half, at least. Thanks ColdDay again, I'm now up to $55 in savings over buying parts I didn't need because of this thread. That's literally almost 3 years of Green membership on NES. Membership pays for itself on here.

Beer will do, thanks.

Home Depot upc: 030699163885

CrownBolt / EverBilt 1/4" x 3" nylon coarse thread 16388

Would rep you for good info but, Home Depot gets you a neg.

+1 -1 = 0 [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom