• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 10/22 trigger

I've never messed with the bolt release. Is it worth it?

What does it do? prevent you from having to hold it that button to make the bolt go forward?

I did mine myself. Lightened it by about 60%. Haven't tried a gauge on it but it's really light.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122386&highlight=cletus+hungwell

Did it years ago with minimal gunsmithing knowledge. Almost took too much off [rofl].

I did mine as well. I went a bit on the light side, so as not to "take too much off", but now might revisit that. The worst that can happen is you overdo it, and buy a replacement.

1. 10-22 LTR help
  2. The Liberty Training Rifle

If you plan to shoot iron sights, I also highly recommend Tech Sights:

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm ...

I was also thinking about the Tech Sights, and there was talk of putting together a "group buy" for them. My eyes are getting older, and I am thinking for around the same money, I can just get a regular 4X scope which will let me see a little further out.

I might try it on mine. So with the mod, you can just slide the bolt, and it goes forward on it's own, without having to hold in that little tab?

exactly. you can dremel off the tab, or buy the release for short money.

next to my Garand, my 10-22 is my favorite rifle to shoot. Due to .30 cal ammo costs, it gets shot a lot more too

I might try it on mine. So with the mod, you can just slide the bolt, and it goes forward on it's own, without having to hold in that little tab?

I kind of half-did mine. You're supposed to make it this triangular/heart shape if I remember it right. I was a bit conservative in my metal removal. It works well for me like that. You still have to pull, but it goes a lot easier.

For short money, get a Volquartsen target hammer (~$30) and if you want to go a little further use the link that ColdDayInHell posted. Plenty of better and more expensive options out there but this is the best bang for your buck IMO

Good advice; probably the least expensive BIG improvement you can make in a stock 10/22

I've never messed with the bolt release. Is it worth it?

What does it do? prevent you from having to hold it that button to make the bolt go forward?

Yes. So when the bolt is locked back, you pull the charging handle and it slams into battery. It's awesome. Manipulating that piece of shit is awful. After a dremel it's a dream. Not too hard either. Just keep trying it until the piece is smooth. Rattail file works good.

Here's what you want it to look like.

azydagep.jpg

The right is after.

Here's another vote for a Brimstone tier 2 trigger job. Also check out the Que bolt rework after the trigger job. I bought my 10/22 this winter and both the trigger job and bolt work are on my list. Short money too.

I bought one of these when I went nuts building my "ultimate" 10/22. It's nice for sure, but compared to the trigger on my 40+ year old carbine with the $30 VQ hammer, it's not worth the $270 premium unless you have very, very specific performance demands. Also, I've noticed my KIDD trigger sometimes sticks and doesn't reset (had to send it back to KIDD once already for this).

My last two triggers where done by Ct. precision chambering, reasonable price for a damn nice trigger and quick turnaround. They don't want the whole gun, just the trigger group so no FFL bs. was well worth the money. while at it since the gun is in pieces send the bolt down to, have them do their magic to it.

http://www.ct-precision.com/

For short money, get a Volquartsen target hammer (~$30) and if you want to go a little further use the link that ColdDayInHell posted. Plenty of better and more expensive options out there but this is the best bang for your buck IMO

Agreed. I did the Volq hammer in mine and it is cheap and works great. Would highly recommend it to anyone not looking to break the bank. Did the auto bolt release mod myself with a dremel and that helped ease of function as well.

I bought one of these when I went nuts building my "ultimate" 10/22. It's nice for sure, but compared to the trigger on my 40+ year old carbine with the $30 VQ hammer, it's not worth the $270 premium unless you have very, very specific performance demands. Also, I've noticed my KIDD trigger sometimes sticks and doesn't reset (had to send it back to KIDD once already for this).
I did the $100 kit on one of mine a few years ago and have had no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Spent nickel plated 40/.45 casing JB-welded to the stock charging handle for another cool dirt-cheap mod

View attachment 97519

View attachment 97522

I also did this, and one on my mag release.

I did the bolt release myself and it works, but every now and then it would hang.

I bought the VQ kit with the hammer and it works 100% and the trigger is better. Well worth it. I think it was Midway had it on sale also for $10 off.

Well, as long as we're drifting from the OP's original question[wink]...

I absolutely hate... HATE the stock mag release.

I bought and installed an after market one that was only slightly better than OEM... looked like this...

Wasn't happy with that, and replaced it with a Power Custom extended mag release...

Love it!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...azine-release-ruger-10-22-aluminum?cm_vc=U112

Spent nickel plated 40/.45 casing JB-welded to the stock charging handle for another cool dirt-cheap mod

View attachment 97519

View attachment 97522

I kind of like that.

Is there enough clearance to remove the whole bolt handle and guide rod assembly if needed?

I agree, I have installed the target hammer on two 10/22's and it makes a very nice trigger pull.

Yes. So when the bolt is locked back, you pull the charging handle and it slams into battery. It's awesome. Manipulating that piece of shit is awful. After a dremel it's a dream. Not too hard either. Just keep trying it until the piece is smooth. Rattail file works good.

Here's what you want it to look like.

azydagep.jpg

The right is after.

Just did this to our rifles. Amazing the difference, no more frustation.

The 10/22 is simply a gateway gun. What you did was buy yourself a drug.
"Oh Gee.. I spent $189 on a 10/22, I am not going to spend $300 on a trigger!!" You say to yourself, and you mean it.

Then you spend 2 hours and do a trigger job. And life is better.
And you think "Gee, if I did it this well... I wonder.." and you sent the trigger to KIDD and have them modify it.
And then you think "Gee.. if they did THIS with stock parts, maybe that $190 trigger from KIDD is worth it..."
And then you think "Gee.. each step on the trigger was worth it.. I wonder if that purty $45 mag release is worth it" And then it is. Of course you choose to ignore that you currently have $250 into the trigger on a $190 gun.

And then you think "Gee.. that trigger is awesome, and that bolt release is freaking genius. I wonder.. if.. maybe that stainless barrel is worth it.." And it is.
And then.. and then.. and then.. next thing you realize is that you have a $700 10/22 that you bought for $190 and a pile of spare parts and think "Gee.. if I buy a new receiver and a couple nuts and bolts I can have ANOTHER 10/22.. I'll just make it a beater. Yup, that's what I"ll do. And maybe I'll try that Timney trigger."

3 years will pass.. you'll have eleven 10/22s and think to yourself.. "Hey.. people seem to like those AR-15s. I'll go buy a basic beater M&P 15 ORC."

MARK MY WORDS.

"Oh Gee.. I spent $189 on a 10/22, I am not going to spend $300 on a trigger!!" You say to yourself, and you mean it.

And you think "Gee, if I did it this well... I wonder.." and you sent the trigger to KIDD and have them modify it.
And then you think "Gee.. if they did THIS with stock parts, maybe that $190 trigger from KIDD is worth it..."
And then you think "Gee.. each step on the trigger was worth it.. I wonder if that purty $45 mag release is worth it" And then it is. Of course you choose to ignore that you currently have $250 into the trigger on a $190 gun.

And then you think "Gee.. that trigger is awesome, and that bolt release is freaking genius. I wonder.. if.. maybe that stainless barrel is worth it.." And it is.
And then.. and then.. and then.. next thing you realize is that you have a $700 10/22 that you bought for $190 and a pile of spare parts and think "Gee.. if I buy a new receiver and a couple nuts and bolts I can have ANOTHER 10/22.. I'll just make it a beater. Yup, that's what I"ll do. And maybe I'll try that Timney trigger."

3 years will pass.. you'll have eleven 10/22s and think to yourself.. "Hey.. people seem to like those AR-15s. I'll go buy a basic beater M&P 15 ORC."

MARK MY WORDS.

I'm in trouble. I have an extra handguard and front sight for an AR and I'm already like "we'll, I'm most of the way there, might as well pick up a lower..."

MARK MY WORDS.

It's like you're reading my G*d damn mind...

Back
Top Bottom