Ruger 10/22....OK for FID card? Tactical? etc

GlockJock

NES Member
Shockingly enough (not), I talked to maybe 7 different people (including 2 gun shops and one veteran state police veteran)...got 7 different answers so then I realized why did I bother asking ANYONE else other than on NES...
Friend's son (19) wants to get his own rifle (after using Dad's all these years). The kid has his heart and eyes on a Ruger 10/22, which I'm told he CAN buy due to an exemption in the FID license law which allows the R-10/22 with a 10 round mag...Yes/No?......Can it be a tactical style also (like the bottom pic) but only 2 add-on items, otherwise it's AWB? Does it fall under any other Hitler/Himmler/Eichmann ridiculousness??

ruger-10-22-models.jpg

350453_01_ruger_10_22_w_archangel_kit_640.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it's NO, as it's capable of accepting "hi-cap" mags. I think that's the key word.. but someone more knowledgeable than I will know for sure

Black letter of the law is that EVERY semi-auto with an external magazine is "large capacity" (LTC required) as they are all "capable" of accepting a large capacity magazine.

GCAB purposely kept the 10/22 OFF the large capacity roster and they consider it a low-capacity (FID required) rifle.

Many shops won't sell them to FID holders.

In any case, no you can't add a banana mag to the rifle and let a 19 yo own it or even possess it by himself, even if the mag is pre-ban.

A DA could easily jack up someone with any semi-auto which takes an external mag if all they had was a FID card.

Black letter of the law is that EVERY semi-auto with an external magazine is "large capacity" (LTC required) as they are all "capable" of accepting a large capacity magazine.
GCAB purposely kept the 10/22 OFF the large capacity roster and they consider it a low-capacity (FID required) rifle.
Many shops won't sell them to FID holders.
In any case, no you can't add a banana mag to the rifle and let a 19 yo own it or even possess it by himself, even if the mag is pre-ban.
A DA could easily jack up someone with any semi-auto which takes an external mag if all they had was a FID card.

And there's the confusing/twisted part, Len (gee, a confusing gun law? In MA? Shocking!), but let me see if I can wade through the MA muck and mire and help this kid out with his FID purchase ability :
"GCAB purposely kept the 10/22 OFF the large capacity roster and they consider it a low-capacity (FID required) rifle."
OK, so someone on Berlin Hill decided that EVERY semi auto capable of accepting over ten is illegal... Oh, but not the 10/22., which is capable of accepting more than ten, and is therefore not low capacity, but they'll "allow" you this one even though it flies against their own law? .. Why?
I mean, ok, so the kid can't have a threaded/suppressed/pistoled/banana clipped Ruger 10/22...BUT even though it's capable of doing everything that our law doesn't want you to do, we'll "let you have this one to appease you cuz there are so many 10/22s out there. And yes, you can switch to a pistol grip, but don't suppress the flash or attach Grampy's bayonet to it"...etc..

What I'm getting at is the "why this 10/22 exception"? Did more than one member of the Gun Control Advisory Board own stock in Ruger or something?
I'm just trying to figure this out and put logic behind it. Now, granted I've been a member here long enough to know that any sentence that contains the words "Massachusetts Gun Law" and "logic" should be banned from NES, but...

I mean, isn't this rule sorta like saying "EVERY revolver capable of accepting more than 5 is banned.. (but zee Fuhrer vill let you own zee S&W686, to throw you a bone while we bone you on the rest of your 2nd Amendment right) "

Is this basically what this comes down to Len? Or am I missing something - other than a few of my rapidly aging brain cells... [emoji6]

Last edited:
There are probably 10K 10/22s owned by FID holders BEFORE the law passed in 1998. If determined as a large-cap gun, all those people became felons on 10/21/1998. That was what drove the decision to exempt it.

Meanwhile S&W came out with the 15-22 and it was added to the large capacity roster! Logic doesn't apply other than the fact that the gun was developed post-1998.

It's all very arbitrary.

And having seen an ADA try to convict someone on the large capacity law last week, by fabricating a BS story that SKSs are large capacity (11 rds +1) and their stripper clips (alleging they hold 11 rds too) with the help of a MSP ballistics "ex-spurt", I'd look at any semi-auto possession (with external mag) with a FID as a risky business in MA.

There are probably 10K 10/22s owned by FID holders BEFORE the law passed in 1998. If determined as a large-cap gun, all those people became felons on 10/21/1998. That was what drove the decision to exempt it.

Meanwhile S&W came out with the 15-22 and it was added to the large capacity roster! Logic doesn't apply other than the fact that the gun was developed post-1998.

It's all very arbitrary.

And having seen an ADA try to convict someone on the large capacity law last week, by fabricating a BS story that SKSs are large capacity (11 rds +1) and their stripper clips (alleging they hold 11 rds too) with the help of a MSP ballistics "ex-spurt", I'd look at any semi-auto possession (with external mag) with a FID as a risky business in MA.

That story with the SKS is amazingly unreasonable. It was obviously designed to hold 10 :/

As to the whole 10/22 being exempt thing, this is one of those places where the letter of the law doesn't match the spirit of the law. It's the same thing with lots of shotguns being sold with magazines larger than 5 rounds, even though that breaks the letter of the law. The spirit of the AWB is this - ban guns that seem scary. The 10/22 isn't a scary gun. A trap gun with a 6 round tube is also not a scary gun. Hence, even though they fit the letter of the ban, they get ignored. On the other hand, a M&P 15-22 (when it was first released) was clearly NOT a large capacity rifle - but it is a scary gun, so it goes on the list. If the authors of the AWB could, they probably would have just said "Fudd guns are OK, other guns are not", because that is really what they were trying to do and that is what the lists/enforcement reflects.

As an alternative to the 10/22, if the kid can't find anyone that will transfer one to him, (Though there has to be someone willing to part with one on an eFA10 out there somewhere) look into a Springfield/ Savage semiauto tube-fed .22 rifle. One of my favorite .22 rifles is the old Springfield tube-fed that will cycle .22lr and .22 long in semiauto mode. For .22 short or CB you just push the cocking knob in after each round is chambered and you work it like a straight-pull bolt action. I haven't shot it in a while but I believe the tube will hold 15 .22lr or long, and 18+ .22 short. Fun rifle that's pretty accurate and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom