• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 10/22 Custom Build

I just registered to this forum today so I am posting pictures of the Ruger 10/22 I just recently finished building. This is my first completely custom gun that I have built so tell me what you guys think.

I bought a stock Ruger 10/22 carbine in order to strip it for parts, primarily just the frame of the receiver (legally the part labled the gun) and the trigger group housing. Turns out when I was shopping around, for an aftermarket receiver they would have cost hundreds more than the whole gun itself.

The following are some of the major tuneups that I did to this rifle:

-Adams & Bennett Barrel Long Rifle .920" Diameter Bull, 1 in 16" Twist rifling 18" Blue. I love the look and feel of the heavy bull barrel, it makes the gun a bit nose heavy which really helps to increase its accuracy eliminating nose wobble during shooting in the standing position.

-Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release which eliminated that pain in the butt mechanism that operated the stock bolt release. If anyone has ever used a 10/22 they know what I am talking about. With this upgrade all that you need to do in order to release the bolt is pull back lightly on the charging handle.

-Volquartsen Target Hammer which reduced the trigger pull from 7.5 lbs to around 2 lbs or less (I don't have a gauge) which makes target shooting a breeze.

-Tactical Solutions Predator Stock Ruger 10/22 .920" Barrel Channel Laminated Wood Midnight Black. This stock is awesome I absolutely love it, fits like a glove in your hand and weighs next to nothing. The barrel is all the weight of the gun which keeps the gun nose heavy. Built into the design of the stock is a separation between the fore grip and the barrel which does a great job of free floating the .920 bull barrel.

Scope:
-RWS 4-12x magnification x 50 mm lens, the cross hair is an illuminated Mildot Reticle
Custom3.jpg

Custom1.jpg

Custom2.jpg

Custom4.jpg

This is the first target I used after sighting in the rifle as best I could free hand without a proper stand or sandbag. 10 shots with the Federal ammunition at 50 yards.

Federal.jpg

I tried 2 different types of ammo to try to see what my barrel would like best (Winchester Super X and Federal Gold Medal). The Winchester ammunition was generally inconsistent and my barrel likes the Federal a lot more (my wallet does not). I have already put thousands of rounds through the barrel and I am quite pleased with its performance.

Last edited:
Nice 22 Danrk!! I'm going next week to purchase my ruger and can't wait to start modifying it!!

Welcome to the forum. Now I have never seen a gun more "Righty" in my life. I wouldn't even attempt shooting that thing.. Good luck, it looks nice.

Great shooting, nice 10/22 - glad you found the board - seems like you will fit in perfectly :)

Now that is a great shooting .22! The only things I would add would be an extended mag. release and some preban mags.
All in all a great build!

Rick I was thinking the same thing, I have been toying with the idea of using a Tactical Solutions extended magazine release that extends and contours around the trigger frame (thinking silver). And in addition to 2 10 round standard rotary mags I do have a 25 round high cap mag (banana style) but I have found that it does not feed nearly as well as the Ruger mags. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Hey Underwhere, for barrels I would not hesitate to recommend the Adams & Bennett Barrel Ruger 10/22 22 Long Rifle .920" Diameter 1 in 16" Twist 18" Blue. I got it from midway usa for just $113, not bad at all for the amount of performance it delivers. I bought it based off of the 18 glowing reviews it received on the site. The only bullets that it does not take is CCI Stinger ammunition.

Here is the site I used take a look:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=305251

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
That is so sweet. Being LH sucks when you look at something as nice as that knowing you couldn't shoot it.[crying]

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Nice looking 10/22 you put together. I've found these somewhat of a slight addiction (6 or 7 later). Have thought about that stock design for a later build myself. Those A&B bbls are a great bang for the buck just like the GM's (GM makes the A&B I believe). Try different ammo and those groups will tighten up and you'll likely see that 50yd pattern at 100. :) Keep building!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Nice looking 10/22 you put together. I've found these somewhat of a slight addiction (6 or 7 later). Have thought about that stock design for a later build myself. Those A&B bbls are a great bang for the buck just like the GM's (GM makes the A&B I believe). Try different ammo and those groups will tighten up and you'll likely see that 50yd pattern at 100. :) Keep building!

Yeah the target posted on this page is the very first target I shot with the rifle after attempting to sight the gun as best I could without a proper rest. All I was using as a stand was my hand. If you check out the thread called "I can make modern art" in the general forums you can see some more up to date targets shot with this rifle that are far superior to the one pictured here. And like you said The A&B barrel is amazing, I would definitely put it on another gun if I were to build a new one.

Back
Top Bottom