• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger 10/22 & 10+ Magazines

I am looking to buy my first gun soon and I am thinking of the Ruger 10/22 largely because of the inexpensiveness of the gun and of course the ammo. My question is related to the Mags...

A.) Can we buy magazines with more than 10 rounds?
B.) Is it legal if the magazines are made before the ban went into effect?
ii.) if so, does anyone know where I can buy them

Thanks

I am looking to buy my first gun soon and I am thinking of the Ruger 10/22 largely because of the inexpensiveness of the gun and of course the ammo. My question is related to the Mags...

Thanks

I take it you are from Mass correct? Then my next question is; do you have a class A license? If you do then you are indeed able to purchase magazines in excess of 10 rounds, but yes the only catch is that it must be a pre-ban mag. As far as places to pick them up, you should check out the classifieds here on the forums, every now and then someone will post some 10/22 mags. I could be wrong but I believe someone also told me that Zero Hour Arms also carries pre-ban mags for the 10/22.

Dan

Thanks

The below is my understanding - keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer.

The restrictions on high capacity magazines are not caliber-dependent. If it holds more than 10 rounds, it's high capacity - the fact that it's a 10/22 magazine is irrelevant.

Yes, you can buy high-capacity magazines, provided they are pre-ban and you are appropriately licensed.

Several local stores periodically get the older ones... although they are mostly the Ram Line magazines which (from what I've heard) are crap. People call them "jam line." A strong word of caution though - very few 10/22 magazines are dated, so it's very easy for some purveyor to tell you that it is pre-ban when it is not. YOU are responsible for making sure that you are compliant. So my two cents - don't even consider buying post-ban new 10/22 magazines - it's a felony just to possess them.

Thanks guys, Yes I am LTC Class A Hunting and Target. I rather not risk it so I will stick with the 10 rd mags. Thanks.

Our mag capacity laws are stupid , etc ....

But , the 10/22 high caps aren't so great anyway. Put an extended mag release on it if it doesn't have the new factory installed upgrade already , and fill your pocket with Ruger 10 rounders.

BTW , mine is my new-favorite-old-gun-I never-appreciated-enough. I let it ride bone stock for several years , and liked it. But I got " modification fever " and am newly re Loving it.

I take it you are from Mass correct? Then my next question is; do you have a class A license? If you do then you are indeed able to purchase magazines in excess of 10 rounds, but yes the only catch is that it must be a pre-ban mag. As far as places to pick them up, you should check out the classifieds here on the forums, every now and then someone will post some 10/22 mags. I could be wrong but I believe someone also told me that Zero Hour Arms also carries pre-ban mags for the 10/22.

Dan

Class B required for large capacity rifle. Class A for rifle or pistol[wink]

Cool.

On mine I drilled & installed sling swivels , and put a 2 piece .mil style sling on it. It improves my shooting hugely.

The bolt release / bolt "hold open" plate is , to me , the biggest drawback on design. I have ben seeing the internet " Auto release modification " for years. Finally did it. 15 minutes with a dremel and : Yes , total upgrade for the whole platform. Major improvement.

I have 45 year old eyes. I had mine scoped for a long time , and got bored of that , went back to iron sights ( on almost everything I own ) and found I really do not like the factory sights. I ordered a set of Tech-Sights. It'll increase the sight radius by around 8 inches and give me an AR15 style sight picture. They oughta be here in a few days.

But that's it. No more. ... maybe a little bit of trigger work .... Auto bolt release , better sights , shooting sling. Fun.

You can make a nice '20 round' mag by gluing two 10 round mags together, you can use a little plastic connector that is made for it, or just use some Gorilla glue or epoxy.
It only take a second to drop the mag and flip it over. It's really quicky with an extended mag release. The new Rugers have an extended mag release button that comes from the factory, the old ones didn't.

Tactical Solutions makes the best mag release for the 10/22 i ever seen . Not only is it Functional but it makes the 10/22 look awesome. It looks like the breakopen lever from a ruger #1. You can push out with the end of your fingers and the mags drop away . Look it up and buy one.

Back
Top Bottom