• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RUGER SFAR 🦅

i posted my results in the group buy thread, do not see many others sharing. i am ok with what i get from it.
I will go check it out.

Unless you want to post your results in the SFAR thread.

:)
i posted there about 2 real issues - the handguard needs to be dremeled a bit to eradicate possibility for gas block to hit it.
it is really a paper thin gap there as is, not too great of a design.
other than that, it is a good rifle, works as it should, mine had no issues.

remembered the second. :) the second issue is the hole in the handguard is too large to properly catch a 2 point qd sling connector. very odd thing.
not a big deal, as i can connect 2pt sling to itself to become a 1 point sling, but, still, an oddity.

ps. it is me who is lazy, not you. :)

Last edited:
remembered the second. :) the second issue is the hole in the handguard is too large to properly catch a 2 point qd sling connector. very odd thing.
not a big deal, as i can connect 2pt sling to itself to become a 1 point sling, but, still, an oddity.
Interesting - I have the opposite problem. I can't get a QD into the holes in the handguard, so I added an MLOK QD mount.

I haven't posted photos yet, because I haven't made time to zero it. I, too, am lazy.

Is the buy still going on?

I will have to send a check because I cancelled my PayPal last week after their latest anti-American BS. Not sure why a gun forum is still using PayPal...

Is the buy still going on?

I will have to send a check because I cancelled my PayPal last week after their latest anti-American BS. Not sure why a gun forum is still using PayPal...
Yes.

Almost everyone who has confirmed has received their rifle. I just need to pass the info on to our FFL if a new person wants in.

I wish the word spread out more that AR10 is not a standardized platform. That's why if you want one, I highly recommend a factory-built one. Ruger makes very well-built ARs, especially for their price point.

Even using matching uppers, lowers, and parts, they’re far more finicky with regards to cycling reliability. Buffer springs, weights, gas blocks and gas system lengths can all contribute to cycling issues. This is true for AR-15s as well, but to much less a degree. What ammo and bullet weight you’re using can also have a dramatic effect. Going from 125gr to 177gr is adding (almost) an additional 5.56 pill to the equation. Adjustable gas blocks should be mandatory and complete Aero uppers don’t come with them…

I just realized I’m not green anymore. The hell happened?!? Wish I saw this thread sooner, would have absolutely jumped on the group buy, which would have also made me realize my green-ness had lapsed as well.

Are people loving this rifle? 16" or 20"? Sub $1k on GB right now, seems like a bargain.

Anybody having issues?

Are people loving this rifle? 16" or 20"? Sub $1k on GB right now, seems like a bargain.

Anybody having issues?
i have 16" as 20" i have in a heavy version ar10.

rifle is fine, only real issue with it - which is not really even an issue - a very tight tolerance between handguard and a gas block, so gas block needs to be perfectly aligned - or some material from handguard can be dremeled off, if you want to ensure guaranteed absence of contact between gas block and handguard.

bolt seems to function fine, it is an odd looking one - a ar15 form factor, but in .308. some were raising concern about its longevity, dunno, it all 'just works'.
it is a very nice very light .308 rifle, i would think 16" of it makes more sense - but like other said, 20" version is also just fine.

the lightest ar10 you can make - on a faxon 16" pencil barrel and light bolt, etc - will be about 1.5-2lb heavier than that sfar. :)

the only mod my sfar has now is this - and it helped, actually, as with my own reloads it kicks a bit.

Yes, handguard needs some grinding to not touch gas block on mine as well. Put maybe 500rnds through it so still fairly new but no real issues. Stuck case a couple times but I blame the ammo. Steel case a couple times, and then some shitty "American munitions" branded ammo that had alot of dud primers and stuck case twice. Could also be the lack of cleaning

I’m guessing that makes the recoil a factor. Should have at least given it a heavy barrel
Supposed to be light, from most people I've heard, although the local dealer is selling his since he has rotator cuff issues and said it is still a bit too much.
I forgot about this thread.

The SFAR is a nice rifle.

#BROCtober
#BROCtober. [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]
heh, ruger prevented that - sfar exists in .308 only. :)
If they made it in 6.5cm, I might consider it. I don't shoot anything bigger anymore due to a shoulder injury. OK, and I'm getting old and wimpier, too.

I've only zero'd mine so far but i did have a stuck casing/double feed issue. Perhaps due to the igman ammo i was using?

sfarzeroresize.jpg

If they made it in 6.5cm, I might consider it. I don't shoot anything bigger anymore due to a shoulder injury. OK, and I'm getting old and wimpier, too.
i posted link to ebay for that rubber shoulder thing - it works very well. at least does not leave bruises after it is installed.

Back
Top Bottom