• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RUGER SFAR 🦅

Not anymore homey!
fun, i see that on the web site.
do not see how to buy an upper only, though. it also only shows 20" for a barrel, it is not great.
it is a small light rifle, it needs to be 16"

if you want one - i have a 20" aero one on sale in classifieds. it is not cheap, though, so, not many offers. it shoots very well, sub-moa.
I’ll take a look.

I’m still recovering from x-mass and my recent build((s) plural)

fun, i see that on the web site.
do not see how to buy an upper only, though. it also only shows 20" for a barrel, it is not great.
it is a small light rifle, it needs to be 16"
When I mentioned the upper I was referring to an upper for an AR10. I should have mentioned that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger starts selling SFAR uppers later this year.

When I mentioned the upper I was referring to an upper for an AR10. I should have mentioned that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger starts selling SFAR uppers later this year.

I have to admit after all my years shooting. I’m not a Ruger fan.

Some .22’s sure.

But in general not a fan of anything by them which are center fire.

Change my mind?

ETA. I shoot 2 22/45 lights, I have 2 10/22’s and a SR 22.

So I’m not against Ruger. Just nothing centerfire.

Last edited:
I have to admit after all my years shooting. I’m not a Ruger fan.

Some .22’s sure.

But in general not a fan of anything by them which are center fire.

Change my mind?

ETA. I shoot 2 22/45 lights, I have 2 10/22’s and a SR 22.

So I’m not against Ruger. Just nothing centerfire.
The SFAR felt pretty nice when I shot it.

The SFAR felt pretty nice when I shot it.

I shot @Mesatchornug’s also that day. I liked it.

But we are were not precision shooting that day. (Edited this paragraph).

I think my issue with it was that it’s a third .308 pattern.

We don’t need two patterns, why make a third?

I think my issue with it was that it’s a third .308 pattern.

We don’t need two patterns, why make a third?
In this case? Because it's smaller and lighter with more commonality to the AR-15 pattern.

The smartest thing Ruger could do is to start licensing their design to as many (trusted) manufactures as possible so there will be more market availability. Let people buy barrels and uppers and build whatever variants they want...

In this case? Because it's smaller and lighter with more commonality to the AR-15 pattern.

The smartest thing Ruger could do is to start licensing their design to as many (trusted) manufactures as possible so there will be more market availability. Let people buy barrels and uppers and build whatever variants they want...
Good luck with that. Ruger seems very tight-fisted with whatever they design (which I sort of get). Everyone makes Glock after-market mags. No one makes Ruger or Sig aftermarket mags. By keeping it to themselves, you have to add more to the company profits instead of going outside.

Good luck with that. Ruger seems very tight-fisted with whatever they design (which I sort of get). Everyone makes Glock after-market mags. No one makes Ruger or Sig aftermarket mags. By keeping it to themselves, you have to add more to the company profits instead of going outside.
Nobody makes Sig mags? Sig doesn't make Sig mags - they buy them from Mec-Gar.

I said the smartest thing, not the most likely.

I'm sure you're right on this, and it's a shame. They have what could be a winner, but they need to take risks and likely won't.

I'm sure you're right on this, and it's a shame. They have what could be a winner, but they need to take risks and likely won't.
What do you make of the smattering of negative reports on the net? Just growing pains? Do you think the gun is solid otherwise (or will be in due time)? Sure looks good.

What do you make of the smattering of negative reports on the net? Just growing pains? Do you think the gun is solid otherwise (or will be in due time)? Sure looks good.
I'd lean towards growing pains until it proves to be systemic.

I like mine well enough, but haven't shot it enough to have strong opinions

Nobody makes Sig mags? Sig doesn't make Sig mags - they buy them from Mec-Gar.
Yes, Mec-Gar makes them, but except for some of the older Sig modes (P226 maybe), you can only buy Sig-branded mags. That's why they can get away with charging $49 - $59 for P365 mags, and $69 for P365 Macro mags. Even used, they hold their prices. Same with Ruger. LCP Max usually sells for around $380 ($480 MSRP), but a couple of spare mags will run you $40 each. (Less online, but when you add shipping nowadays it's close to the same).

Back
Top Bottom